Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I guess I didn't give enough information. I am breaking in new phone, so was wondering how far down to let it run. I agree that the LiOn batteries should not be run down on a regular basis. I like the concept of thinking of it as a meter calibration as opposed to a battery one. Great one!!

Yep, I think this is a concept that has caused alot of confusion because many people have heard that repeatedly fully discharging the battery is not good for the battery, but there clear evidence that it is important to do this at least once with a new TREO, and possibly again every now and then IF the battery meter seems to become inaccurate. In answer to your question, it is necessary to let it run down completely, so you cant turn it on any more, because this is where the inaccuracy is - the meter thinks it has reached zero, when obviously it hasnt (as was the case in MClarke's post above). If you let it fully run down, then you really are as close to zero as you can get. From there, after you recharge, the meter will know the full range of the battery and will probably give the appearance that you have much better battery life. I say 'give the appearance', because in reality it probably hasnt changed, it just seems that way, it will take longer to get to 0%, and if/when it does (and you shouldnt do this repeatedly), you know it will soon quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher View Post
    So I visited my local phone/gadget store on the weekend and I was sold immediately on the form factor.

Having read these messages here in these forums, it came across as all mixed messages. Some people saying its great battery life after patch and some people saying its not so good, etc. I decided to take a gamble and bought a 680.

After almost a full week of heavy usage, here is my conclusion. From a full charge, the Treo 650 can last me 4-5 days without charging.

The Treo 680 can last me almost 2 days without charging.

If you are a Treo 650 user, you will not be happy with the 680's battery life (after the camera patch).

Like me, you may be willing to accept this inconvenience as it is a smaller sized battery (just slightly) but cutting the battery life by more than 50% of the previous model is not really satisfactory for Treo650 who are only expected each subsequent Treo model to get better.

However, as I mentioned, for me, I am willing to accept this situation (partly because I like the form factor) and will not return the 680.
    It is not only the battery being sized down (how else do you think they were able to internalize that antenna ?), there is also a lot more memory then 650 (Flash but more important DBCache RAM) which cause an additional load.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher View Post
    Having read these messages here in these forums, it came across as all mixed messages. Some people saying its great battery life after patch and some people saying its not so good, etc. I decided to take a gamble and bought a 680.

After almost a full week of heavy usage, here is my conclusion. From a full charge, the Treo 650 can last me 4-5 days without charging.

The Treo 680 can last me almost 2 days without charging.

If you are a Treo 650 user, you will not be happy with the 680's battery life (after the camera patch).

Like me, you may be willing to accept this inconvenience as it is a smaller sized battery (just slightly) but cutting the battery life by more than 50% of the previous model is not really satisfactory for Treo650 who are only expected each subsequent Treo model to get better.
    Maybe you are a heavy user, hence the two day lifespan, but there are plenty of reports where people get 3-5 days out of the 680 with moderate use. The best way to work out if your 680 is performing optimally is to check how much drain happens overnight while it is in standby (phone radio on). Ideally, you should be able to get around 0.5% per hour. If it is 1% per hour or higher (assuming there is reasonable signal strength in your area), then I think you may still have some problem that is significantly affecting your battery life.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I had been having pretty good battery life with my Unlocked Cingular 680 after installing the camera patch. I could end the day with about 40 - 50 % charge left. I make 3 - 4 calls a day, run Good Link 24 / 7 for work, do occasional web searches, send and receive 20 - 50 emails a day, play a game or two for 10 - 15 minutes out of the day while waiting for things. I don't think this is too much for a treo to handle. I used a 650 for a year and was getting about 2 days on a charge with the same usage.

Suddenly out of now where, no changes to phone or software I was losing 10 - 12 % per hour. I did a couple of soft resets but that did not help. So I thought I would do another battery meter calibration charge routine; plug treo into charger cord, shut off phone transciever, wait a few minutes, remove battery and sim card, wait a couple more minutes, put battery back in without the sim card and charge over night. This seems to have helped. I was going to try a warm reset to see if there was suddenly something running in the background that should not have been but I have not had to do that yet.
    I know that the battery reset routine that you describe is one of Palm's suggestions and several posts say it helped their battery life, but I am really not sure that it substitutes for calibrating the battery meter the more basic way that I described a few posts earlier. If you havent tried that, it might be worth doing so, and if so, I would be interested to know 2 things: 1. Does it stay at zero for a long time before shutting down completely? (if it does, then you know the other 'battery reset' method did not properly calibrate the meter). 2. Do you get improved performance in standby mode?

The 10-12%/hour drain is probably another matter. These mysterious drains appear to affect some people occasionally and may be related to a particular combination of software/hardware activity. There is another thread dedicated to trying workout what seems to trigger these drains.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    I know that the battery reset routine that you describe is one of Palm's suggestions ...
    I believe this is not one of Palm's suggestions, but a pipe dream that floated into these threads from the Scandinavian Steppes, where they also suffer from theft of vital organs for transplant purposes while asleep. It's a cold, miserable place, and you wouldn't want to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I believe this is not one of Palm's suggestions, but a pipe dream that floated into these threads from the Scandinavian Steppes, where they also suffer from theft of vital organs for transplant purposes while asleep. It's a cold, miserable place, and you wouldn't want to go there.
    You may be right, at least in terms of the origin of the battery reset thing (although I thought I saw it on a Palm site, but may be wrong - I have seen so many different suggestions about what things should be done to improve the battery performance that I've lost track). I feel the need to defend scandinavia since I have a few friends from there...Sweden is pretty nice in the summer! Denmark has very good beer. Norway - beautiful fjords. Finland...very friendly folks who love vodka. I have been there a couple of times and never once lost a kidney.
    I wouldn't bet on it. Usually these things go undiscovered until you need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it. Usually these things go undiscovered until you need them.
    Well, if they only took one, doesnt that prove that they really are thoughtful and compassionate people?
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839