Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo 680 review

Unlocked 680 on Cingular network.

PUSH EMAIL:
    OK...Blackberry connect doesn’t work on the 680 yet. Yes, I called Palm. I bought the newest Cingular BBC software…but nope. Loads great, but can’t find the device. Nice news is that the new version of Versamail has Microsoft Activsync support. I love it. Sure, it isn’t real push (every five minutes it syncs in the background), but it is fine for even me…a hardcore biz user. And it syncs contacts, too. Miss remote lookup for email addresses, but I will get over my pain.

WEB / DATA:
    WOW. Did I mention, “WOW”? Amazing. I figure I am getting 2x faster speeds. I don’t know what Palm did, but thank you. I never used the phone for web, but now I do! And Avantgo is finally able to sync wirelessly! That never happened on my 680 where it would always time-out.

3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS:
    Problems in paradise. Palm seems to have done a poor job with its partners here. Iambic’s Agendus doesn’t work yet because the key mapping is different. Same seems to be true for Takephone. I think there was a problem with accessing the address-book from both those application, too. Iambic’s excellent tech support got back to me and said that they are fast at work on fixes. Too bad they weren’t given the opportunity to have a sufficient jump start. Unsolicited plug: I love Agendus. I have used it in its various incarnations from the time I had one of the first 10K Newton Messagepad MP0s. Agendus is the reason I refused to use Goodlink. And why I haven’t considered a Blackberry.

MUSIC:
    I love my music and the new pTunes is amazing. Get the upgrade! I haven’t proved it yet, but I am certain that the music quality from pTunes is superior to that from my 650. Finally, my Shure headsets are happy. Unsolicited plug: get the i4c headset…it really is AMAZING. And, if you just want music quality, get the E500EPTs. Nothing short of AMAZING.

BATTERY:
    No need to beat a dead horse, here. But I get less than ½ day out of my 680’s battery. So, I carry my 650’s seidio high capacity battery, leave the back cover off and put it in a soft-case. Inelegant, but solves the problem. Can someone come out with a bulged battery case cover to address this? Please let us use our extended life batteries! By the way, if you are making such a battery cover, I need the “red” version!

SD CARDS:
    I have not been able to get my Dana-Elec 4GB card to work. I bought it at a Palm store…it is initially recognized, then if I try to access it, nothing. I see others have gotten various 4gb cards to work, but I think the Treo community will be better off when we have a broader body of knowledge on this issue. Having 4gb (or…I am drooling here) 8gb on the 680 would (will?) be a wonderful improvement. All tunes at 256 or higher!

HOTSYNC:
    I found that my old 650 hotsync software seemed to work fine, but tried uninstalling it and loading the new 680 version that comes with the phone. Highly recommended.

Well…I gotta run. But I love the new 680! Can’t wait for us (treo users…and those wonderful members who support us) to address the minor stuff…but I give it two thumbs up.

Best regards,

Alex
    That SUCKS about Agendus.

Which version of Agendus do you currently use? I have 11.05.

Did your contacts retain their "categories" when transferring from your old device?

This battery thing has got me vexed sideways.
    Last edited by Pighood; 12/03/2006 at 10:48 PM.
    i have a feeling someone will be releasing a revised battery cover w/ a hump to accommodate the thicker battery
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    ....we're going to need a custom fitted case to accomodate the hump. DAMMIT.
    I had problems with AS and my Exchange Server. The device duplicated everything. It took me a while to clean it up. How did you set up yours?
    David
  6.    #6  
    same duplicate problem with activesync. bought a 10 buck program and it solved the problem...for the most part. I had a few things I had to clean up manually.

but once past first sync, it works like a dream.
  7.    #7  
    agendus...latest pro version. 11 something I think. I have faith. iambic is great. but the wait is a bummer.
    so you guys w/ the duplicate contact syncs did you do what the other poster mentioned that they sync OTA first before doing a hot sync w/ their desktop?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsiegel View Post
    agendus...latest pro version. 11 something I think. I have faith. iambic is great. but the wait is a bummer.
    Does the Pro version work as opposed to the standard version?
  10.    #10  
    battery example. left ohare with 75 percent. landed in philly with 25 percent.
    Indeed - TAKEphONE 6.50 does not work correctly on the Treo 680.

Get TAKEphONE 7.00 at www.shsh.com/beta

Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Jesus Christ.
    WHAT???
    ANd this was with your 'phone' off?
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    You left your radio on looking for a signal during that time? Worst case scenario for mobile radio is constantly searching for signal when there isn't hope of any. Or are you suggesting it burned that much battery with the radio turned off? Any other applications running?
    PUSH EMAIL
    ChatterEmail EX does full push (of email) with Exchange. A PIM solution based on similar implementation is in progress.

HOTSYNC:
    I found that my old 650 hotsync software seemed to work fine, but tried uninstalling it and loading the new 680 version that comes with the phone. Highly recommended.
    Instructions in the quick start and manual suggest that the old release needn't be uninstalled first. They might suggest this to avoid the old backup profile from being deleted? Not sure. But they do mention this in the upgrade process.... hotsync (old device), install new version over old, sync to new device.

Can't wait 'til I get mine.... *sigh*
    Treo 680 review
    BATTERY:
    .......So, I carry my 650’s seidio high capacity battery, leave the back cover off and put it in a soft-case. Inelegant, but solves the problem....
    Best regards,
    Alex
    simply ingenious! simply ingenious

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
  17.    #17  
    battery example clarification

turned phone off as gate was closed...like a good boy. heck, i even have beam off and bluetooth disabled.

listened to music. read from my avantgo. replied to a few emails. nothing crazy. phone was not set to brightest...maybe 1/3rd brightness.

landed with 25%. was in the red-zone when i finally hit the hotel at 3:00am.
    agendus with good support?? something must of changed over there.

I dont think I have 11, which mean they wont fix earlier version so I guess I will have to upgrade if I want to use Agendus on the 680.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    *Agendus 11.05 works perfectly for me - when you install it, choose NOT to assign buttons to it and then go into settings and assign from within Agendus.

*Hot sync works fine for me coming from 700p

*My Transcend 4gb card works great

*Buy the cradle/extra battery bundle (palm) - I change to a fresh battery once at end of working day

Cheers
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    turned phone off as gate was closed... listened to music. ... landed with 25%. was in the red-zone when i finally hit the hotel at 3:00am.
    More or less the whole time? I seem to remember reading a few disclaimers like "using multimedia features uses more power". Music seems simple enough, but MPEG decoding requires a small amount of CPU grunt.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast