Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kagratton View Post
    My problem turned out to be the battery. I received the replacement device Thursday and placed the new battery in the old device just to see what happened. And it work as designed. I then placed the old battery in the new device and it worked as previous. So that tells me that it was something in the battery. I must admit that when I called the Cingular un-helpfull helpline that they did want me to go back to the local store where I purchased the phone and get a new battery. But I did not want to deal with them again if that proved to not be the problem so I talked them into sending me a new phone.
    Can you be more specific? What sort of drain were you seeing with the old battery? What drain are you seeing with the new battery? What sort of network and phone usage do you normally have?

Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    As for tracking, if you go to the FED EX or UPS website, it is very accurate. I've tracked packages and have had them show delivered within 15 minutes of them dropping it off. I think their tracking system is better than the USPS one.
    When I ordered my 680 from Palm, it showed up at my door before any tracking detail ever showed up on the FedEx track site.
    Network/Internet settings all turned off. 15 sec to screen off, on call dim at 30 seconds, Bluetooth is turned off, Phone is turned on.

Time % Voltage Notes
    7:00 100 4200 a)
    9:05 87 4060 b)
    9:10 87 4070
    9:12 86 4070
    9:30 86 4070 c)
    9:45 85 4060 d)
    9:55 84 4030
    9:57 83 4020
    10:03 82 4010
    10:05 82 4000
    10:08 82 3990
    10:12 81 3980
    10:21 80 3970
    10:40 77 3950 e)

a) 2 pictures taken 7:45AM. 1 phone call. Beam Receive turned on 7:55am and 1 picture sent. Screen set to lowest setting with a little backlighting.

b) Beam Receive turned off

c) 1 Phone call received

d) Beam Receive Turned back on

e) Palm called me and the testing ended

With Beam Receive on, usage 3mV/min

Without Beam Receive on, usage .5mV/min

Obviously, more testing is needed
    So today, from the charger to work (about an hour and a half), 8% drain in standby. I put it on the charger on my desk, when the green light lit (15 min later) I took it off. Now I am getting the magic 1% an hour drain again. I don't get it anymore. And my drive has better signal than my desk...
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    So you're saying Palm is any different than any other global company these days? I think not.. Everyone is outsourcing their call centers.
    You're right. But they are listening. I work for a hospital group repairing xray imaging systems. One of our vendors has all of their tech support calls routed through India, and have had for several years. Very poor quality service, one of our major complaints about this company. Recently we were told that they were no longer going to have their tech support calls for the US routed through India, that they would be taken care of here. I guess companies are learning that the only thing you get moving your customer support to India is ticked off customers. But they are starting to listen.

The problem that I was having was that after showing a 60% battery, it started showing to be charging when not attached to a charge. This would go away but showed a constant 99%. Never dropped for two days. In addition unable to perform a hard reset and soft resest did not resolve either.
    Quote Originally Posted by kagratton View Post
    The problem that I was having was that after showing a 60% battery, it started showing to be charging when not attached to a charge. This would go away but showed a constant 99%. Never dropped for two days. In addition unable to perform a hard reset and soft resest did not resolve either.
    ...huh?
    is anyone in here laughing yet? OH MY GOSH!

hilarious! it continues!

c'mon....someone else must think that its become comical....oh my
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    It's a new feature called 'wireless charging'
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    ...huh?
    3 posts... you've gotta wonder.

More details please?! (If they have GPRS off and phone off, 2 days is very possible.) Sounds like a weirdly screwed up charging circuit anyway (if true)

P.S. I want that wireless charging too.
    With the phone off it will last a lot longer than 2 days.
    As a first time treo user who recently bought the treo680 I have been following the battery issue with interest (since of course I ran into it too). I thought I would share my experience. Once I followed the battery guidelines posted in various forums (totally drain and 24 hr charge battery a couple of times, do hard reset by removing batt for a minute while charging, BT off, IR off, dim screen) I found I was getting about 1% drain per hour with the phone on and minor usage (a few calls, a few emails) so the phone lasted about 4 days without a charge. But I found that the moment I took just ONE photo the battery drain immediately went up to 3-4% per hour and stayed that way until I did another hard reset (and after that it went back to 1% per hour drain again). Note that turning to ringer off and on with the switch did NOT work - you have to hard reset. So it looks like the camera is staying on and not going back to standby after it is closed. If I stay away from the camera then I get good battery life all the time. I even get about 10 hours playtime when listening to mp3s.
    I can confirm this.
    Just went through another cycle (this will be my last) where I drained the battery completely.
    This was over a period of almost 48 hours, above moderate usage.
    BatteryTime indicates 10h30 on-time which in my book is SPLENDID !

But stay clear from that camera or you will see the meter dropping fast ...
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by stepheng View Post
    As a first time treo user who recently bought the treo680 I have been following the battery issue with interest (since of course I ran into it too). I thought I would share my experience. Once I followed the battery guidelines posted in various forums (totally drain and 24 hr charge battery a couple of times, do hard reset by removing batt for a minute while charging, BT off, IR off, dim screen) I found I was getting about 1% drain per hour with the phone on and minor usage (a few calls, a few emails) so the phone lasted about 4 days without a charge. But I found that the moment I took just ONE photo the battery drain immediately went up to 3-4% per hour and stayed that way until I did another hard reset (and after that it went back to 1% per hour drain again). Note that turning to ringer off and on with the switch did NOT work - you have to hard reset. So it looks like the camera is staying on and not going back to standby after it is closed. If I stay away from the camera then I get good battery life all the time. I even get about 10 hours playtime when listening to mp3s.
    Please correct yourself... What you are doing is NOT a hard reset. It's called a battery reset. A hard reset wipes all apps from the Treo back to factory default state. Don't get people confused and think they have to do a hard reset to try what you're doing.
    Please correct yourself... What you are doing is NOT a hard reset. It's called a battery reset. A hard reset wipes all apps from the Treo back to factory default state. Don't get people confused and think they have to do a hard reset to try what you're doing.
    Oops, that part I seem to have skipped when reading ... You are 100% right. Haven't had to do a single hard reset yet.
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    For any newcomers to this site who are looking for advice on how to improve the performance of their 680, who may not have read through all 37 pages, it is worth restating something about the 'battery discharge/recharge cycle trick' for want of a better name. It is widely agreed that this makes a big difference, but there are two points of view on how much it needs to be done. One is that it must be done several times, the other is that it only needs to be done once. This is probably because there is confusion about what it is trying to achieve. From all my reading, I firmly believe it is about calibrating the 680's battery meter, NOT about conditioning the battery, and it only needs to be done once (providing you COMPLETELY discharge and the TREO cannot be switched back on, then fully recharge). This is to calibrate the battery meter in the TREO, not to condition the battery. Li-ion batteries DO NOT need to be conditioned, and fully draining them is harmful and actually shortens their life span, so doing this more than necessary is ill-advised. At the very least, you can try it just once, and if it gets you a drain of 0.5-1% per hour (or less) on Standby (phone radio on, BT, IR, Timecheck off and no data activity) then you have probably achieved the best level of performance you can hope for, so no need to do it again and you will just harm your battery by doing so.

As pointed out by many other users, make sure you also do a soft reset if you have used the camera at all, as the battery drain will remain high until you do this, and then remember, if you use the camera, you will always need to soft reset or battery drain will go through the roof again. This seems to be a completely separate problem from the battery meter and hopefully palm will issue a fix for this.

Check out earlier posts for a more detailed explanation of what battery meter calibration does, and/or check these websites:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm,
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
    I have setup a 5 factor, with 2 levels each, designed experiment, using Taguchi statisical/matrix methods. Setup is to optimize maximum battery life.

The factors are:

Blue Tooth (Off/On)
    Beam Recieve (Off/On)
    Network Connected and used every 15 minutes (Email check to ensure the Network stays connection) (Off/On)
    Camera Used (3 pictures taken after power disconnected) (Not used/Used)
    Sound (Off/On, using the switch on top of the phone)

I have 4 of the 8 experiments completed. The rest should be complete by tomorrow night. I'll post the data, the analysis, the stats and the conclusion. I already do have an idea of the problem, but I will wait until all of the data is in before posting the conclusions.

James
    Nice one James. I carried out a similar expt to test BT, IR and Time sync, albeit without using stats.
    One question - are you starting from a point where your battery life is good with minimal activity to see which things make it worse? ie. have you performed a soft reset to remove any problems from previous camera use?
    I look forward to hearing of your results.
    I'm having good luck with battery drain now. Periodically, though, the drain increases for no apparent reason (I haven't used the camera in eons).

The good news is that the no-battery charge technique always restores the good drain scenario:
    • Plug in your 680.
    • Remove the battery.
    • Wait several minutes.
    • Put the battery back in (Treo soft resets).
    • Continue charging until green light.
    • Detach charger.
    • Fix your Treo's clock (which was stopped while the battery was out).

I consistently get a 0.5% to 1.0% drain per hour after this procedure. It takes about a week for the drain to deteriorate again.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I purchased a Treo 680 two days ago. After reading through all the battery-life threads, I was kinda worried. But to my surprise my device doesn't seem to show any of the issues stated here. The day before yesterday, I charged to battery over night. I disconnected the Treo from the charger at about 9 a.m.
    I set Auto Sync to check my e-mail accounts every hour. Because Versamail doesn't disconnect the GPRS connection on the TREO, the connection was on all day. I also sent some SMS messages and surfed the web on the device for about 30 minutes. I turned off the phone over night and this morning I still had 83% charge - I wouldn't call this bad. It's actually about the same as on my previous device (a HTC TyTN which I got rid of because WM 5.0 simply SUCKS).

Anyway, I ordered a 2400mA/h battery made by Cameron Sino (I had one of those for the TyTN before and was very happy with it) for trade fairs and other occasions when I use the phone more heavily or for when I use it as a bluetooth modem for my Macbook Pro (which drains the battery of ANY smartphone very quickly).