Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    We should never be "grateful" to people who profit from us. That is the most perverse approach to the market I have ever heard. I suppose it's the airlines have adopted as their philosophy, but it is surely unacceptable. Any smart business should be grateful to its customers. The market does, indeed, impose obligations on firms if they want to profit and the first obligation is to give consumers what they want, at high quality and low cost. When they fail to do so, somebody else will step in and show them how its done. This is not a charity, and we could and should give not a rat's *** about their welfare. They might be the best company in the world, and so might Palm, but if they don't do what we want, they can take a hike. Businesses are always tempted to cut corners and see how much they can get away with when it comes to customers. My point was that Seidio is cutting corners trying to deliver a one-size-fits-all battery, because that requires us to compromise excessively, and they should know that we users have no loyalty to a company but only to our own interests. And that's what makes markets work.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I am getting very irked by the way many folks are talking about Seidio. It's like they have some sort of obligation to the user community. Seidio is a commercial company that does whatever they can to increase their bottom line, as does most other for-profit corporations. That, and product warranties, I would think are their only obligations.

I think the community should be grateful that there is a Seidio around to give us hope, and we should encourage others to join in to provide healthy competition. Perjorative language like what I see here is really counterproductive.

One man's opinion.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Well this is unusable for me also ... like so many others I am trying to hang in there since I really do love this phone (I stepped up from a 600 so it really makes a difference). BUT I cannot get through a day with one battery .. and last night I did a test where I charged the phone then simply unplugged it and left it on my desk ie i did NOTHING with it .. that was 11pm last night and now at 5PM the next day it is dead ... That is only 13 hours of battery with me not using the phone. I have also switched off IR & Bluetooth and had email polling switched off (I use snapper and check manually).

I have been using this phone now since last Wed and it is NOT getting better. I also tried the hard reset on a full charge - no diff!? HELP.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Well this is unusable for me also ... like so many others I am trying to hang in there since I really do love this phone (I stepped up from a 600 so it really makes a difference). BUT I cannot get through a day with one battery ...

I have been using this phone now since last Wed and it is NOT getting better. I also tried the hard reset on a full charge - no diff!? HELP.
    I agree completely. The phone is useless as a business tool, it can't make it through a full day. I wonder who this phone was being marketed too then? Students? No - they have no access to chargers all day. Housewifes who leave the phone in their purse or the car? No the phone would be dead everytime they went to use it. Lemmings who were dieing for a new GSM Palm OS Treo? Yeah, I guess that's exactly who!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Well this is unusable for me also ... like so many others I am trying to hang in there since I really do love this phone (I stepped up from a 600 so it really makes a difference). BUT I cannot get through a day with one battery .. and last night I did a test where I charged the phone then simply unplugged it and left it on my desk ie i did NOTHING with it .. that was 11pm last night and now at 5PM the next day it is dead ... That is only 13 hours of battery with me not using the phone. I have also switched off IR & Bluetooth and had email polling switched off (I use snapper and check manually).

Was your phone (radio) on? How is your GSM signal? If you are in an area with a weak signal, your battery will get chewed up a lot faster than if it is strong.

11pm-5pm (18 hours) of doing nothing stinks - before you give up, try returning it and get another battery (maybe a defective unit?).

Looks like a lot of extended batteries will get sold when they come out.
    why many are (including mine) are making their way back to Louisville, KY
    Someone in the other threads described a battery reset which could be carried out in the 650 and suggested to try it on the 680 to see if the fast drain on the battery indicator could be resolved. I tried it and it has "fixed" the problem. The procedure is as follows:

1 Connect the 680 to the charger with power on
    2 Remove the battery
    3 Replace the battery after waiting a while (1 min)
    4 Charge the phone 3-4 hours to 100% capacity and disconnect

My battery indicator now gives a more accurate indication of the battery drain and has slowed considerably. My 680 can go close to 48 hours before recharge now on low usage. After the first charge I am able to leave the phone on trickle charge overnight.

Hope this helps
    For those that are mad about the battery life. Is it that Palm used a battery 2/3 the size or that the smaller battery is not living up to where it should be even taking that into account. My first few cycles on the battery were a little upsetting but they did balance out. With my 650 I would get 12-15 hours without touching a charger. I am getting 8-10 now out of my 680 batteries. That seems in line with where I would expect to see it being that they are smaller batteries.

No Treo I have ever had was great with batteries. I am already used to the idea of having two batteries to keep me going as this is my main business tool. If Seido can get a larger battery in the same size I will buy one just to make it easier.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by volkslove View Post
    Someone in the other threads described a battery reset which could be carried out in the 650 and suggested to try it on the 680 to see if the fast drain on the battery indicator could be resolved. I tried it and it has "fixed" the problem. The procedure is as follows:

1 Connect the 680 to the charger with power on
    2 Remove the battery
    3 Replace the battery after waiting a while (1 min)
    4 Charge the phone 3-4 hours to 100% capacity and disconnect

My battery indicator now gives a more accurate indication of the battery drain and has slowed considerably. My 680 can go close to 48 hours before recharge now on low usage. After the first charge I am able to leave the phone on trickle charge overnight.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the post, Volkslove. I'm going to try what you suggest.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has done this yet, but I'm currently topping off both my new 680 (I've had almost a week now) and my 650 (a year old). My plan is to take both phones, side by side, same settings, phone radio off, and use Battery Time to fully discharge both. I hope to learn: 1) how much more time I get from the 650 vs. 680, and 2) If there is any improvement in the 680's battery performance from when I first opened the box. I believe my 680 is performing better since I first used it last Tuesday, but we'll soon see --- and I'll post my results for anyone interested.
    I'm just saying that I too am upset. I hope:
    1. Siedio releases a 1500mah battery or something that would fit under the current battery cover. A hump pack is not a option.

2. Palm lied on 2 accounts:
    a. They said they wouldn't jepordize battery life for a "cool" looking device, or something similar to that effect.
    b. Palm mislead us into thinking that the 680 has similar battery life to the 650. Also not true.

I use ptunes and my chatteremail.com account everyday. My 650 starting at 8am gets me to the end of the day at 4pm with 60% of my battery left.
    My 680 at 4pm is at 12%. How is this even close................
    Not even Close PALM. Not cool.
    Ok, I must insist that there really is hope for you all if you have patience!!

I am on day 15 with this battery (My 2nd Treo 680), and I am a power user. I am not getting the same life as my 650, but I AM now getting a full 36 Hours out of each charge, and it took me 2 week to get the battery conditioned to this point. I did not expect to get the same results as my 650, or even close, with the smaller battery and form factor, but at least a day and a half is reasonable. I am not saying that I think that it should have taken this long, I am only saying that if you take the adivice of the people that have been around the TC forums for years, and seen this kind of thing with previous devices (hint: they are talking about us elsewhere in these forums), and they are saying that it is WAY premature to panic, or for God's sake, talk about things like class action suits after a week or 2 with your Treo. Give it time, Please!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    why many are (including mine) are making their way back to Louisville, KY
    So if you won't have a Treo anymore, does that mean you will go back to the blackberry forums and bother them instead of us? Please? PLEASE?
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    smileyboy, can you give us some specific citations where Palm had said this?
    From Palm's Web site:

Treo 650
    Removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Talk time: up to 6 hrs on GSM/GPRS model

Treo 680
    Removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Talk time: up to 4 hours

That appears to me to 2/3 the talk time.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    ... If Seido can get a larger battery in the same size I will buy one just to make it easier.
    Exactly! My hopes, too. I, incidentally, am not unwilling to go the humpback route if absolutely necessary, but I am unwilling to do that before trying something larger but which fits. I hope Seidio gets the message. Give us more power in the same size battery.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    so jamesgangut are you saying you can't find any documentation that supports what smileyboy's stating?
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    so jamesgangut are you saying you can't find any documentation that supports what smileyboy's stating?
    No I guess not. Here is where I got my info:
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...650/specs.html
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...680/specs.html

From those links it says 4 hours talk time and 300 standby. Who is getting either at this point?
    There is no way that the 680 battery gets the same amount of standby time as the 650s 1800mah battery.
    Oh and when Palm was questioned if they were coming out with a Q like device they said. We will never release a device that compromises battey life.......

I am going to shutup now and do some battery conditioning before I reply to anyrhing else in this thread....... Getting a little frustrated.
    to carry an additional battery for the purposes of justifying its usability is plain preposterous.

palm is dumb
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast