Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Wait the battery drain off completely, then full charge it.
    The battery will improved significantly!!!!!

I'm now have around 36 hours with normal use. I have only less than 10 before.
    I used Battery Time and pitted the 650 vs. 680. I expected the 650 to perform better, of course. The results are interesting and a little bit alarming.

After fully charging both phones, radio off, beam receive off, backlight to full power, here are the (unscientific) results:

Elapsed Time 680
    ----------- ---
    1 hr 76%
    2 51%
    3 26%
    3:35 9% - Battery Time stopped.

---
    1 hr 87%
    2 74%
    3 61%
    4 48%
    6:42 6% - Battery Time stopped.

Basically, with all of the same conditions, the 650 gave me almost twice the battery time. I performed the battery/charger reset that was previously recommended, charged overnight, and my 680 showed 97% charged when I first turned it on. I'm going to top it off and perform Battery Time test again, same conditions as before, to see if the battery/charger reset does anything to help. Then, I plan to perform yet another Battery Time test with the 680 using the battery from the 650. I'll report my findings for anyone interested.
    Anyone have ANY idea why the battery shows < 100% after an all night charge and first turning the phone on?

I consistently get 95 - 98% displayed IMMEDIATELY after taking it off the charger (???). Shouldn't this read 100%?
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    why many are (including mine) are making their way back to Louisville, KY
    That's what you said over a week ago. Have you not sent it back yet?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Anyone have ANY idea why the battery shows < 100% after an all night charge and first turning the phone on?

I consistently get 95 - 98% displayed IMMEDIATELY after taking it off the charger (???). Shouldn't this read 100%?
    Hmmm, that's interesting. So far (knock on wood) I get 100% every time I top mine off.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarr3 View Post
    Hmmm, that's interesting. So far (knock on wood) I get 100% every time I top mine off.
    So how's your overall battery life (with a battery that apparently at least fully charges?)
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    So how's your overall battery life (with a battery that apparently at least fully charges?)
    My battery life is decent. On my first charge which was last week, I made it through and entire day with about 12% battery usage left for the day (ending at around 9 p.m.). That was with a decent amount of work put on the device too. I made it through the entire weekend (on moderate use) on one charge, and only topped off last night just to make sure I had a full charge (top off once at about 56%) for a full days of work for today (right I'm at 84% for today). My usage has varied since I had the 680, from light to heavy usage. I guess I need to put this thing through the wringer for a few days straight in order to get a really more accurate depiction or my battery. But as of today I would say I am "satisfied" with my battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by volkslove View Post
    Someone in the other threads described a battery reset which could be carried out in the 650 and suggested to try it on the 680 to see if the fast drain on the battery indicator could be resolved. I tried it and it has "fixed" the problem. The procedure is as follows:

1 Connect the 680 to the charger with power on
    2 Remove the battery
    3 Replace the battery after waiting a while (1 min)
    4 Charge the phone 3-4 hours to 100% capacity and disconnect

My battery indicator now gives a more accurate indication of the battery drain and has slowed considerably. My 680 can go close to 48 hours before recharge now on low usage. After the first charge I am able to leave the phone on trickle charge overnight.

Hope this helps
    what should the battery be when you plug it in and take out the battery?

does it matter?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    After executing a battery/charger reset and fully recharging my 680, I ran another Battery Time test with screen set on full brightness and everything else turned off (beam receive, etc.). The results were slightly better ---- Battery Time stopped the discharge at 4 hours, 15 minutes with 10% left on the battery (up from 3:35 and 9% last time).

Maybe the battery is actually conditioning? I'm not sure, but I'm going to use my 680 for my daily tasks for a while and see if I can live with the current battery. I'm keeping my 650 around just in case I decide to send the 680 back and possibly wait for Palm to make the next move. Also, maybe Seido or some other 3rd party will develop and sell a same-form-factor battery for the 680 that provides more time (another 20-30% would be fine with me). Having to add a different battery that changes the size of my 680 is simply unacceptable.

Hope this info helps someone. I probably should have started a new thread to begin with.
    Sorry If this has already been addressed, but I didn't want to read through the 149+ posts. I was having issues with the battery also, but something happened this past Saturday that changed everything.

I went Christmas shopping with a friend, so I didn't have my car charger. Then I went to visit my sister, still without a charger. The battery drained down to nothing, but stayed there for a long time. I really thought the phone would die, but it never did. I finally got home at about midnight with 0% showing on the phone. I charged it overnight, and started seeing a huge difference in hold time. So I went through all day yesterday without charging the phone and it lasted until about 1am. I was on a call with the Treo warning me for about 50 minutes that I needed to charge the phone before it died. I charged it overnight, and this morning I took it off the charger and now at 1pm, it still shows 98%! I have the bluetooth on, I have it checking 6 email account ranging from every 5 minutes to 1 hour.

So to summarize, try letting the phone drain and fully charge it overnight. You may see a huge difference like I did. I have two batteries, so I am not sure if the one in the phone right now is the one that came with the phone or not. Typically within an hour after taking it off the charger, it would fall to about 80%. I'm pretty excited, but I'm sure someone already brought this up.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    After executing a battery/charger reset and fully recharging my 680, I ran another Battery Time test with screen set on full brightness and everything else turned off (beam receive, etc.). The results were slightly better ---- Battery Time stopped the discharge at 4 hours, 15 minutes with 10% left on the battery (up from 3:35 and 9% last time).

Maybe the battery is actually conditioning? I'm not sure, but I'm going to use my 680 for my daily tasks for a while and see if I can live with the current battery. I'm keeping my 650 around just in case I decide to send the 680 back and possibly wait for Palm to make the next move. Also, maybe Seido or some other 3rd party will develop and sell a same-form-factor battery for the 680 that provides more time (another 20-30% would be fine with me). Having to add a different battery that changes the size of my 680 is simply unacceptable.

Hope this info helps someone. I probably should have started a new thread to begin with.
    3h/3m -> 4h/15m is a 19% increase. Not too shabby. Drain, Charge, and run it again!

(Rinse, Lather, Repeat)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    That's what you said over a week ago. Have you not sent it back yet?
    i have but i'm not sure why you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i have but i'm not sure why you need to know.
    hehe... obviously you are both gadget junkies
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    So if you won't have a Treo anymore, does that mean you will go back to the blackberry forums and bother them instead of us? Please? PLEASE?
    i still own a treo700w (in drawer). i was a long time user of the 600, 650, and 700w (wx didn't work because sprint coverage doesn't work well in my area). i just purchased and returned the 680 as it simply didn't meet my needs (i'd rather wait for the 750 as i prefer the wm5 op system).

thanks
    I think what is obvious at this point is that this is not a battery problem but a problem with the Treo's software. It vastly underestimates how much power the battery has left.
    WOW, it has been 40 min. since my last post, and I am still at 98%. I'm starting to think something is wrong with the battery gauge. I've received 3 emails and two text messages in the last 40 min., and not drain yet?
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Desperate times require desperate measures... The Hamster Hack is on its way... Afterall... Treos are mobile, and so are hamsters.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/25/t...phone-charger/
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I think what is obvious at this point is that this is not a battery problem but a problem with the Treo's software. It vastly underestimates how much power the battery has left.
    It would be interesting to see if the 680 battery works in a 650 (we know the 650 battery works in a 680). If so perhaps someone could run a series of tests: both batteries run to depletion in a 650 and then the same test with both batteries run to depletion in a 680. Would the phones use batteries the same...would the resulting ratios be the same for each battery as the rated mAh for each battery...1200/1800 = 66%.
    Or...would the 680 burn up both batteries faster because of a software/hardware flaw.
    --Nelson
    650 will boot up but you are instantly shown the shutdown in 30 seconds dialog.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I bought one for me and one for my wife. I set up one with a clean install, did a backup and used that backup to load everything to the other phone. The software on the two is identical. The phone firmware and software are identical.

One phone drains the battery about 30% faster. I had chatter turned off on both of them for two days while I checked this.

I have swapped batteries between the phones but the quick draining phone remains the quick draining phone regardless of which battery is in it.

The only difference is the SIMS. My phone is the one that drains quickly. I swapped SIMs between the phones. The one with my SIM in it drains more quickly regardless of which phone it's in. We both use TMobile. I'm going tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement SIM and see it that makes any difference. I have no clue why the SIM would make a difference, but it seems to on our phones.
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast