Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No offense but I really doubt this (BMW contacts). No Treo has ever synced anything but the favorites. I've tried a 650, 680, 700p, 700w, 700wx, and 750v on a 2006 BMW 330i and all of them ONLY transfer the favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by lattelady View Post
    I've noticed the following:

My bluetooth connection is MUCH clearer in my car.
    My car (BMW) now reads my entire contact list, not just my favorites.
    My mail is SO much faster. Is this because I am using the Versamail instead of the Snapper that I used in my 650?
    I think my internet is faster too, but I haven't really used it too much yet.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    No offense but I really doubt this (BMW contacts). No Treo has ever synced anything but the favorites. I've tried a 650, 680, 700p, 700w, 700wx, and 750v on a 2006 BMW 330i and all of them ONLY transfer the favorites.
    as far as i can see, my bmw does show all of the contacts in my treo (i haven't tried to scroll through all 200+, so i'm not 100% positive). what do you mean by favorites? do you mean the contacts that you added to the favorites tab in the phone application? if so, my bmw is definitely showing me more than that as i only have 4 numbers in the favorites section so far...
    Yes, by favorites I mean the contacts added to the favorites tab. I'm definitely only seeing those contacts. I've got three hundred contacts and those are not showing up in the BMW. I've never seen anyone report that anything other than the favorites transferred to any car, let alone the finicky BMW bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by r6girl View Post
    as far as i can see, my bmw does show all of the contacts in my treo (i haven't tried to scroll through all 200+, so i'm not 100% positive). what do you mean by favorites? do you mean the contacts that you added to the favorites tab in the phone application? if so, my bmw is definitely showing me more than that as i only have 4 numbers in the favorites section so far...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes, by favorites I mean the contacts added to the favorites tab. I'm definitely only seeing those contacts. I've got three hundred contacts and those are not showing up in the BMW. I've never seen anyone report that anything other than the favorites transferred to any car, let alone the finicky BMW bluetooth.
    so, i just went into the garage to check the contacts that upload to my X3, and it's definitely more than the favorites (still only 4 in my favorites so far), but it's not all of my contacts. i counted - there are 63 contacts that load into my X3 from my treo (out of 200+), but the contacts that load do not match any contact categories on my treo! it seems to be some random subset of my contacts that upload. ugh. it's late. i'm tired. i have no idea why it works this way...
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Sorry for the late follow up response. Few points:

1) I also hate the fact that the SIM card is now behind battery which means a longer restart if you are switching SIM cards,

2) I noticed also that there is no way you can have the vibration (on sms and calls) happen ONLY when you are non-silent switch mode. 680 has the following options for vibrate: Always, Never, and When Sound Off. VERY dumb, if you ask me. I would like my phone to be on vibrate when the ringer is on and NOT vibrate (or ring) when the ringer switch is off! I can do it that now (quickly at least).

3) People who mentioned that names can be added from call log, they are right... it is different than the 650 in that it is in the menu. So, that it fine.

4) For those who asked for SMS delivery reports, it appears as an option under MMS Receipts, and appears as "SMS Receipts". Of course, as i mentioned, it appears ONLY when your carrier "supports" it as Palm put it. I wonder if i change my UAE SIM card to a new one... it may work.

5) Also, i have noticed that Bluetooth switches off on its own if not used for a certain period of time.. ANNOYING! I looked for adjustment everywhere .. coudlnt find it!
    speed increase over 650 noted for me, too
    -web browsing maybe 2X old...though I haven't actually tested.
    -avantgo actually can sync over the air now! That never worked before...always timed out.

Anyone know how they did it? Or am I imaging this, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    This is EXACTLY my list of negatives as well!!! I LOVE the 680, but those few little things, especially the call log (killing me to get used to), have me really frustrated, especially when I am driving, and trying not to have to look at my Treo as little as possible. I was so use to using the call log to manage everything, especially new contact info. It's only been 13 days with the 680 so far, so I know I will get used to these last few things, but these are the things, as you say, that we really should not have to get used to.

Thanks for your observations!!!
    I wonder if Simon at TakePhone has come up with a version to fix all of these issues for the 680. He did such a nice job of overcoming the bad phone issues for the 650.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I'm so frustrated with this thing I'm ready to return it. New models are supposed to be BETTER.

I realize that I need some time to get used to things, but the new phone app sucks. It's "simpler" interface makes things harder to do. The fact that they removed th automatic "look up contact and if not found, then dial the number" feature... why???

My 650 was cingular so I never had the duration listed until I got the shadomite overlay. Why would an unlocked device not show duration either? It's the most basic feature a phone can have yet cingular has deemed it as information that we shouldn't have. Not to mention cingular shouldnt even have their say in an unlocked phone. I look forward to the 680 overlay, hopefully without the sprint "GPS disabled" icon this time.

I use "alert beep" for emails. But it seems it now "fades in" so slow that you can barely hear it! (and no I have the "escelating ring tones" off, even though it should have nothing to do with it..) Changing the volume does nothing above 4.

LED no longer blinks indicating service status. Why?

Green button does one thing. What a waste of a button.

You call this plastic peice of crap a stylus?

I like the way the 680 fits in my hand, better than the 650, but found it cramps my hand more if you are working on it for an extended period of time.

I'm done.
    Coming as a NEW treo user, I guess I don't really understand all the complaints about the new phone application. Right out of the box, everything was very intuitive as to how a phone should work; the interface was as straightforward as the motos and the SEs which I've owned over the years. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm pretty happy with it
    It's only the older users complaining hehe. Gotta learn new ways
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinewizard View Post
    Coming as a NEW treo user, I guess I don't really understand all the complaints about the new phone application. Right out of the box, everything was very intuitive as to how a phone should work; the interface was as straightforward as the motos and the SEs which I've owned over the years. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm pretty happy with it
    Me too. I played with the 700p in the store, and the old phone app was definately not as nice or as logical about where or how to do things.

I think most 650/700p users are simply used to the way they did things on their own phone and are resisting change.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
    I use "alert beep" for emails. But it seems it now "fades in" so slow that you can barely hear it! (and no I have the "escelating ring tones" off, even though it should have nothing to do with it..) Changing the volume does nothing above 4.
    Yeah I noticed this too. Looks like the escalating feature is applied to the Mesaging tone regardless of its setting in the call tones screen.

I had to go in with HOHO and add a 120 delay to my tone to override this
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinewizard View Post
    Then Palm did what hoped to do with the 60, as YOU, the new Treo user are Palm's target audience.

Mission Accomplished
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    I had to go in with HOHO and add a 120 delay to my tone to override this
    I re-recorded the sound on the 680 by playing it from my 650, but added a delay to the beginning...works ok, just doesn't sound as nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Then Palm did what hoped to do with the 60, as YOU, the new Treo user are Palm's target audience.

Mission Accomplished
    Very true! And people using older models keep forgetting that, LOL! The 680 only has the higher number because it's a newer model, not because it's a true upgrade to the 650, except for the memory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    They should have called it the 630.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Very true! And people using older models keep forgetting that, LOL! The 680 only has the higher number because it's a newer model, not because it's a true upgrade to the 650, except for the memory.
    You guys also have to keep in mind that you are not <necessarily> the target audience for this device, at least not as Palm intends. They're going after the net new user - trying to GROW the user base, and the feedback they'd had was that the phone app in previous models was not 'phone-ish' enough - too PDA-ish.

In fact, some of the comments in this thread from the new user(s) bear this out - that they found the phone app very easy and intuitive to use, as they've said.

People never want change. What about those 600 users who didn't like the menu key moving up on the 650 right under the screen, and then there were those who were all bummed that they couldn't reprogram all 4 application hard buttons on their 650, etc etc. It just goes on and on.

Ya gotta look at the big picture and understand the overall set of changes that were made, and look at the target audience with this device. As stated above, the 680 isn't a wholesale upgrade (shouldn't the price be your first clue - $199 with new contract); rather, it's a product going after what Palm calls the 'mobile accomplisher'. Growing the market, not just trying to satisfy us geek heads on this forum who make up a VERY small percentage of the total user base.
    However, if I still used the Palm OS, I'd have bought an unlocked one. The design changes are refreshing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
    I re-recorded the sound on the 680 by playing it from my 650, but added a delay to the beginning...works ok, just doesn't sound as nice.
    Yeah, it'd definately be better for you if you could edit the original midi via HOHO
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So far, so good. I love just inserting my Cingular SIM and everything works.

It's feeling laggy though.

MissingSync (still confusing with that merge dialog) works fine. Docs to go syncs; zero problems.... still going...

Music pack is full of Windows-only .exe. Lametarded.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast