Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    The Garmin 20 also seems to come with a charger and mini-SD card (not useful for the 680). Garmin 10 just has a DVD with all the maps, I guess you are supposed to load them to your SD card?
    I like the TomTom interface but I've been frustrated by the map data and other things as compared to my old Pocket PC version of Mapopolis. Mapopolis would tell me if the destination was on the right or left as I approached it. TomTom also doesn't give me enough prompts about upcoming turns and I've had several occasions where I was approaching an exit I needed to take and TomTom didn't tell me I needed to take it - it was like it thought the exit was the main road. Only by looking closely at the map itself could I see that it intended for me to take the exit. I'm on v5 now - is the newer version compatible with the Treo 700p and, if so, does it fix any of these things?

What about the Garmin app - I can just buy the app by itself (without a GPS unit), right? How does it fare in the issues/features I mentioned above?

Regarding TeleNav...Does this maintain a constant data connection while you're using it? That seems like it would be a problem.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mceb View Post
    Thanks for the posts on Garmin. I was going to wait for TT but will have a look at the Garmin products instead
    I was leaning towards TT but after eading this Any TT6 on a Treo 650 supporters, it just went down $50 to $249.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    What about the Garmin app - I can just buy the app by itself (without a GPS unit), right? How does it fare in the issues/features I mentioned above?
    With the Garmin, the BT hardware receiver unit has a serial number which it broadcasts.

The maps also have your hardware serial number encoded into them, when you first load the maps onto your PC. So if you try to use another BT hardware receiver you will find that the maps are blank.

So you will be able to try out the Garmin GPS software with out buying their BT receiver, but you will not be able to test the maps.

It may seem a crazy system, but you do not get many problems installing the software or maps, unlike TomTom systems
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by treoposer View Post
    The Garmin 20 also seems to come with a charger and mini-SD card (not useful for the 680). Garmin 10 just has a DVD with all the maps, I guess you are supposed to load them to your SD card?
    If you buy it direct from Garmin it appears you can "customize" your order and get a DVD instead of the mini-SD. I'm getting the Mobile 20 because I'll need the cradle anyway and if I can get it on DVD, fine. If not, I'll just copy everything to my 2GB SD card like I did with TT6.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    With the Garmin, the BT hardware receiver unit has a serial number which it broadcasts.

The maps also have your hardware serial number encoded into them, when you first load the maps onto your PC. So if you try to use another BT hardware receiver you will find that the maps are blank.

So you will be able to try out the Garmin GPS software with out buying their BT receiver, but you will not be able to test the maps.

It may seem a crazy system, but you do not get many problems installing the software or maps, unlike TomTom systems
    Actually, this is something I do not like about Garmin. I'd like the option of using a 3rd party GPS system. I found the BT GPS that came with TT6 to be a valuable back up to the Seidio 2350s I have - especially since it died convieniently one month after it went out of warranty - gotta love that Seidio quality.

Geesh...I sure hope Garmin is worth the free hype I've given them up here. I haven't even tried the app myself so it could be worse than TT6 for all I know!
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Geesh...I sure hope Garmin is worth the free hype I've given them up here. I haven't even tried the app myself so it could be worse than TT6 for all I know!
    I'm currently using the old version, Garmin GPS10-Deluxe, and it works really well. Very low memory requirement, and it loads in about 2 seconds, which means you can pop into you datebook and back during navigation without up setting it

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps10/
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I just get my tomtom 6. Its great. browsing the maps without getting online is perfect working. I like it. The only one not nice thing is: it is very slowly. Means, by driving in my car it takes so long by tracking my positions. Perhaps thats a minus because of bluetooth receiver.....
    Thanks for the info. I was about ready to buy TT6 bundle with DVD and BT receiver for my 700w but I guess I should do some more research. Seems like the $250 price was a good one. I'll look into the garmin as well.

If anyone uses TT6 in the NE and SE U.S. please let us know how it works for you as these are my two main locations of tavel.
    Can someone tell me if the Telenav system 'requires' you to have a phone connection - since there are many times I am in areas of zero cell coverage and I would prefer a system that uses the maps you have on SD card?

Or is the subscription just to download updated maps?

Thanks.
    Well I have been reading about TeleNav and it seems like a good deal. If you equal out the price of getting a TT for $250 or, a years worth of TN is certainly attractive comparatively. Plus you get updates. Still looking, but TN looks like an attractive option right now.

EDIT: I will say one thing that concerns me. I am not sure about other GPS solutions but the need to have a constant web connection may be an issue. I dont know enough to know what I don't know on the topic just yet but it seems it would be safer to have the map info downloaded and stored on ones PDA than wait for it to be downloaded via data web access. Unless I am misunderstanding how Telenav works.

Heck the new Garmin 10/20 isnt even out yet. Don't know how good or bad it will be.

Maybe the TomTom isnt the worse solution I thought it was?
    Last edited by itgl72; 12/08/2006 at 09:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Not only do I believe you cannot run GoogleMaps off line, but even on line, there is no software I know of that uses GoogleMaps with satellite location. I think someone will be doing it soon, however.
    No, you can't run PalmOS Google Maps without a data connection and no, it is not GPS-aware. Maybe some day it will be. Until then, TeleNav is the next best thing, although it does not show a satellite view, just a "paper map" style view. I'll have a lot more to say about TeleNav in my upcoming review. I have it loaded both on my 700p (internally) and on my 650 (on its SD card) and it works equally well on both of them with barely any speed difference pulling down maps and voice data even though one phone is EVDO and the other is 1xRTT, the difference in speed of pulling down the data is negligible

However, there's no reason you can't have both Google Maps (for what it can do) and TeleNav (for what it does) on the same Treo. I have both of them on my 700p.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    For what its worth: I am still using my TT5 in my 700p. Best thing ever. Not a hitch after some installation pains when I moved from the 650. I have the freedom to chose which BT GPS I want to use, can take it with me when travelling, get a rental, fire up the receiver and off I go.
    I do use the Garmin 496 for aviation and it comes with land nav. I still feel that the TT is the better one for the road. I have to move up to the TT6 someday soon. Waiting to hear from those who have 6 on the 700p.
    For those on the fence, TT is a good and fun prg when you add diff voices and poi which you can add yourself, like starbucks.
    You want cradle, I got mine when I bought my BT M3 GPS grom semsons. Only, I upgraded from free to a powered one. Works very well. They sent me a cable specific for the Treo 650/700. It charges the treo and the GPS.
    Just my .02$
    I am reasonably certain that TT6 is checking the model ID and they haven't added the 680 yet. It's a lazy bit of programming to do it that way though IMO.

I wish there were an app to spoof the model ID the same way you can use changename to change the user ID, ROM version, etc.
    for you telenav users...

What happens if you are on a trip, and hit a dead spot with no cell/data coverage but have GPS coverage? Is the information already downloaded to the Treo or does it all just stop right there.

It seems like once you download the needed map for the trip you should be able to keep it stored and not need to call home via web again.

Correct me if I am wrong
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itgl72 View Post
    for you telenav users...

What happens if you are on a trip, and hit a dead spot with no cell/data coverage but have GPS coverage? Is the information already downloaded to the Treo or does it all just stop right there.

It seems like once you download the needed map for the trip you should be able to keep it stored and not need to call home via web again.

Correct me if I am wrong
    I'm doing prep work for a review of TeleNav this month (it's installed on both my Sprint 700p and 650).. and I put your question to one of their lead Managers with whom I've been in contact, (I do a lot of technical checking before I sit down to pound out a review..) .. and offer up his words as a response, which I trust will answer your concerns:

"I double checked with our engineering team and they did confirm that as long as you download the route before leaving coverage, the application behavior will not change if you lose coverage. The end user will continue to receive the voice directions and the moving map will continue running, even outside of coverage. If the end user deviates from the route provided by TeleNav GPS Navigator while out of coverage, the application will not be able to download the new route."

By the way, go to http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/demo.html and check out the short Flash demo. It's far from a complete demo of how everything works, but will give you an idea. If you already have a Bluetooth GPS receiver, you can buy a month's worth of TeleNav for ten bucks and try it out yourself. The actual PalmOS TeleNav app is only about 700k and it'll work exactly the same whether it's installed into internal memory or on an SD card. Plus, in my initial testing, it functions at virtually the same speed on my 700p (EVDO - app installed internally..) versus my 650 (1xRTT - app installed to an SD card..). This was a pleasant surprise. It's an interesting and well-engineered product although like any software, it's not perfect, and I made a number of suggestions to them for GUI enhancements which I hope make it into the next update

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  17.    #37  
    Does anyone know when Garmin 10/20 will be released?
    I used Seidio's BT GPS reciever and Delorme Maps. The reciever was really fast on acquiring a signal and rarely lost it.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So it didn't seem like anyone explained this earlier in the thread but this is what I got from the flash demo.

Telenav on the treo is essentially an application you load to your phone which downloads map information from a central server. For the Treo you must have a SEPARATE gps receiver which I assume you buy on your own.

So what you get is essentially continuously updated maps that you must be around data coverage to get, without having to pay the $100-$150 upfront cost of the tomtom software. You do pay a monthly fee, you do pay for a gps reciever, and you do pay for a cradle/charger for your treo.

If the fine folks at Tomtom weren't such douchenozzles about getting out map updates this would be a no brainer and I'd go with the tomtom any day.

Let me know if I got any of this wrong (btw, the douchenozzle remark was just hyperbole so no need to comment on that).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast