Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839 LastLast
    i have fixed the "battery life" problem by returning the phone.

now i can sleep at night.
    Splitters! (just kidding! )
    actually, it did take them quite some while (almost 2wks) to credit my account even AFTER they received the unit. yes, i sent it next day fedex and tracked the delivery. they state that "once received" the amount will be credited back to the user.

do you know what that is called? "free carry" on their part.

palm is not only dumb they are scum.

DIG: did you say something?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    actually, it did take them quite some while (almost 2wks) to credit my account even AFTER they received the unit. yes, i sent it next day fedex and tracked the delivery. they state that "once received" the amount will be credited back to the user.

do you know what that is called? "free carry" on their part.

palm is not only dumb they are scum.

DIG: did you say something?
    No, it's called "Processing time"

Two weeks is probably a bit long, but I challenge you to show me a "Corporation" that credits your account the instant it is received at the dock. Hell, even two days after receipt. Even the mighty Cingular takes 3 months to process a rebate.

And you should know better than to trust FedEx or UPS tracking. I have a UPS package I opened on Monday that still says "In Transit" in their system. I've also seen a FedEx package show "delivered" and then show up two days later.

Nevertheless, I wish you the best in your ventures. I'm not sticking up for Palm here, just asking that you show some restraint. While your experience has certain been less than appealing, others are happy with the product, low battery life or not. Hopefully the next phone you purchase will be everything you've desired.

Best Wishes.

/ancker
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    No, it's called "Processing time"

Two weeks is probably a bit long, but I challenge you to show me a "Corporation" that credits your account the instant it is received at the dock. Hell, even two days after receipt. Even the mighty Cingular takes 3 months to process a rebate.

And you should know better than to trust FedEx or UPS tracking. I have a UPS package I opened on Monday that still says "In Transit" in their system. I've also seen a FedEx package show "delivered" and then show up two days later.

/ancker
    Actually the phone isn't going back to Palm, but a company that processes their returns (BET they're pretty busy right now ).

As for tracking, if you go to the FED EX or UPS website, it is very accurate. I've tracked packages and have had them show delivered within 15 minutes of them dropping it off. I think their tracking system is better than the USPS one.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinewizard View Post
    On a side note, I don't think I've ever created a thread (in any forum that I'm a part of) that has had 688 replies
    Since 32,000 hits have been seen in here with a release of a phone for less than a month, I think we can agree that a battery problem exists...now can we agree that Palm surely knows about it? So then the question begs: do they care at all about their customers, either the individuals or the intermediaries (Cingular, Verizon, etc.) that they have burdened with returns, replaced batteries, exchanges and frustrations?
    I don't think Palm gives a rip about us. If they did, they would have tech support in the US instead of outsourced to some third world country where the person you are talking to is reading from a script, and the only solution reached is to send the phone in. The only thing Palm will understand is the bottom line, which will be drowning in red ink when phones start showing up on their door step as returns.

I had an issue on Tuesday that I went out for a while and before I did my battery meter said it was at 60%. When I returned an hour later the meter indicated that the battery was charging and was 99%. The device was not attached to a charger. I tried a soft reset and the phone took forever to come back. Called Cingular CS and they were lost. They wanted me to try a hard reset but the device would never do one. It just bypasses the whole process and still takes forever to come back. And continues to show 99% battery. Took some convincing on my part to get Cingular to send me a new phone. The only 3rd party software that I had installed was KB LightsOff. Deinstalled this and still have the problem. New phone is due today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I don't think Palm gives a rip about us. If they did, they would have tech support in the US instead of outsourced to some third world country where the person you are talking to is reading from a script, and the only solution reached is to send the phone in. The only thing Palm will understand is the bottom line, which will be drowning in red ink when phones start showing up on their door step as returns.

So you're saying Palm is any different than any other global company these days? I think not.. Everyone is outsourcing their call centers.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Yeah, but the smart ones are bring them back onshore. They listened to their customers complain

So nothing from Palm yet eh? Bummer
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Well, but what is the actual issue? I somehow expect that it's more to do with the perceived quality of the support and not language or social barriers. And that is, sadly, not something that would probably change if they pulled it back. We aren't magically going to get direct lines to engineers who could actually tell us whether something is problem or not -- and actually admit whether there is a fix or will be one. The frustration, as I see it, seems to be more around getting a lot of non-answers from Palm.

I wonder if Apple's approach to Cingular -- "get out of our way and we'll give you something good, and you WILL like it" -- wouldn't be the antedote to this... to end Palm's skittishness about making any proactive statements about their plans, being ever fearful that carriers would stand in their way of doing stuff... ?

Mind you, that doesn't explain their non-response on the battery situation. But at this point I don't think there's really anything for them to tell us except "we'll be posting a fix for this on ____"
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Well, but what is the actual issue?
    (taroliw: this is in no way directed at you)

I think the actual issue is people who don't work with lots of Customer Service or TACs. (and I realize that by saying that, they'll all reply saying they work with CS "All the time", in which case I'd wonder whether it is the product or the user causing the problems)

These people expect first or even second tier Service Reps to be able to explain engineering problems and/or make projections on when updates/patches/fixes will be available. It just simply isn't going to happen.

My line of work has me finding bugs in Switching/Routing hardware and software all the time. We have large contracts with several of the big players which grant us access to the Engineers. But we're in the enterprise market, spending millions of dollars annually with these companies. When you call about your Treo, you're a consumer, you've spent no more than $399. And aside from any limited warranties, they have no obligation to even talk to you after the sale. Of course no one would buy their product if they didn't have SOME sort of CS, but there is no Law requiring it.

You have to go through the same things with Palm as you do every company. Dell has peon CS Reps, so does Motorola, so does Mitsubishi, so does everyone that sells any sort of product or service. Look at the automobile industry. It takes 100,000+ reports of failures before the companies even THINK about issuing a recall and we're talking about potentially LIFE THREATENING failures. Its not like your Treo is catching on fire when you're talking and shooting flames into your ears causing your brain to melt.

Now take a look at it from Palm's perspective...A handful of callers, and a few webforums of people complaining about battery life. I'd say 80% of Treo680 users wouldn't even think to look their Treo up on the internet unless they were researching a problem. And what would they find? This forum with people complaining about battery life. Makes for a pretty specific userbase; the enthusiasts, the people with problems, many of which are both.

It's not hard to see how Palm might downplay the problem. If they sold 100k Treo680s, MAYBE 1000 people call in, and 1000 people complain on the internet (if Palm even looks), we're still talking 0.2% of the users having/reporting the problem. Say another 1000 people return their 680 without reporting any problems. They've lost a sum of 0.3% of their 680 users. I can't even imagine the percentage of pissed off 680 users when compared to the total number of Palm users for all of their products. 0.0001% maybe?

Now lets take a look at Microsoft (most of the people returning their Treos are going to WinMob5 devices). Microsoft ADMITS vulnerabilities in their software. ADMITS things aren't working right. ADMITS it should be patched. They even have a regularly scheduled day every month where they release patches. YET they still often times still take months to patch bugs. And yet you're likely still using Windows to read this, and can't wait for that Treo750/8525/Blackjack to show up at your door.

While I agree there is a problem with the 680 battery life, I'm not freaking out about it. I charge it every other night, sometimes every night. If the problem is something that can be fixed with a patch or update, I trust that Palm will fix it. Yeah, i'd like it to be sooner than later, but the 680 isn't their only product. Fixing the battery life on the 680 to please 0.2% (best case) of their userbase, is likely NOT their #1 priority.

Sorry for the book, but I'm getting sick of the constant complaining in this thread. Post something useful like something you've discovered or something you think might be the cause. Don't make these threads useless by filling them with your constant complaints about Palm. Make a new thread about that so I can ignore it.

/ancker
    Last edited by ancker; 01/11/2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Yes, although I myself did make several posts to this thread early on it became clear quickly that this was a general issue. Nothing more can be learned or addressed until Palm gives it attention. I can see how some might disagree to the degree of the impact -- Cingular now ships Blackjacks with *two* batteries in the box, for example. I don't know that it's that they don't care... it may just be that they don't know what to do about it. I'm sure they could scan this thread for many suggestions, though.

I am actually quite satisfied with my 680. Battery life, although shorter than my 650, is something I'm finding I can work with. I just have chargers in all my usual haunts. This includes friends' places who also have Treos. We all compare battery charge and whoever has the least gets to use the available chargers. LOL PS3 owners have gaming parties... Treo users have charging parties.

In all seriousness, though, I'm sure we can expect that the next firmware update will contain some kind of modification to help address the apparent meter issue... or perhaps it will result in an engineering change. Hard to say. But there doesn't seem to be a lot more we can add to that technical discussion after 36 pages of thread.
    You're wrong about the small percentage of users here being unimportant from a commercial perspective. This and other similar sites are filled with enthusiasts, you're right, and a lot of "geeks." But those are the people called "early adopters" upon which a lot of marketing is premised. I'm not sure it's happened here yet, but what happens on sites like this, if replicated across most of them, has substantial effects on marketing. As for me, I have not complained about the battery life, but it is noticeably worse than the 650, and I do not get a complete day of absolutely full use. I have to conserve my power, something I didn't have to do with the 650 once I bought the extended battery. The phone also resets just as much as the 650 and seems to have just as many bugs (it also lost the section symbol that you could call up on the 650 keyboard--I'd like to see a thread devoted just to that). The best news is the IPhone, which I would not use on a bet, but which I hope wll put the fear of whatever into Palm so that they are a bit more ambitious in the future.
    My reset experience with the 680 is definitely nothing like yours then, mdavis. I've done a few manual resets to clear application issues since getting mine almost six week ago but haven't yet had a single unexpected reset... not one. And this is running the same stack as on my 650 where I was having at least one a day.

I do appreciate your point about market affect of early adopters and "geeks." I might have considered the 700p as an upgrade from my 650 *except* that I saw how many problems people were having with them. I decided to wait to see what happened after the first firmware update... and oh look, we're still waiting. So from that perspective, early adopters and "geeks" can determine early success of a product, as others look to them for advice and recommendations -- even if it is just based on people lurking in these forums seeking product info.

Might I have avoided the 680 if I'd waited a few extra weeks and saw these postings, in addition to some more recent product announcements (ahem)? That's a tough call, actually. Between the trade-up deal I got and my early experience with the device (no resets! yay), I think I would still recommend the 680. The qualifications I would offer (and, actually, have offered) to anyone seeking advice would be about the inherent instability of the POS and potential frustration over (drumroll please) battery life. But the degree to which one will be affected by these really depends a lot on how they use the device and what stuff they plan to install and run on it.

So, while I don't mean to suggest these are non-issues, and I *do* fully expect Palm to work on addressing them, I do not expect these signal a death knoll for the 680. On the contrary, I think the 680 will probably do pretty well in this market. That should be no excuse for Palm to continue dragging it's feet on replacing Garnet, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Somehow, over the weekend, I got the magic 1% an hour drain. I didn't do anything new, it just happened. It seems to be back to 3% an hour now. I am now looking at signal strength issues...
    Is 3% an hour really a problem? That's 32 hours or something.

I got 12 hours yesterday and I was ecstatic :-)
    I have Verichat online and email syncing all day long, made about 20m of phone calls, and played with my phone at least an hour today, put in several appointments, browsed Treo Central for 15m, played Enigma in the Cellar for 10m, Billiards for about 15..

It came off the charger at 7:30am and it's 13:30 later and it's at 10%. Granted, my Treo 650 would have been at around 70% right now, but it sounds like a lot of people are saying it's much less time than this. I have a LOT of programs running.. Butler, 4cast updating, cradlecare, findhack, fontsmoother, plus about 6 others.

This doesn't include anything like Pocket Tunes which I used to use a bit at work. I'm not ecstatic about the battery life of the 680, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as some people say it is. I suppose when someone comes out with a larger capacity battery that doesn't need a replacement battery door to fit I'll get it though.
    I get 12 hours (just barely) using Chatter push and moderate phone. But that's not quite enough for me, because I'm on the road from about 8:30 am to 11:30 pm. I need 15 hours, obviously, and I had that with the 650--and I thought that was bad!
    Although I'm not crazy about the inconsistent battery drain that I experience with my 680, I DO love this phone. Just recently, I added a line of service to my Cingular account for my son and, since I had a little spare Nokia lying around for him, I used the new activation as an opportunity to try out the 8525 (Windows Mobile).

After using the 8525 for about 2 weeks, I reaffirmed my love of the simplicity and ease-of-use of the Palm OS. I really don't find a need to do much multi-tasking on a PDA, so WM doesn't toot my horn that much (besides, you get more than 2 or 3 apps running at one time and it's slower than a Cingular rebate

I also found that, even with a faster processor and NO 3rd party apps loaded, the 8525 was very slow by comparison to my Palm. I'm not really a "power-user", but when I access my PDA calendar and tasks, I need it to be FAST. I am in court hearings often and have to make calendar entries quickly, and I found the 8525 to be very poor at this. It seems like everything I need to do on a Palm takes one button press or one tap of the stylus, where on a WM device, good luck with THAT --- easily 2-4 taps before you get what you need. Thus, the 8525 went right back to Cingular.

Am I thrilled about the 680 battery life? Not so much. However.... my battery has been acting better over time (got my 680 on Dec. 5) and I've yet to have it completely die before my day ends. In fact, with moderate use during the day (some email, a few texts, a few phone calls, lots of calendar, contacts, and tasks use) I still have at least 50% left. Not TOO bad. I had more left with my 650, but hey, the 680 is just better for me in several ways.

Thanks for bearing with me while I blather, but I thought it might be helpful to some to share my WM experience and to also share the fact that I've learned to "just let go." I'll patiently wait for Palm to fix any battery glitch that might exist, and until then, at least I know that I'm using a product that works far better for my needs than a frickin WM phone
    After having done many things to investigate my power drain on the 680, I'm convinced now that the short battery life is due to a flaw in the phone's firmware and not the battery itself. Did anyone notice that Seidio was taking advance orders for extended life batteries for the Treo 680 (provided with a new battery cover to accomodate them) said to ship on January 15th, only to now be saying that the batteries won't be released until end of January at the earliest? I'm betting that Seido won't release the new extended life batteries because they are seeing the same kind of power drain problem in the Treo 680 with their new batteries as well as the original batteries provided by Palm and have realized that people will think its their batteries and that they'd be inundated with returns and headaches. Anyone want to take me up on that bet? Here's the rest of it: I'm betting that we will not see these extended life batteries released unless (and until) Palm sends out a fix for the 680 phones...so, don't anyone hold your breath until Seido ships! (If I were them, I would not want to jump into this either, till I knew what was going on with the 680 phones first!)
    My problem turned out to be the battery. I received the replacement device Thursday and placed the new battery in the old device just to see what happened. And it work as designed. I then placed the old battery in the new device and it worked as previous. So that tells me that it was something in the battery. I must admit that when I called the Cingular un-helpfull helpline that they did want me to go back to the local store where I purchased the phone and get a new battery. But I did not want to deal with them again if that proved to not be the problem so I talked them into sending me a new phone.