Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2530313233343536373839 LastLast
    I use TimeCopy for that (already since my TE). Every time I sync, time is adjusted with my laptop (which gets synced with some NTP server out there ...)
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by Celf View Post
    GSM off, BT off, IR BEAM off no apps installed, no sync and screen brightness appr. 30%. System was idle during the full period.....off.
    I read an article ...don't remember where...that discovered the camera software wasn't fully shutting down when thew camera was inactive.

I activated my camera and now it seems my battery life is slightly better. I also ordered the Seidio extended battery to help. It should give about twice the life. The bad part is it uses a different battery door that makes the phone look like a beluga whale.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorr View Post
    I have had my Treo 680 for about a week. The battery life is getting better, but as an aside - the treo is losing time. I have set it manually and checked it today, it was 15 minutes slow.

Has anyone had this happen on the Manual time and date setting for the Treo 680?
    I've noticed this happen whenever I pull the battery...for whatever reason. It usually stays correct as long as the battery stays in.
    I thought Seidio had not yet produced a 680 specific extended battery. If you use the one for the 750, there is a possibility that the 680 will not be able to reliably determine the power level of the battery.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    I thought Seidio had not yet produced a 680 specific extended battery. If you use the one for the 750, there is a possibility that the 680 will not be able to reliably determine the power level of the battery.
    it is available for preorder and the site says it will ship Jan. 15.

Here's a link:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=598

*The subject line is supposed to say "but" not nut. I'm sorry if you might have thought I was calling you a nut. I wasn't.*

It seems I cannot edit the subject line.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    it is available for preorder and the site says it will ship Jan. 15.

Here's a link:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=598

*The subject line is supposed to say "but" not nut. I'm sorry if you might have thought I was calling you a nut. I wasn't.*

It seems I cannot edit the subject line.
    phoeey! and I was already getting all riled up
    Quote Originally Posted by pshrimpton View Post
    After a month of having my 680 I have narrowed the issue down to the GPRS connection. Without the GPRS connection connected I average 1% battery drop an hour, and that includes calls, sms's and general PDA use. With GPRS connection on, I average 8% drop an hour regardless if anything is actually using any data or not.
    I keep the data radio off by default, and I will turn it off manually when I'm done. Having it off makes no difference to my battery life. When it was in the drain cycle, the data connection was off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    PHil,(Pshrimpton),

ANy chance you can tell us how to turn OFF the GPRS - not just turn off the phone, I can do that and see a HUGE difference in battery reliability.

I am talking about not letting the phone search for GPRS signal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this phone will actually show via indicators the signals it is pulling in -

Standard black (on my phone) upright bars which vary in height according to signal strength) indicates what? 800/1900 signal bands?

The Black Triangle which indicates "EDGE" GSM? Signal?

And the Green Arrows - are theses the GPRS indicators?
    I'm not Phil, but will I do?

Antenna and vertical bars: Cellular strength. Black triangle: Data connection is available. Green arrows: Data connection is open.

Palm, in their finite wisdom, have removed the "Disconnect when done" option in most/all of the included data-using applications (Treo Web/Blazer, Versamail) on the 680 so you will have to turn off the data connection manually. To do this with no added software, you would go into the Preferences app, open the Network panel and toggle off the data connection state from there. Or you can use a third-party application that can toggle the connection.

HiLauncher is one such that has this ability, as well as a bunch of other incredibly useful functions, including a toggle for Beam Receive, (cellular) radio toggle, app MRU list, static application lists, DA launcher, and more.

Right now I have the Internet connection set to Notify before connecting - So I am assuming that the internet signal is turned off until I say "yes" go to the internet.
    Unless you're not prompted...

But I can set the phone down with three black bars showing and watch those bars fluctuate from 4 to SOS emergency call only!
    I've seen that too. But that has nothing to do with the data connection being open or the battery issue. My best guess is that it's a tower capability issue. As long as there is signal, emergency calls must get through, so I think this means that when all available channels on the tower are being used by active calls, anyone connected to that tower who is not on a call goes into "SOS Only" mode until channels become available again.

Sometimes the EDGE triangle will show up, sometimes it doesn't.
    That sounds to me like you're in a fringe area. Either the signal quality isn't high enough to support data, or you're fluctuating between a home tower and a roaming tower on a system that doesn't have a data roaming agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    HOWEVER, the sites also explain that devices that use Li-ion batteries have to have their battery meter calibrated by fully discharging and recharging. I THINK this is what is making the difference to those of us who have allowed the phone to completely discharge. ie. it is not about the battery, just the battery meter. If this is correct, an important point is that only one full discharge (until the phone can not be switched on - this is probably important to ensure the battery is at absolute zero)/recharge cycle should be required, and if anything, more than one can be unnecessarily harmful for the battery. After that, the phone should be topped up more frequently and not allowed to run right down where possible. The discharge/recharge cycle can be repeated if the meter again seems to require calibration (performance appears to gradually decline).
    This makes sense to me. When I had a Kyocera 7135, I eventually wound up with a free spare battery, due to a paperwork snafu regarding their battery recall. So what I did was I kept a battery in the cradle's battery-only charge pocket and just used the phone as normal. After a few months, I'd notice the charge life start to decrease. When that happened, I'd let the phone discharge all the way to the battery warning, then swap batteries.

Reported charge life back up to where it should be. Repeat every few months.
  10.    #690  
    On a side note, I don't think I've ever created a thread (in any forum that I'm a part of) that has had 688 replies
    Excuse me for posting in 2 threads but it is relevant:

So I finally called Palm after trying everything to get more than 7 hours use out of my treo 680 - So I am talking to customer service (insert country here) and I am told that the specs for the Treo 680 is 4 hours talk and 12 hours standby!!! OMG .. I look on the Palm website and it says up to 300 ... well I guess technically 12 is up to 300 but it is one heck of a long way off it! So I get escalated to a Tier 2 tech and he also tells me that the standby time for the Treo 680 is 12 hours and agrees with me that it is a little off the published 300.

Has anyone else heard this new claim .. and if so how can Palm publish up to 300 hours?

Who do I write to at Palm for either:
    a. misleading me in my purchase
    or
    b. Their Customer Service representatives misrepresenting the Brand and the phone

Finally at the end of the call he admitted to me that there is a Battery issue but there is not enough stock to replace either my phone or send me a new battery and he suggested returning the phone!

I am a long time Palm advocate but this is terrible customer service IMHO.
    and I am told that the specs for the Treo 680 is 4 hours talk and 12 hours standby!!!
    It seems that Palm dont really know what to do and dont know their own product very well. There are plenty of reports now that people can get well over 12 hours standby (more like 200 for me). You should try the battery meter calibration trick, turn off functions you dont need to have constantly on, dont use the camera at all, and then see how you go.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    It seems that Palm dont really know what to do and dont know their own product very well. There are plenty of reports now that people can get well over 12 hours standby (more like 200 for me). You should try the battery meter calibration trick, turn off functions you dont need to have constantly on, dont use the camera at all, and then see how you go.
    Before you jump to any conclusions, realize that this happens in every business. I had a real Cingular rep tell me that Cingular would NOT get the 680 and that they would be getting the 700p very soon. This is obviously horribly incorrect. I just figure the sales rep was either given incorrect information or just didn't know everything about the Treo.

Its very possible that this guy misread the specs. 300 hours is 12.5 days. Perhaps he said 12 hours instead of 12 days. It's all speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinewizard View Post
    On a side note, I don't think I've ever created a thread (in any forum that I'm a part of) that has had 688 replies
    you should have named it "how to make your Treo 680 work"

nice job
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    BatteryGraph says my phone was on for 4 hours out of the 11 hours since i have disconnected it from charging. That is not possible. I got four 10 min calls and some light browsing. That is no way the phone was on for 4 hours!

some app is waking up the phone. Does BG tell what apps kept the phone up?

Need to try this again after a hard reset.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    Before you jump to any conclusions, realize that this happens in every business. I had a real Cingular rep tell me that Cingular would NOT get the 680 and that they would be getting the 700p very soon. This is obviously horribly incorrect. I just figure the sales rep was either given incorrect information or just didn't know everything about the Treo.

Its very possible that this guy misread the specs. 300 hours is 12.5 days. Perhaps he said 12 hours instead of 12 days. It's all speculation.
    Fair comment and maybe this doesnt represent Palm's viewpoint, except the post from 'Aussie' that prompted my comment says he spoke to 2 reps (Tier 1 and Tier 2). That aside, I think the number of posts in this and other discussions about TREO 680 problems would suggest that Palm are not exactly in control of the situation with this model, or if they are, then it would be nice to see some acknowledgement of the many problems people seem to be having.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Excuse me for posting in 2 threads but it is relevant:

So I finally called Palm after trying everything to get more than 7 hours use out of my treo 680 - So I am talking to customer service (insert country here) and I am told that the specs for the Treo 680 is 4 hours talk and 12 hours standby!!! OMG .. I look on the Palm website and it says up to 300 ... well I guess technically 12 is up to 300 but it is one heck of a long way off it! So I get escalated to a Tier 2 tech and he also tells me that the standby time for the Treo 680 is 12 hours and agrees with me that it is a little off the published 300.

Has anyone else heard this new claim .. and if so how can Palm publish up to 300 hours?

Who do I write to at Palm for either:
    a. misleading me in my purchase
    or
    b. Their Customer Service representatives misrepresenting the Brand and the phone

Finally at the end of the call he admitted to me that there is a Battery issue but there is not enough stock to replace either my phone or send me a new battery and he suggested returning the phone!

I am a long time Palm advocate but this is terrible customer service IMHO.
    4 hours is when using the phone, I do not think there is any discussion about that.
    300 hours is with the phone OFF ! Radio out ! Device not being used otherwise.

It is just the way Palm defined 'standby' and this is where the misinterpretation starts
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Well last night got the battery sign after about 10 hrs of use...left it on and turned off kblights, auto-off to 3 minutes and played ptunes for about 40 mins after the first signs....waited and fell asleep - last time the phone registered was 3 hrs AFTER that! Guess mine still needs calibrating!
    my battery life is perfectly fine now. i have fixed the "battery life" problem by returning the phone.

now i can sleep at night.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    my battery life is perfectly fine now. i have fixed the "battery life" problem by returning the phone.

now i can sleep at night.
    Ditto. Just dropped it off at my local UPS store for shipping. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to credit my account.