Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    In Austin,Tx the Sprint service is good, so didn't notice this one. Now on a business trip and while on plane.. no service.
    Understandable, but my Sprint 700p just froze.. forever. Only way to recover is to reset into "safe mode" (No phone functions available). Had to go in and turn off any app that called for the phone to be on.. TomTom6 , Butler options, etc..
    Heads up, if you go on a plane or outside service, turn off the phone part of Treo

Now, it might have frozen for 10-15 min.. but I have a lot of patients.. to me that is Locked up/ frozen.
    That is BULL$4it...

What software dev. would give 100% priority to the phone being in service or not?

Has anyone else noticed this? I saw some complaints a while back about subway and the Treo freezing..

Add this pile of crap to the list... Bluetooth, cache management, and hede issues.

Wheres the update? Seriously, any news?

Funny, tonight people were asking me what I thought about Palm. They are not on my bad side so I was honest, I told them to stay clear unless you have A LOT of patients and technical.
    When I had my T3 and older hardware, I swore by palm's side..

What a shame way to lose, esp. to Microsoft..

Disclaimer: I know there are some of you who don't install anything on your Treo and don't have all these issues, but I personally can't stick with far outdated applications and I expect more from a "SmartPhone". How would you feel about buying a Windows flavor box and being told not to install ANYTHING else for stability. I know this is a b!thing session.. Sorry. Just want others to know they are not alone.
    So please be easy on the flames..

I think where Palm really screwed up is the fact that they CHANGED something in the OS from 650 to 700 and didn't inform the developers on everything. Else we wouldn't have this problems with 3rd party.

I thought the market learned from ATari and other bus. mistakes in the past..
    Im off the box..
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 12/04/2006 at 12:38 AM.
    When the Treo has no signal, it constantly keeps trying to aquire a signal, nonstop, thats why it looks like its frozen or laggin, just turn off the radio when your in an area with no signal that way it will stop trying to get a signal.
    This bug has been known for some time. Actually, it started all the way back on the 650, with the 1.08 firmware, and has been a problem ever since.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    In Austin,Tx the Sprint service is good, so didn't notice this one. Now on a business trip and while on plane.. no service.
    Understandable, but my Sprint 700p just froze.. forever. Only way to recover is to reset into "safe mode" (No phone functions available). Had to go in and turn off any app that called for the phone to be on.. TomTom6 , Butler options, etc..
    Heads up, if you go on a plane or outside service, turn off the phone part of Treo
    rant=
    dude: while you may not agree (and technicans / engineer types might not agree) the rules of every airline *require* you to turn off your phone. Consider it a license- you get to fly and use the organizer/media player functions of your treo -if you turn off the phone.. for me a fair exchange.

If you rtfm you would know that the big red button on the right side of your phone turns off service.

/rant
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    rant=
    dude: while you may not agree (and technicans / engineer types might not agree) the rules of every airline *require* you to turn off your phone. Consider it a license- you get to fly and use the organizer/media player functions of your treo -if you turn off the phone.. for me a fair exchange.

If you rtfm you would know that the big red button on the right side of your phone turns off service.

/rant
    I am sure Wilsonb is aware of the requirement of turning off the phone during flight. I think he is saying his Treo froze BECAUSE of the phone being turned off ...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brichter21 View Post
    I am sure Wilsonb is aware of the requirement of turning off the phone during flight. I think he is saying his Treo froze BECAUSE of the phone being turned off ...
    no the freeze only occurs if phone is on and there is no service
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    /rant
    Lazaruz, Thanks for pointing that out.. your a savior

Did you really read the original post?
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Thanks brichter21.

Here's the beef, when you have apps that "use" internet and don't disable the internet option in those apps before losing signal, it's hard to turn them off after the fact..

I didn't notice this problem before.. but heard about it.

I was trying to raise awareness to something.. (Help out)

I am aware of Airline rules.. thanks lazaruz
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I agree with everything Wilsonb said.
    I recently changed routes to work and have to take a train underground for an extended period of time. I noticed that ptunes and other apps "stutter" like crazy. Sometimes I just see a light in my pocket and it's coming from the 700p trying to connect despite the 5 second auto shutdown when it's locked. It can last seconds to many minutes just trying to connect everytime it gets sprint or roaming services.

Palm ought to do something about this, but im not holding my breath on this and neither should you. Dont bother turning it off, it's just a waste of time and you might forget to turn it back on if it isnt already activiated accidently seconds later after you turn it off by apps like web, verichat, etc.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Dont bother turning it off, it's just a waste of time and you might forget to turn it back on if it isn't already activated accidently seconds later after you turn it off by apps like web, verichat, etc.
    Camel,

Thanks for taking the time to contribute. I think it depends on why the signal is not available. For example, you go on a cruse on the ship, a plan ahead thing would be to turn it off when you no longer see land. Many might not think about this and the phone freezes..

It sounds like in your situation you would leave it on since your in and out of coverage freq. Or keep it off when being in those areas/situations and have it turned it on/off with schedules.

As far as remembering to turn it back on, alot of us have that problem. Try Butler for the feature of turning the radio on Monday-Sun. certain times.
    That way, your sure to have the radio on by a certain time, including after resets. I often forgot to turn the radio back on.
    Butler helped me with this.
    Caution, Butler might cause a lag.. catch 22

Thanks again..Hope this helps ya.
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 12/05/2006 at 02:33 AM.
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    Lazaruz, Thanks for pointing that out.. your a savior

Did you really read the original post?
    i did if there was any confusion it was because the original post was poorly written
    If you are interested in have different profiles for different scenarios, another option to consider is ProfileCare. Related to this thread, you can set up timed or manual profiles such as "Airplane" which can turn off the radio and then back on again after the flight.

It also has another option where it will turn the radio off if the signal is lost for x minutes and then check again every y minutes. I don't use this function and can't test it right now, but believe it will turn the radio on again once it checks and finds a signal.

Just thought I'd throw it out fyi.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ProfileCare is great, but it caused SEVERE lags on my 700p. I'm waiting for the rumored update from Palm in hope that I can use PC again.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Wilsonb is just expressing what we all know today.

Now with the 700p this is just a nasty behaviour. I work in an office environment and in my cube (I'm a cube-commando ) reception is poor. If I leave the radio ON the phone will freeze for really long periods of time, I am talking minutes here (5min!) while the Treo finally decides to come back to life. And no, I have no 3rd party apps that hang me that bad.

I never had that issue with my 600, when in a poor reception area the Treo would be as snappy as when in a good coverage area.

Anyhow, one can just hope that the much-desired ROM update makes it here befor end of the year... that would be quite a gift for the holidays!
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    i did if there was any confusion it was because the original post was poorly written
    Lazaruz,
    Thanks for sharing your opinion on your grasping the "FYI" post.
    If you look, it seems others understood exactly what I meant.

Basically, were all here trying to help each other. If you hang out here to be a critic, I think there are other places you can do that.

Thanks for your useful input.