Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    It would be interesting to see if the 680 battery works in a 650 (we know the 650 battery works in a 680). If so perhaps someone could run a series of tests: both batteries run to depletion in a 650 and then the same test with both batteries run to depletion in a 680. Would the phones use batteries the same...would the resulting ratios be the same for each battery as the rated mAh for each battery...1200/1800 = 66%.
    Or...would the 680 burn up both batteries faster because of a software/hardware flaw.
    Nelson1, I thought of doing what you have suggested, but it's quite a time sacrifice to charge/drain (rinse, lather, repeat, etc.) numerous times when all I want to do is play with my new toy

However, given that the 680 battery apparently doesn't like the 650 (or the 650 doesn't like the 680 battery), I may just go ahead and see how well the 680 handles the 650 battery. I already have a good idea how long the 650 takes to burn through it's battery (at least on MY 650), so I'm planning now to put my fully-charged 650 battery into my 680 and run Battery Time (again) and see if I get the same performance as if it were in my 650. This should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    ... Also, maybe Seido or some other 3rd party will develop and sell a same-form-factor battery for the 680 that provides more time (another 20-30% would be fine with me). Having to add a different battery that changes the size of my 680 is simply unacceptable. ...
    It's the first thing I buy, as well, assuming they decide to sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    It's the first thing I buy, as well, assuming they decide to sell it.

Put me down for 2 as soon as they are available and I will be good to go, and have a near-perfect device!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Nelson1, I thought of doing what you have suggested, but it's quite a time sacrifice to charge/drain (rinse, lather, repeat, etc.) numerous times when all I want to do is play with my new toy

However, given that the 680 battery apparently doesn't like the 650 (or the 650 doesn't like the 680 battery), I may just go ahead and see how well the 680 handles the 650 battery. I already have a good idea how long the 650 takes to burn through it's battery (at least on MY 650), so I'm planning now to put my fully-charged 650 battery into my 680 and run Battery Time (again) and see if I get the same performance as if it were in my 650. This should be interesting.
    Bri Guy it was partially your tests titled "Used Battery Time 650 vs. 680" that inspired my post. I hope that you and others continue testing and through that testing continue to eliminate variables. Now if we could just reduce all of the battery discussions to one thread. Perhaps I should start a thread to request that (grin).
    --Nelson
    Well, I've noticed a significant change in my battery burn today. Overnight, I changed my Power settings to turn off the display after 30 seconds (instead of three minutes, which I'd used on my 650 for a long time). My phone dim was already 30 second, beam receive was off, and brightness is between 40 and 50%. I've kept the treo off battery since around 10am and it is still at 70% some 6.5 hours later. Usage has just been email, IM, and some web. No voice. (which is my typical)

I'm wondering if the speculation about backlight being a huge issue is still true. I should also point out that I do have bluetooth turned on -- always do, since I sync to PC with it, and wander between different BT headsets through the day (like the car). I will sometimes disable it per-call, but it's always there listening. Too bad we can't disable it and tap it from within Phone application to wake it up during a call.

Anyway, having noticed a major change in burn rate I thought I'd share this.

Another point I keep hearing come up are things like "I never had to charge my 650 every day". Well, I'm one of those people who did. But I could usually make it from 9am to 8pm and still have around 15-20% battery left. So I'd usually pop it onto a charger near the sofa or at the nightstand at that point. I also tend to charge during longer drives. That said, I did find in my first week (tomorrow will be on my one-week "anniversary" with my 680) that I had to charge from under 20% every few hours. Today is the first day where I'm tempted to let it go all day and see what happens... but I'm not holding my breath.

My last measurable data point was on Sunday afternoon/eve. I took Treo off the car charger at approx 4:30pm. By 9pm, with nothing really going on except background applications running (email, IM, etc), battery was under 10%. Yeah, it's anecdotal, but I offer this mostly to compare with today's numbers... which seem awfully different.

I wish there was a way to correllate OS function calls, signal level, and charge level over time -- perhaps total duration of voice calls too. I think someone mentioned (in this or another of the rapidly multiplying 680 battery threads) an application that measures charge level over time but I don't think it includes anything else. Apart from a delta mesaurement over time, it's a hard thing to correllate charge over time across users.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i have but i'm not sure why you need to know.
    Yes you are confused. It was a rhetorical question.
    the only thing that i am confused with is you. why i'm responding to you is even more confounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    Bri Guy it was partially your tests titled "Used Battery Time 650 vs. 680" that inspired my post. I hope that you and others continue testing and through that testing continue to eliminate variables. Now if we could just reduce all of the battery discussions to one thread. Perhaps I should start a thread to request that (grin).
    Nelson1, I'm glad to know I could be an inspiration to someone ... that might be a first for me

It's great that there is a community like this where we can all contribute and learn. After all, 2 heads (or even 1,735) are better than one, right??

I've decided to top off the battery in my 650 and use Battery Time to discharge it in my 680. Given that I have a benchmark for discharge time for my 650 battery, the discharge time in the 680 should tell me if it's a battery issue or a device/software issue. I'll check back here and post my results (probably later tonight)!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatan View Post
    The only difference is the SIMS. My phone is the one that drains quickly. I swapped SIMs between the phones. The one with my SIM in it drains more quickly regardless of which phone it's in. We both use TMobile. I'm going tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement SIM and see it that makes any difference. I have no clue why the SIM would make a difference, but it seems to on our phones.
    Hey jcatan, are both the SIM cards 3G cards or is one 2.5G? I have a 3G SIM card and battery drain is quite bad. Perhaps using a 3G SIM card in a non-3G phone causes the drain as the SIM is perhaps telling the phone to keep looking for a 3G network?
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    the only thing that i am confused with is you. why i'm responding to you is even more confounding.
    Okay... then I'm confused. If someone has decided to return the 680, why spend time offering a plethora of insightful and constructive commentary on a 680 board and dousing it with negative commentary when you don't have one in your hand? I don't want to pick a fight, but I agree that it is a little confusing...
    Last edited by ChrisInDiego; 12/12/2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: to be more sensitive to the feeling of others
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    Okay... then I'm confused. If someone has decided to return the 680, why spend time lurking on a 680 board and dousing it with negative commentary when you don't have one in your hand? I don't want to pick a fight, but I agree that it is a little confusing...

I am not really confused. For whatever reason, Oalvarez likes to troll threads. It appears that he especially likes to troll positive threads making negative comments. His other specialty seems to be challenging anyone who is getting good results out of their Treo, seeming to take particular pleasure out of making personal attacks, and challenging their voracity. This is typical Troll behavior, and I thought that it was frowned upon by the mods here, especially since the majority of his comments are not relevant to the topic. I know I am ranting, but this type of behavior is counter productive.

Now...back to our regular scheduled programming!!!

As I said earlier in this forum, I have been getting an average of 36 hours per day out of my battery. Tonight, I am going to do the battery reset, and see if I get get even better performance!!!
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I am not really confused. For whatever reason, Oalvarez likes to troll threads. It appears that he especially likes to troll positive threads making negative comments. His other specialty seems to be challenging anyone who is getting good results out of their Treo, seeming to take particular pleasure out of making personal attacks, and challenging their voracity. This is typical Troll behavior, and I thought that it was frowned upon by the mods here, especially since the majority of his comments are not relevant to the topic. I know I am ranting, but this type of behavior is counter productive.
    That helps.. now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    Now...back to our regular scheduled programming!!!

As I said earlier in this forum, I have been getting an average of 36 hours per day out of my battery. Tonight, I am going to do the battery reset, and see if I get get even better performance!!!

On your battery life... I am impressed that you can get 36 hours per day out of your 680... I guess I didn't get the time travel bundle shipped with my Treo! LOL. I did the hard reset after a night of charging and it basically tripled my standby time. That said, it still drains pretty quickly with active use, but the standby time is vastly improved. Let us know how it goes...
    That helps.. now I get it.

On your battery life... I am impressed that you can get 36 hours per day out of your 680... I guess I didn't get the time travel bundle shipped with my Treo! LOL. I did the hard reset after a night of charging and it basically tripled my standby time. That said, it still drains pretty quickly with active use, but the standby time is vastly improved. Let us know how it goes...

Ok now!!! I mean I am getting 36 hours PER CHARGE!!! (I am tired...but some days feel 36 hours long!!!) After 17 days of conditioning, mind you!!! I will update on the reset after tomorrows useage!!
    Rewards Network

yikes. I'd be scared to mess with success.
    Today us my Treos 1 week anniversary. I am holdin out for good battery life this week. Since it seems like it gets better the more it is used.

Does anyone have any Siedio Battery predictions? Like if we will see a 1500mah that will fit in our OEM covers and then maybe a 2200mah with a hump back?

I am hoping for a 1500mah myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Does anyone have any Siedio Battery predictions? Like if we will see a 1500mah that will fit in our OEM covers and then maybe a 2200mah with a hump back?

I am hoping for a 1500mah myself.
    That seems to be what everybody wants, even though Seidio seems intent on producing the humpback instead, in order to market one pre-existing battery (the 650 2400 mah) instead of developing a really neat extended one that would fit in the existing case. I hope they get the message and give us what we want. Or maybe somebody else will do it.
    If Seido can get it to work in the same form factor they will. There are two models that will use it now. Who knows what Palm will do with future models. If they can't get the increase to be enought in the smaller form factor they will go with the battery door hump solution. I expect they will come out with that solution regardless, for those who don't care and just want more life. But they realize that one of the selling points of the 680 is its sleekness. I would guess we will see the battery door with the 650 extended battery soon. The other I think they are going to test a bit to MAKE SURE it will work. We know they read the forums here and they can see the can of worms. If/when the 'hump' solution comes out I don't think it will neccesarily mean the slim version is not going to happen.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    If Seido can get it to work in the same form factor they will.
    I'm not so optimistic. I've never seen the inside of the 650, but my friend has a 700W and there is a bit of extra space in there. Yet with the 680, the battery is so cramed in there that it will not even stay in place without the battery cover in place to hold it in there. There's no extra space at all.
    I am not saying I think they can do it, rather if it can be done they will produce the batteries. I don't beleive they will only take the "easy out" and sell the 2400 with extended door. They would want to give people both options.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    had my treo for 2 weeks - battery life not dreadful but not great either - been through 3 complete draining / charging cycles plus lots of top ups via usb and car.

Last night went to bed at 1.45am up at 8am and the battery had dropped from 74% to 72% phone off bt off beam off - don't need them on when I'm asleep....

Hopefully this thing is now "conditioned" - I only need 36/48 hours to be happy.....
    Last edited by PFman; 12/12/2006 at 03:40 AM.
    Okay... then I'm confused. If someone has decided to return the 680, why spend time lurking on a 680 board and dousing it with negative commentary when you don't have one in your hand? I don't want to pick a fight, but I agree that it is a little confusing...
    there are many who participate on this board without being a present owner of a Treo but who have owned most all of them (incl 680) and others. the commentary does not always have to be positive as is exemplified by the hundreds and thousands of "don't like this, don't like that" posts that are found throughout this wonderful website.

i've been participating on this board for quite some time now so i take some offense to your use of the word "lurking."

best success and happiness with your device.
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast