Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    For me at least, yes. This is very strange to be sure. I'm still testing to see what might be causing this. I've got several third party apps installed that I guess could be causing the problem. When I upgraded from the 650, I simply did a restore using a backup from BackUpMan on an SD card. I have had zero resets and everything works fine. If this keeps up though, I'm tempted to do a hard reset and start from scratch one app a time to see what happens.

TreoBud
    I don't mind the battery time, much... But, where do they get saying up to 12.5 days of standby? I think at the rate my battery drains, just sitting here, it would be a stretch to say 3 days of standby. I took the phone off the charger at 8:00 am have made a total of 2 10 minute calls, and I am down to 56% at 3:22 pm.

I know that is "Up To" 12.5 days, but I can say "Up To" 365 days of standby too. Just don't now what it would take to get 12 days of standby, or even 5.
    I bought the 680 last week from a Cingular corporate store. I am disgusted by the battery life. I have no 3rd party apps installed, I have the beam off, and BT off and I can't even make it through the day with two pulls of email using Versamail and possibly 20 minutes of phone conversation.

I got home from work yesterday around 5:00 I fully charged the battery til about 9:00. I then turned off the radio and stuck it in the drawer until this morning. The battery life had drained down to 63% and by 3:30 this afternoon was completely dead. My only useage today was 17 minutes of phone calls and one pull of email. I don't get it.

This has to be a hardware problem.

I am really surprised by everyone waiting around for the Seidio Extended Battery. I would think everyone would be hunting down Palm for a firmware upgrade or something!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong View Post
    ... I am disgusted by the battery life...I would think everyone would be hunting down Palm for a firmware upgrade or something!!!!!
    I felt the same way, when I got mine. After about a week though, my battery life improved a lot, more than double the standby time. The initial battery life gives this Treo a bad out-of-box experience (which it would seem to me is the worst thing in the world given the new demographic they are going after). But if you give the battery a chance to get up to speed, it is quite a nice phone. Great voice quality and very reliable.

That said, it does seem as if there might be some improvements that could be gained in standby time through a firmware upgrade. I think I am getting more than their rated 4 hours of talk time, but nowhere near the 300 hours of standby.

G
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    I felt the same way, when I got mine. After about a week though, my battery life improved a lot, more than double the standby time. The initial battery life gives this Treo a bad out-of-box experience (which it would seem to me is the worst thing in the world given the new demographic they are going after). But if you give the battery a chance to get up to speed, it is quite a nice phone. Great voice quality and very reliable.

That said, it does seem as if there might be some improvements that could be gained in standby time through a firmware upgrade. I think I am getting more than their rated 4 hours of talk time, but nowhere near the 300 hours of standby.

G
    Going on two weeks with my 680, and the battery has drastically improved from it's first days of use. Trust me folks, it will get better. I unplugged my device at 6:30 AM central time, and as of right now........I have 68% of my battery left. I have done plenty of browsing, texting, talking, and emailing throughout the day.
    OK..what gives here, gang?

Turned the 680 completely OFF last night and tucked it away. Battery was at 91%.

Got up this AM, and battery is at 60%..

So, the battery drops 30% with the phone completely OFF?!! What on earth is it doing? (BTW, IR is off. BT is on, but that shouldn't matter, right? I'd think the BT being on would only drain the battery when the 680 is communicating with a headset during a call, etc..or is that not the case?)

And for those who have reported that it gets better as the battery is broken in..I've had my 680 for almost 2 weeks now, so if this is "better", I'm not encouraged.

I WANT to like this phone in a big way. But the battery drain and lack of ability to actually USE the phone without carrying spare batteries (what a pain), or keeping it constantly tethered to power is a SIGNIFICANT drawback and makes the phone all but unusable for "real world" daily use in business.

NOW I know why Palm positioned this as a "consumer" phone and not a "business" phone. It's funny, cuz the first thing I thought of when I read that is that they must mean "business" users require fast data (ala 750). Now, I know what those sneaky Palm people were really saying - as a "business phone", the 680 DOES NOT CUT IT, because the consumption of the battery by the firmware/whatever is a flaming joke.

Do I just have a defective phone here? Should I swap it out? (Only have 2 weeks left on the 30 days). Or is this "normal"? (To me, a phone shouldn't drop 30% of it's power when it is OFF!!)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I wouldn't swap out the phone.. Maybe the batt. I think the BT drained your batt. You got to cut it all off at this point. What level is your brightness?

Hang on! Things will get better.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I wouldn't swap out the phone.. Maybe the batt. I think the BT drained your batt. You got to cut it all off at this point. What level is your brightness?

Hang on! Things will get better.
    Boy, I sure hope so - otherwise, as much as I'd hate to give up the 680 and go back to the Samsung I500, I might just have to unless this becomes more "real world" usable - which it is not right now.

I can try shutting off BT tonight and will see what happens. Will post new #s tomorrow AM. However, turning off BT to get viable battery life kinda defeats the purpose of the phone having this feature in the first place. I'd think that BT would only affect battery during calls using a BT headset..not just because the BT setting on the phone is set to "on" with no BT activity..

Brightness is at about a third. But, why would that matter with the phone totally off and not being used AT ALL overnight?
    BT sucks battery. It is ready to discover and connect to the headset all the time. I noticed a big difference in 650 battery life with and without BT also.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    .... I'd think that BT would only affect battery during calls using a BT headset..not just because the BT setting on the phone is set to "on" with no BT activity..
    You've got a receiver going constantly all that time, searching for signals, and a transmitter responding and polling whenever it receives a stray signal that it may interpret as another BT set. BT uses a lot of power. I don't know if it uses as much as you've reported, but it's kind of notorious for wasting battery life.

It is also possible that you have programs about which you're unaware running in the background. Unless your set is absolutely cold reset to out of the factory settings, or unless you absolutely know with expertise that the apps you have don't run at some level while the set is off, your test is not giving useful results. But first at least shut down the BT and see what happens.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Seidio just released a 3200mAh battery.
    Supposed to work with all Treos. Battery cover only available for 700 thus far.

1200mAh to 3200mAh. WOW.

/ancker
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    Seidio just released a 3200mAh battery.
    Supposed to work with all Treos. Battery cover only available for 700 thus far.

1200mAh to 3200mAh. WOW.

/ancker
    I am NOT changing the form factor of this phone!! That is why I bought it. Also what are the odds that they will have an Artic backcover.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I am NOT changing the form factor of this phone!! That is why I bought it. Also what are the odds that they will have an Artic backcover.
    Supposedly only extends the cover 3mm. For almost tripling the battery capacity, I think I can handle an extra 3mm.

As for the arctic color. Who knows.

/ancker
    They've been talking about that for 6 months. I don't see it on their site. Are you sure about this? Do you have a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    They've been talking about that for 6 months. I don't see it on their site. Are you sure about this? Do you have a link?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130637

Post #33
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=33
    Oy. Did you take a look at that thing? That's not a phone with a battery. That's a battery, a huge battery, with a phone attached. I think I'll pass on that, as will most others. Give us a reasonable increase in battery power in the form factor for which we paid our $400. That mother's huge.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I believe Seidio is working on an increase that will fit the current cover, but your buff with battery life is with Palm, not Seidio. They make aftermarket stuff. The only people you can be EXPECTED to fit the form factor, is Palm.

I, for one, am just happy that Seidio does these kinds of things. Imagine if you had to buy all of your accessories from Palm....

Keep it up Seidio. As soon as the 680 cover is available, I'm buying one.

/ancker
    No, I have no....well, whatever...with Seidio or even Palm. I don't want my cellphone with a booty. I did that once with Samsung. It was so huge, it looked like a club and crowds on the sidewalk would would make way for me when they saw me carrying (lugging) it for fear I'd strike.
    we need a fuel cell
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast