Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have been on the 680 for 4 days now (GSM- unlocked- Red). Here are my conculsions... i will start with the POSITIVES:

+ Great form. Much nicer than my old 650, lighter, slimmer and the lack of exterior antena is GREAT
    + I like the buttons and how they feel-- huge improvement over 650
    + i like the addition of the SEND and END buttons... useful
    + Bluetooth is excellent.. now when you have a headset, the connection is faster, clearer and with no interference.

I still think the 680 is not perfect and some of the reasons amaze me! They are simple, and Palm could have easily dealt with them. I won't mention WiFi or 3G because i realize this phone is an "entery level" model. However, here are some major (some are small) flaws:

- Phone application looks nice, but functionally i prefer the 650 software because:
    1) The last numbers are now seperate from main log... in 650 you could just press redial to go to last numbers and then choose Call Log from the top to take you to Call log. In 680, the quick last numbers list (outgoing only) and the call log are seperate (two right button presses away)
    2) I cant believe Palm removed the call duration from the details of each log!!!!! 680 should be an improvement over 650... not the other way around.
    3) You cannot add Contact from Call Log... Again, very surprising backward move!
    4) I dont like the favourites and how they are listed in one column. Makes it more difficult to reach one (two columns are more accessable)
    5) The picture on Picture Call ID is much smaller than on 650.

- I started with my Vodafone (UK) SIM card and was so happy to see that SMS now has Delivery Reports as an option. Tested it and it was great. However, when i put my main SIM card (UAE), that option just dissappeared, to my surprise. I looked more into it, and found that Palm mentioned that this option depends on the carrier and if they carry this option! Well, UAE does have delivery reports on every phone, but why it doesnt work on Palm 680 is beyond me! The funny thing is that while on UAE network the option of delivery report is gone, you can still get SMS delivery rerports IF you create a new SMS and not reply (or in a chat)... VERY strange! PALM people... what the hell is this?

These are the things i found most important to mention. If anyone has a "fix" to any of my concern above let me know.

Ciao...

UPDATE on the responses below!

1) I also hate the fact that the SIM card is now behind battery which means a longer restart if you are switching SIM cards,

2) I noticed also that there is no way you can have the vibration (on sms and calls) happen ONLY when you are non-silent switch mode. 680 has the following options for vibrate: Always, Never, and When Sound Off. VERY dumb, if you ask me. I would like my phone to be on vibrate when the ringer is on and NOT vibrate (or ring) when the ringer switch is off! I can do it that now (quickly at least).

3) People who mentioned that names can be added from call log, they are right... it is different than the 650 in that it is in the menu. So, that it fine.

4) For those who asked for SMS delivery reports, it appears as an option under MMS Receipts, and appears as "SMS Receipts". Of course, as i mentioned, it appears ONLY when your carrier "supports" it as Palm put it. I wonder if i change my UAE SIM card to a new one... it may work.

5) Also, i have noticed that Bluetooth switches off on its own if not used for a certain period of time.. ANNOYING! I looked for adjustment everywhere .. coudlnt find it!

6) i certainly do not have call duration on my call log details! I have: Name, Number, Date and Time. If people are seeing it in their units, it maybe linked to "provider support" as in SMS delivery!!!!!
    Last edited by whajj; 12/05/2006 at 06:14 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    Actually somebody brought up the add contact from call log issue before...if you search the threads here there is a way to do it...I've just forgotten!
    I haven't seen an option for SMS delivery report anywhere. Where does it show up?
    For the most part, your review is also mine! I *adore* the new button feel, how they are flatter and easier to push. That is probably my favorite improvement, oddly enough!

I was surprised at how fast I got used to the home button being on the right side, doesn't bother me a bit.
    I'm a chick who enjoys the finer things in life
    Quote Originally Posted by whajj View Post
    1) The last numbers are now seperate from main log... in 650 you could just press redial to go to last numbers and then choose Call Log from the top to take you to Call log. In 680, the quick last numbers list (outgoing only) and the call log are seperate (two right button presses away)
    2) I cant believe Palm removed the call duration from the details of each log!!!!! 680 should be an improvement over 650... not the other way around.
    3) You cannot add Contact from Call Log... Again, very surprising backward move!
    4) I dont like the favourites and how they are listed in one column. Makes it more difficult to reach one (two columns are more accessable)
    5) The picture on Picture Call ID is much smaller than on 650.

Quote Originally Posted by dorfmunder View Post
    For the most part, your review is also mine! I *adore* the new button feel, how they are flatter and easier to push. That is probably my favorite improvement, oddly enough!

I was surprised at how fast I got used to the home button being on the right side, doesn't bother me a bit.

This is EXACTLY my list of negatives as well!!! I LOVE the 680, but those few little things, especially the call log (killing me to get used to), have me really frustrated, especially when I am driving, and trying not to have to look at my Treo as little as possible. I was so use to using the call log to manage everything, especially new contact info. It's only been 13 days with the 680 so far, so I know I will get used to these last few things, but these are the things, as you say, that we really should not have to get used to.

Thanks for your observations!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by whajj
    Are you saying that if someone calls you that is not on your contact list that you cannot add them as a contact without manually typing in their phone number again??

If that is the case, then that is just crazy. Even my $50 Motorola L2 can do that as can every phone I have owned in the last 5 years.
    ????

You can add contacts from the call log. Just highlight the number on the Call Log, and the first option that pops up on the Record menu is "Add Contact."

I'm a new user so I guess I had no idea how it would have worked before.
    Yes, I agree with Vks (and I was a 650 user) -- you just highlight the phone #, click the menu button and "Add Contact" is the first menu item, where you can set it up as a new contact or add to an existing contact. Also, the call duration IS there in the call details on my 680, exactly the same as it was on the 650. Again, if you hit the menu botton while the call record is highlighted, click on details and the call duration is there!
    I'm confused, where is the call duration? I've looked at the both the Cingular and unlocked versions and I can't find the call duration. There is a total call duration for all calls, but the length of each call is missing in the details window. Where do you see it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Yes, I agree with Vks (and I was a 650 user) -- you just highlight the phone #, click the menu button and "Add Contact" is the first menu item, where you can set it up as a new contact or add to an existing contact. Also, the call duration IS there in the call details on my 680, exactly the same as it was on the 650. Again, if you hit the menu botton while the call record is highlighted, click on details and the call duration is there!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Pretty much the same way it listed on my 650. In the Call details, it lists like this:

Name:
    Number:
    Date:
    Time:
    Duration:

and the duration lists in minutes and seconds.
    I have the first four items but not duration. Strange!
    The only calls that don't list duration in mine are Missed calls, which end with Time.
    My unlocked Crimson Crusader doesn't have duration either... uncool. Actually, I don't remember call duration on my 650, either. At least I have totals...
    use the overlay hack. search for it..it might work
    I seemed to remember a Shadowmite phone overlay which caused the call durations to appear... or is my memory faulty?

I would check http://www.shadowmite.com to see what you can find. Of course, those were 650 overlays ... may not work at all on the 680.
    I've noticed the following:

My bluetooth connection is MUCH clearer in my car.
    My car (BMW) now reads my entire contact list, not just my favorites.
    My mail is SO much faster. Is this because I am using the Versamail instead of the Snapper that I used in my 650?
    I think my internet is faster too, but I haven't really used it too much yet.
    Mine only has time, no duration. Cingular phone.
    Cingular removes the call duration and enable-network-selection options. 650 guys had hacks done.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by lattelady View Post
    I've noticed the following:

My bluetooth connection is MUCH clearer in my car.
    My car (BMW) now reads my entire contact list, not just my favorites.
    My mail is SO much faster. Is this because I am using the Versamail instead of the Snapper that I used in my 650?
    I think my internet is faster too, but I haven't really used it too much yet.

Nice. Can I ask which BMW you have and which bluetooth system you have in it?

I have a 2006 X5 with the Bluetooth Assist package and I'm planning to get a Treo 680 this week.
    I have an unlocked Crimson 680. No duration listed at all. It's not Cingular unless the sim affects it. But I get duration on my 750v. ChristieC do you have a phone overlay hack or something? I've not seen any 680 that has the duration, it's missing on both the Cingular and the unlocked 680 on the ones I've tried.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast