Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Garmin or TomTom? Something else?
    If you want a pretty interface get Tom Tom.

If you want the most precise database get Garmin.

Maybe someday someone will have both characteristics in one product.

RicardoG
    Great maps and good directions without satellite and FREE = Googlemaps.prc
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Garmin Mobile 10 and Mobile 20 are about to ship. It looks very promising and I am hoping to dump TomTom like a bad habit. TT's customer support and retention (i.e. upgrade path) just plain sucks and their POI database still is off by years in terms of accuracy. Now we see that TT6 doesn't work on the Treo 680. So let me get this straight....s small developer like Marc at Chatter can get a Treo 680 in advance to develop and insure app compatibilty but TomTom cannot swing it? TT are just plain marketing whores.

FWIW - the Garmin Mobile 20 is late and I have heard the 680 is one reason why - to insure compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Great maps and good directions without satellite and FREE = Googlemaps.prc
    Can you run Googlemaps offline? I'm only getting prepaid voice service, and I have some old maps (circa 2003 or earlier) from Mapopolis on my Treo 90, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for maps on the 680.
    Not only do I believe you cannot run GoogleMaps off line, but even on line, there is no software I know of that uses GoogleMaps with satellite location. I think someone will be doing it soon, however.
  7.    #7  
    What's the difference between Mobile 10 and 20?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoposer View Post
    What's the difference between Mobile 10 and 20?
    The 10 uses a standalone BT receiver, whereas the BT receiver is built into the in-car cradle of the 20.

Which means if you want to walk about with your GPS in your pocket, you are better off with the 10, but if you do it all in one car the 20 would be better.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Any comments on Telenav Service?
    Telenav is AWESOME. I have been using it for about 5 months and it is wonderful. The turn bu turn directions are great. Telenav has never been wrong on every trip I have been on. Love this service.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Can you run Googlemaps offline? I'm only getting prepaid voice service, and I have some old maps (circa 2003 or earlier) from Mapopolis on my Treo 90, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for maps on the 680.
    Delorme's Street Atlas USA syncs to PalmOS devices. It should work fine on a 680, and you can also use GPS if it's important to you.

It's a great product - I keep maps of cities I visit regularly on it. In addition to the mapping, you can also find lots of phone numbers in it as well.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...minisite=10020
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    Telenav is AWESOME. I have been using it for about 5 months and it is wonderful. The turn bu turn directions are great. Telenav has never been wrong on every trip I have been on. Love this service.
    Yea, Telenav looked promising. I like the subscription model as it theoretically should mean the most current maps and POIs since its all centralized. But I cannot use it since I travel the globe and need other countries supported. Right now I don't think Telenav even supports Canada, does it?
    My dad just got the TeleNav and thinks it's great. It is a lower cost up front, the maps will always be up to date, and the data, like points of interest are very detailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    ... Right now I don't think Telenav even supports Canada, does it?
    I can tell you that Tom Tom's maps of Canada are hopelessly out of date, at least in the section of BC where I am right now. Many, and I mean many, streets do not even appear and I am often (about 30% of the time by my estimation) either 250 yards east west north or south of whatever road I am on. At first I thought it was the satellites, and then the terrain, but it seems the maps themselves are completely erroneous except in the cities.
    Thanks for the posts on Garmin. I was going to wait for TT but will have a look at the Garmin products instead
    Last edited by mceb; 12/05/2006 at 10:17 AM.
    moderateinny,

I am not sure if they support Canada. If you go to their site, they have a board that you can ask all types of questions or just give them a call and ask.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    moderateinny,

I am not sure if they support Canada. If you go to their site, they have a board that you can ask all types of questions or just give them a call and ask.
    How does TeleNAV work?? I was reading the terms and conditions and it seemed as if I had to dial a phone number to receive their GPS info (as oppossed to via the Web). Is this the case? If so, getting info via a phone connection would use up my phone minutes in a hurry; whereas, I have an unlimited web/data plan. Do you have to dial to access the service????
    No, it uses the data connection only. I understand that there is some number you can call that has an operator (or computer) that you can ask to find an address for a location. The service then adds the address to your Telenav account.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokey View Post
    No, it uses the data connection only. I understand that there is some number you can call that has an operator (or computer) that you can ask to find an address for a location. The service then adds the address to your Telenav account.
    Thanks for clarifying this. I think I'm going to try this service.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I can tell you that Tom Tom's maps of Canada are hopelessly out of date, at least in the section of BC where I am right now. Many, and I mean many, streets do not even appear and I am often (about 30% of the time by my estimation) either 250 yards east west north or south of whatever road I am on. At first I thought it was the satellites, and then the terrain, but it seems the maps themselves are completely erroneous except in the cities.
    Tell me about it! I was driving on the QEW a few months ago and I got on the 401(?) - a new expressway - and it wasn't even on the TT!

I really hope Garmin is worthwhile....I'm so sick of TT.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast