Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    But no mail app that's constantly working like Chatter, is that right?
    Chattermail is running IMAP push from 0500 to 2200 every day.

/ancker
    well thought out and tested devices don't come to market this way. it is laughable at best. the consumer shouldn't have to do "this or that" to get it right. it's supposed to work out of the box and without divine intervention.

stupid palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post

14 hours, 44% drain. Yes, not what they claim, but better than what most seem to be experiencing.

/ancker
    That seems better than what they claim. They don't make claims about the machine working constantly with push IMAP. Chatter always is murder on batteries, though with the new performance features it is far less than it used to be. I never got 14 hours on my Treo 650 until I got the extended battery, and even then I would have been at about 25% AT 14 hours. That sounds encouraging.
    I've had my 680 for 16 days after stepping up from the 650 and I continue to struggle with the battery! I love the phone....but I am pissed at the battery life.

I am a moderate to advanced user, but would be about to go every other day with my 650 before charging. And I got my 650 in the first batch of unlocked phones from Palm over a year ago!

I doesn't make sense why the charge is so different??

I am noticing on problem with my Bluetooth. I have a handsfree kit in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a Motorola headset. I leave the BT radio on all the time. But with my 680, I have noticed that it will stay connected to my Jeep BT. Even when I leave my car, I have noticed that I will have to cancel the Handsfree symbol on the call screen to answer the phone. I will also try to attach to my headset and get a "you cannot connect to the Motorola because you are still connected to UConnect" message.

It makes me wonder if there is not a fault in the new BT stack
    Thoughts??
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    2nd day of device. Killed battery last night and recharged overnight. Off charger at 0400 with 99%. One hour later, still at 99% with 8 texts and Network time on. Unlocked BTW.

I am still going to cycle the battery twice to be sure. Looks like the battery circuitry and Treo need to be trained to get along with each other.

Luck.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Update on this thread.

I ended up going 36 hours without charging. And even then the battery meter said 12%. I probably could have lasted to 48 hours but didn't want to risk it dying overnight.
    I would consider my usage during this time to be medium. The network was connected for a total of 25 hours. (Chattermail imap/push email)

I hope this gives a few of you hope. Maybe it takes a while for the meter to calibrate, maybe it takes a bit for the battery to condition. I have no clue.

Just don't throw this thing away yet

/ancker
    I emailed Palm support to see if they had any plans on addressing the battery issue.

I got a lengthy response detailing how to make the most out of your power source (dimming screen, turning off BT, etc.) and tips on how to keep your battery charged (have a car charger, etc.).

I guess Palm misread my support request, asking if Palm was working to address the poor battery performance in the 680. Either that or they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I emailed Palm support to see if they had any plans on addressing the battery issue.

I got a lengthy response detailing how to make the most out of your power source (dimming screen, turning off BT, etc.) and tips on how to keep your battery charged (have a car charger, etc.).

I guess Palm misread my support request, asking if Palm was working to address the poor battery performance in the 680. Either that or they did.
    There's another, handy dandy "suggestion for improving 680 battery life" in the Docs:

"WHEN NOT EXPECTING CALLS, TURN YOUR PHONE OFF" (!!)

What a joke. My i500 went DAYS with running PalmOS and LOTS of talk time.

The 680 seems to want to be treated "gently" to survive the day.

And yet, Palm refuses to acknowledge a problem in design or materials..kind of like the 700P.

And they WONDER WHY they are not killing MS? Total disdain for their customers, bordering on outright arrogance and a refusal to recognize where they have problems.

Palm could DOMINATE the "converged device" market **IF** they could just lose the attitude and start taking care of the customer. But, they come across as thinking they have some "hot" product that ONLY they have.

Hate to break it to them, but they will cease to exist in 2-4 years if they maintain current course and speed. MS will simply kill them off, slowly, just like Netscape and all the other hundresd of companies that MS has killed off over the last decade.

Oh, what COULD be if only Palm could get their act together and start taking care of their customers.
    So, I buckled and bought a cradle charger and new battery from Palm. Let's see if the new one "behaves" any better than the one I got with the 680.

What's the "right" way to condition the new battery? (I obviously plan to charge it IN the charger, not the phone).

Should I just charge until it's done, or do an overnight? And what should I do then - use it in the phone, or recharge it once it loses some juice..etc..?

Thanks..
    Ok....
    I replied to Palm's Support response by advising them they were missing the point. That I didn't need tips on how to conserve power but rather the battery performance is extremely poor on the 680. That the "power saving" tips they advised were already in place and the battery performance was extremely weak.

They replied stating that they understood my concerns and would forward my problem to thier "Technical and Research" team for immediate attention. If it was anyone else, I might be hopeful that something would be done.

My guess is that the "Technical and Research" team is still trying to figure out why the volume is so low on the 650.
    I'm thinking that perhaps some people really do have a defective battery. After reading all these battery threads, I expected to have bad battery life for the first few days, and then I figured it would start to get better.

Well, last night I charged up my phone for the first time, and it has been turned on for about 18 hours now. I haven't set it up to poll my email yet. But last night I played around with it for about 2 hours including some web browsing, audio streaming, and playing with the settings, and today I had 2 phone calls totalling about a half hour and sent and recieved about 10 text messages. And according to the battery meter, I still have about 85% charge.

Given I haven't exactly used it a ton yet, but I can't imagine not getting at least 2 days out of it with my normal use. And I'm sure that will even get better over time.
    I'll tell you what, there should be a class action suit! The Palm, published, specs on this thing are 4 hours of Talk Time and 300 hours of Standby Time. I can't get hours of standby on this thing. As a business tool, it is pretty, but useless.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    I'll tell you what, there should be a class action suit! The Palm, published, specs on this thing are 4 hours of Talk Time and 300 hours of Standby Time. I can't get hours of standby on this thing. As a business tool, it is pretty, but useless.

Dunc
    I am not sue happy. But to make claims that a device is just as good as the 650. Is a bunch of crap and Palm knows it. I love the 680. But couldn't a 1400mah or 1500mah battery be put in it?

Other than that, there has to be something draining that battery. it just doesn't make sense.
    Actually the specs say UP TO 4 hours and UP TO 300 hours of standby. But go right ahead and start looking for a lawyer if you want.

My battery is working pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Actually the specs say UP TO 4 hours and UP TO 300 hours of standby. But go right ahead and start looking for a lawyer if you want.

My battery is working pretty well.
    That's a ridiculous "out" (playing on the words "up to"), and most logical, reasonable people know it. They could say the device gets "up to" 10,000 hours standby also.

Fact is, Palm has lied here, and any decent judge would whack them good for false advertising.

This device gets NOWHERE near 300 hours standy, and to advertise it as such is deceptive advertising.

FIX THE PROBLEM, PALM!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I am not sue happy. But to make claims that a device is just as good as the 650. Is a bunch of crap and Palm knows it. I love the 680. But couldn't a 1400mah or 1500mah battery be put in it?

Other than that, there has to be something draining that battery. it just doesn't make sense.
    The specs for the 680 state a talk time lower than the specs for the 650. The specs claim 6 hrs for 650 and 4 hours for 680, in line with the battery capacity.

The specs do both claim 300 hours standby, but what is standby? Without a definition, Palm could easily say that meant cell phone off, screen off, network time off, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    The specs claim 6 hrs for 650 and 4 hours for 680, in line with the battery capacity.
    Despite the definition of what Standby Time is the claim of 4 hours of talk time is impossible - at least with my 680. I get at most 6 hours of standby or 1/2 hour - 1 hour of talk time. There is obviously some process in the OS that they've neglected to let go to sleep and it's eating up all the reserve power. If I was a betting man (and I am) I'd say there'll be a software upgrade rather shortly.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post

I'm not sue happy, but I did drop $350 on this device to replace my 650 that isn't available anymore. And for them to make battery claims that are truly false... More then anything it is a major pain in the **** that I can't get through a work day with my phone continually on. I suppose it's dangerous too - I drive home everynight, from work, and my phone is dead. I don't want a cash settlement, I want a software fix or a better battery - that's not too much to ask, is it?

Dunc
    What I really want is for Seidio not to take the easy way out--that is, to use the existing 650 extended battery as one for the 680 as well, adding a new extgended back (yikes!). Many of us simply won't buy that. But if they offer a similarly sized replacement for the 680 battery as beefed up as possible, I think we will all line up to buy it. It might not make us happy having to fix our 680s instead of Palm doing it, but what do you want, a gripe, or a functioning 680? I hope Seidio does the right thing here: offer what they first contemplated, an extended battery in the same form, and an extended one for those who don't mind a larger back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    What I really want is for Seidio not to take the easy way out ... I hope Seidio does the right thing here...
    I am getting very irked by the way many folks are talking about Seidio. It's like they have some sort of obligation to the user community. Seidio is a commercial company that does whatever they can to increase their bottom line, as does most other for-profit corporations. That, and product warranties, I would think are their only obligations.

I think the community should be grateful that there is a Seidio around to give us hope, and we should encourage others to join in to provide healthy competition. Perjorative language like what I see here is really counterproductive.

One man's opinion.