Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is the point of the main screen when you press the phone button? Seeing a big Cingular logo is a waste. At the very least make it a water mark and display some upcoming appointments or tasks or favorite apps... something. To me the tab is wasted on a logo and nothing else.
    Actually you can fade the background and show upcoming events on that tab.

Just hit the menu key while you are in that screen and choose "Options" then "Phone Display Options"
    Apple iPhone, BlackBerry 8800 and a Treo 750 on the "new" at&t. Palm Centro on Sprint.
    I have read before Cingular is notorious for crippling some functions on devices they brand for use on their network. I wonder if there are any differences between the Cingular 680 and Palm unlocked 680 as far as function. I wonder if the software lag people are reporting is on the Cingular 680.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post
    Just hit the menu key while you are in that screen and choose "Options" then "Phone Display Options"
    Thats an improvement. I dont know how I missed it.
    But you can only show one event, right? I do agree that I think this tab is stupid, There should at least be an option to show the dialpad like on the 650 and 700p, instead of that being a separate tab. Seems like a huge waste to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I think the idea of that screen was to have some sort of home page where you could put your wallpaper and have some general info such as how many new messages you have and your next calendar event.

If you don't like it, then change the settings so that your phone button opens a different tab in the phone app.
    If would be nice if things actually worked right. The 680 has the same bug as the 700p (and I think the 650). If Versamail gets mail in the background, it doesn't show up in the phone app until you switch to Versamail and then back. Talk about a stupid bug! Why can't they fix this?
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Good points made by all. This page is definitely less useful than it was before, but you can always just ignore it. Set the prefs to open to the dial pad by default, if you want. The problem with this is that you can't initiate a contact search automatically from the dial pad. It will just start typing in numbers instead. And you don't get email, sms, and voicemail alerts from this page, either.

I always liked putting a picture there, which I would vary every few weeks or months. Just to give my phone a little more of a personal feel. I never even put a calendar event there, because the calendar is only one button away, anyway, and inevitably, it would choose some recurring event I didn't need to be reminded of, instead of the crucial appointment I was bound to forget. I think I'm in the minority on this, but I've always hated the idea of a "Today" screen. Too much clutter and way too ugly to put all of that info in one place.

But now I'm beta-testing DialByPhoto, which replaces the native phone app with an entirely new interface. It's still under development, but it's looking really sharp so far.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    If would be nice if things actually worked right. The 680 has the same bug as the 700p (and I think the 650). If Versamail gets mail in the background, it doesn't show up in the phone app until you switch to Versamail and then back. Talk about a stupid bug! Why can't they fix this?
    Really? Chatter seems to work correctly. So it's clearly possible.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    I always liked putting a picture there, which I would vary every few weeks or months. Just to give my phone a little more of a personal feel. I never even put a calendar event there, because the calendar is only one button away, anyway, and inevitably, it would choose some recurring event I didn't need to be reminded of, instead of the crucial appointment I was bound to forget. I think I'm in the minority on this, but I've always hated the idea of a "Today" screen. Too much clutter and way too ugly to put all of that info in one place.
    I use this screen for just a picture too. I visit my calendar each morning, so I know the appointments that are coming up. I think the tab is nice, just to add a little personalization to the phone, like you said. Could it be more functional......Sure, but i like it simple.

If you don't like this screen, you can just default it to another tab of your choice.
    I haven't tried Chatter so it might. I'm just really torqued that they can't fix a bug that's been there for at least 7 months with the 700p. They really seem to be doing everything they can to make the Windows version better. The 750v always updates the email correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    Really? Chatter seems to work correctly. So it's clearly possible.
    This is all true, but on the 650 and 700p you could get the dialpad and see the calendar appointment. Now you only the dialpad itself, no calendar, no dial buttons, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    I use this screen for just a picture too. I visit my calendar each morning, so I know the appointments that are coming up. I think the tab is nice, just to add a little personalization to the phone, like you said. Could it be more functional......Sure, but i like it simple.

If you don't like this screen, you can just default it to another tab of your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post
    I have read before Cingular is notorious for crippling some functions on devices they brand for use on their network. I wonder if there are any differences between the Cingular 680 and Palm unlocked 680 as far as function. I wonder if the software lag people are reporting is on the Cingular 680.
    I think this is a great question.. anybody have any ideas about limitations on a Cingular branded device vs unlocked? The lag issue would also be interesting to follow up on... any unbranded users experiencing lag?
  14.    #14  
    The answer inst to change the default tab to some other tab. That wasnt the point. Give me the option to put more "Today" type information on the page. Those that like to see a picture can turn all the stuff off. In other words give me the option. IMO this particular tab could be better utilized if I could customize it more.
    I much preferred the Phone App in the 650. a little smarter. I'm trying to find a way to run that app on the 680 but it won't work (says I don't have enough memory to run the app!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    I think this is a great question.. anybody have any ideas about limitations on a Cingular branded device vs unlocked? The lag issue would also be interesting to follow up on... any unbranded users experiencing lag?

Cingular user here...going on day 14 and have not had any lag at all. My Brother just bought an unlocked 680, and Cingular hasn't "clipped" anything from the Treo other than the sim lock (unlike some of the settings on the 650), and having the Cingy Jack Logo, along with all the other logo files the unlocked came with as well.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I have an unlocked Crimson and I'm experiencing the lag.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Try turning off the automatic Date and Time in the prefs. I have a feeling that's where the lag is coming from.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Another annoyance: In the favorites, when you press space to get the full list of numbers for a contact, it no longer indicates which number is mobile, home, work, etc. Am I supposed to remember which number is which for every contact?

They've really gone out of their way to make the favorites pretty useless on the 680.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Unlocked crimson -- no lag yet -- changed photo on phone tab -- but I did look at it for a few minutes in order to figure out the purpose of the tab.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast