Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839 LastLast
    I've had my Treo for 3 days. I've given it 3 full charges and discharges since I got it. This morning, after an all night charge I unplugged it and within 5 minutes my battery meter said I had 89% battery left. This feels a bit off. Maybe there are quite a few defective batteries that are being shipped with this unit.
    I had something a little odd happen to mine last night.. The phone ran completely out of juice in my holster, so I plugged it in. I needed to do something with it, so I gave it about 15m, then reset it (why wouldn't a button press wake it up? I had to cycle the battery). After that, I moved the phone to my bedroom to finish charging overnight.

When I woke up this morning, it was still charging according to the LED and the lightning bolt through the battery symbol. It would have most definately been finished charging, but perhaps I caught it topping the battery off or something. Some chargers trickle, some do short normal bursts.
    I also saw this.
    My device was charging the complete night, yet when I observe the graph created by BatteryGraph, it drained a bit, then it charged again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Been getting very good life so far...trying the battery reset as we speak...let's see after that
    Mine just continues to improve. I took my phone off the charger last at 8am on Friday morning. It is now Sunday at 3:30pm. I have talked on the phone for a total of over 2 hours since Friday, sent and received about 20 text messages, spent about a half hour browsing the web, checked my email a few times (I don't have auto-polling turned on), and I still have 44% remaining. The phone has been in standby the whole time -- I never turn it off. I'll probably charge it up tonight, which means it lasted 3 days with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrminator View Post
    I've had my Treo for 3 days. I've given it 3 full charges and discharges since I got it. This morning, after an all night charge I unplugged it and within 5 minutes my battery meter said I had 89% battery left. This feels a bit off. Maybe there are quite a few defective batteries that are being shipped with this unit.
    I have seen this too. It usually seems to happen when the 680 has been on the charger for longer than necessary (eg. overnight). When I switch it on while still plugged in, it reads 100%, but drops down by between 2 and 10% as soon as it is unplugged and the amount seems to depend on how long it was on the charger. If I plug it straight back in, it gradually charges back up to 100%, and if I take it off as soon as it gets back up to 100 (after 20 minutes or so)), it stays there (at 99%).

I am working on a theory that the unit fully charges to 100% as expected, but that it does not remain topped up with trickle charge as it is supposed to, ie. that once fully charged, it then gradually discharges, and the amount depends on how long it is on the charger after being fully charged. I am testing this out. Has anyone else noticed that the longer on the charger, the more it drops when unplugged? If this is right, then it seems to be another curious little problem with this device.
    I think that is generally right, but with qualification. The charger brings the battery up to 100%, but doesn't keep the charge there, because constant charge, even trickle charging, will probably adversely affect the battery life. Instead, it allows the battery to drop down to some predetermined level whereupon it will bring it back up to 100%. If you leave the battery charging for a long time and then take it off, there is always the possibility that the battery will show something less than 99 or 100%, depending where in the slow discharge process you took the battery off. But I think we are talking about a very small margin which can only help, not hurt, overall battery performance. I think a lot of charging circuits work this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    I have seen this too. It usually seems to happen when the 680 has been on the charger for longer than necessary (eg. overnight). When I switch it on while still plugged in, it reads 100%, but drops down by between 2 and 10% as soon as it is unplugged and the amount seems to depend on how long it was on the charger. If I plug it straight back in, it gradually charges back up to 100%, and if I take it off as soon as it gets back up to 100 (after 20 minutes or so)), it stays there (at 99%).

I am working on a theory that the unit fully charges to 100% as expected, but that it does not remain topped up with trickle charge as it is supposed to, ie. that once fully charged, it then gradually discharges, and the amount depends on how long it is on the charger after being fully charged. I am testing this out. Has anyone else noticed that the longer on the charger, the more it drops when unplugged? If this is right, then it seems to be another curious little problem with this device.
    Yes, I've seen this behavior too. I always charge my Treo overnight. When I unplug the charger in the morning there is usually an immediate drop in the battery level reading from 100% to anywhere between 92% and 98%. Most mornings, the drop is to 96%. If I plug it back in for about 10-15 minutes, it will go back up to 100% and then reflect 99% when I unplug it.

I use the bundled AC wall charger to charge overnight. I've been meaning to try using a trickle charging USB sync & charge cable to see if the same thing happens. I'll try to remember to do that tonight and then report back.

Other than this oddity, I've been reasonably happy with my battery life. I have two OEM batteries. Both have been conditioned a couple times (fully discharged and recharged) and I've performed the battery meter reset a few times too. Battery life greatly improved over the first 1-2 weeks and then leveled off (I've had my 680 for about 6 weeks now).
    My wifes phone has been off the charger since 8am Friday morning or so, which is about 60 hours ago now, and it's at 62%. Phone on, only applications 'running' are Butler and VolumeCare. She has VeriChat too, in SMS mode. Bluetooth is on, not discoverable (oh, hidden).

Mine gets about 12h with my normal data and usage so far.
    After 4 days owning a 680 I'm returning mine to Palm for a refund. The battery life is too erratic, and its clear to me after a couple days of use and testing that there are some serious problems yet to be resolved on the phone. Best of luck to all you that are working with these things.
    So I go away a few weeks, still interested in upgrading to the 680 and people are still complaining about the battery life or trying to justify that 12 hours of usage landing the battery at 40%+ is great stuff...

Umm...does Palm know people like me are getting convinced that the 680 is not the phone to buy?

C'mon Palm - surely some of your employees read these forums. You people in Palm trying to sink yourselves?
    Did you notice that Palm has released a patch that really improves battery life ? My Palm lasts now for at least 3 days (on moderate usage).
    PalmAttitude.org
    your n1 french-speaking Palm resource on the web !
    Battery lie has been good..I don't have the discipline to NOT use the phone and check the absolute length I get, but I can easily go 24 hrs w/o charging so far....

EDIT: Now with data usage and emails my battery lie has gone down a bit..more like 14- 18 hrs though i've stopped letting it go to 0% so i may be underestimating it.
    Last edited by bruckwine; 02/15/2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Wow, I was at 0% for 8 1/2 hrs today before it finally died. Maybe with this next full charge, my meter will be more accurate.
    I bet it will be! Have you not allowed it to run down till it dies before? I would be very interested to hear what you find in terms of battery drain now, compared to before. (and you have also succeeded in bringing a very old but very popular thread back to the top! - if anyone could be bothered to read the whole thing, it would be like a historical account of the TREO 680 and its battery woes).
    I was under the impression that you didn't want to let the batter go to 0%, only till it said that a recharge was needed. I must have misread one of the previous 700+ posts, I guess.

From the point of view of battery care, you should not do this routinely because it can be bad for LiIon batteries. However, from the point of view of getting the battery meter on the 680 calibrated to the full range of the battery, it appears to be necessary. It is known as battery meter (or fuel gauge) calibration. Check out www.batteryuniversity.com for a more detailed explanation about this stuff. The Mac website also recommends this for their portable computers. This is almost certainly the cause of the 680 staying at 0% for so long in the previous post from mcclark, and will also mean that the battery meter drops down much faster than it should, because what it thinks is 0% might actually be more like 30% for example. When my 680 reads zero, that means it is really at zero (i tested this last week and it didnt last long after reaching zero, which means my battery meter is still properly calibrated). It probably doesnt make any difference to the actual battery life between charges, but it makes a big difference to your impression of how much battery power remains.
    So I visited my local phone/gadget store on the weekend and I was sold immediately on the form factor.

Having read these messages here in these forums, it came across as all mixed messages. Some people saying its great battery life after patch and some people saying its not so good, etc. I decided to take a gamble and bought a 680.

After almost a full week of heavy usage, here is my conclusion. From a full charge, the Treo 650 can last me 4-5 days without charging.

The Treo 680 can last me almost 2 days without charging.

If you are a Treo 650 user, you will not be happy with the 680's battery life (after the camera patch).

Like me, you may be willing to accept this inconvenience as it is a smaller sized battery (just slightly) but cutting the battery life by more than 50% of the previous model is not really satisfactory for Treo650 who are only expected each subsequent Treo model to get better.

However, as I mentioned, for me, I am willing to accept this situation (partly because I like the form factor) and will not return the 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    From the point of view of battery care, you should not do this routinely because it can be bad for LiIon batteries. However, from the point of view of getting the battery meter on the 680 calibrated to the full range of the battery, it appears to be necessary. It is known as battery meter (or fuel gauge) calibration. Check out www.batteryuniversity.com for a more detailed explanation about this stuff. The Mac website also recommends this for their portable computers. This is almost certainly the cause of the 680 staying at 0% for so long in the previous post from mcclark, and will also mean that the battery meter drops down much faster than it should, because what it thinks is 0% might actually be more like 30% for example. When my 680 reads zero, that means it is really at zero (i tested this last week and it didnt last long after reaching zero, which means my battery meter is still properly calibrated). It probably doesnt make any difference to the actual battery life between charges, but it makes a big difference to your impression of how much battery power remains.

I guess I didn't give enough information. I am breaking in new phone, so was wondering how far down to let it run. I agree that the LiOn batteries should not be run down on a regular basis. I like the concept of thinking of it as a meter calibration as opposed to a battery one. Great one!!