Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hmmm...don't know what to say. That was the part I liked.
    How well does this receiver work?

http://shop.treonauts.com/content/ac...0-95--1170.htm
    I just got my 680. What is wrong with using the Mapopolis program I already have (used it with my 600)? I have e-mailed Semsons about a new PDA Cable for Haicom, i.Trek S1/S3 Mouse GPS that will work with the 680.
  4.    #44  
    Mapopolis doesnt look very impressive
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoposer View Post
    Mapopolis doesnt look very impressive
    Could you please be a bit more vague?

What is it about Mapopolis that makes you say it doesn't look very impressive. Do you own it? Have you used it? Or are you judging it by screen shots you found somewhere?

It may not look "state of the GPS art" any more, but I'll tell you something it can do that I don't know of any other PalmOS-based GPS system can do - it can handle six different kinds of GPS receivers:

Serial connection
    Treo Serial connection
    CF connection
    Infrared connection
    Bluetooth connection
    and
    "Special" connection

What's "special connection", you ask? There are GPS receivers in the form factor of an SDIO card. Pretec and Panasonic made them.

They look like this:

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/sdiogps.jpg

That's the Panasonic in my Treo 650.. The Pretec is to the right and although its business end is bigger than the Panasonic, it was also hinged so it folded forward or backwards, in case you accidentally whacked it against something, it couldn't break off. The Panasonic is one solid piece

I reviewed these (along with Mapopolis).. for a magazine that no longer exists about a year and a half ago. The Treo 650 and a TapWave Zodiac II were my review platforms at the time and I still have Mapopolis installed on both of them, although these days, I use current model Bluetooth GPS receivers with the SiRF Star III chipset. So although they're a couple years old and not equipped with the latest / fastest chipset (which didn't exist at the time).. Mapopolis can use them. I don't know of any other PalmOS GPS software that can talk to six different kinds of GPS receivers

EMTAC Navigator (which I recently reviewed here).. and TeleNav (which I'm in the process of reviewing).. can only use Bluetooth GPS receivers. Not sure what TomTom can talk to, I've never used it

Harv
    Good god, when I thought SDIO GPS it would be small.. No way I'd go around with that hockey puck on the top... Yikes!

I'll stick with my bluetooth GPS in my cargos, thanks
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Could you please be a bit more vague?

What is it about Mapopolis that makes you say it doesn't look very impressive. Do you own it? Have you used it? Or are you judging it by screen shots you found somewhere?

It may not look "state of the GPS art" any more, but I'll tell you something it can do that I don't know of any other PalmOS-based GPS system can do - it can handle six different kinds of GPS receivers:

Serial connection
    Treo Serial connection
    CF connection
    Infrared connection
    Bluetooth connection
    and
    "Special" connection

What's "special connection", you ask? There are GPS receivers in the form factor of an SDIO card. Pretec and Panasonic made them.

They look like this:

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/sdiogps.jpg

That's the Panasonic in my Treo 650.. The Pretec is to the right and although its business end is bigger than the Panasonic, it was also hinged so it folded forward or backwards, in case you accidentally whacked it against something, it couldn't break off. The Panasonic is one solid piece

I reviewed these (along with Mapopolis).. for a magazine that no longer exists about a year and a half ago. The Treo 650 and a TapWave Zodiac II were my review platforms at the time and I still have Mapopolis installed on both of them, although these days, I use current model Bluetooth GPS receivers with the SiRF Star III chipset. So although they're a couple years old and not equipped with the latest / fastest chipset (which didn't exist at the time).. Mapopolis can use them. I don't know of any other PalmOS GPS software that can talk to six different kinds of GPS receivers

EMTAC Navigator (which I recently reviewed here).. and TeleNav (which I'm in the process of reviewing).. can only use Bluetooth GPS receivers. Not sure what TomTom can talk to, I've never used it

Harv
    The price is right, but the maps look like a child drew them.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123