Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    Maybe that 'trimming' is the part Palm 'forgot', but as far as I see it there is NO problem with the battery as such.
    Camera ? Undecided yet for me.
    Yeah. With 640 posts and 29,0000 views of the thread, I'm sure this "battery problem" PERCEPTION is just a figment of our imagination..maybe some form of mass psychosis - NOT!!!

Obviously, there is a problem for the VAST majority of people, and it is HIGHLY LIKELY that Palm released a product that is flat out DEFECTIVE.

They need to fess up and fix it. Pronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I flew across the country to visit my family. Since I was on a plane, I had to shut off my Treo's radio. After five hours of flying, my battery hadn't drained more than 1 percent or so. That's the best battery life I've ever gotten.

Overnight, if I don't leave it on the cradle charging, my 680 will drain at least 20-40%, sometimes more. Keep in mind that I only sleep for four or five hours every night.

This is with Bluetooth off, and I almost never use my camera.

I definitely think it's a firmware issue, and I think it's related to the radio. I get a great signal in my house, so I don't think that's it. Who knows?

One thing is for sure: Palm's estimate of 300 standby hours is way beyond the usual exaggeration of marketing speak. Unless they're considering turning the phone's radio off "Standby." I can't imagine getting 24 hours of standby time, let alone 300.
    Just wanted to update my experience with battery life. I originally received my unlocked 680 from Palm in early December. For the first week, my experience was pretty much like yours. In fact I had to carry the charger with me to work and had to charge my Treo within 6 hours of light use (basically standby...bluetooth off....chattermail with power conservation settings on). I let the battery drain about 4-5 times then did a complete charge and I then did hard reset * 2 which improved things very slightly (i.e., not sure if it really helped). After about 3 weeks of depleting the battery completely before recharging, the battery I guess became fully "conditioned". Now the 680 is working very reasonably. I am an active Treo user (intermittent bluetooth use, intremittent Blazer use, heavy Chattermail use, TeleNAV use, ptunes, aeroplayer,TCPMP). Now I am getting on average a full 24 hours (at least) before a recharge and no longer need to carry a spare charger or battery with me.

I really don't know what's going on with the battery but I just wanted to let the newer owners of the 680 to give it at least a couple of weeks before "throwing in the towel".
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramet View Post

I really don't know what's going on with the battery but I just wanted to let the newer owners of the 680 to give it at least a couple of weeks before "throwing in the towel".

I gave two phones almost a full month before throwing in the towel. Right after I got mine, I called Palm tech support and complained. Their only solution was to send me a new phone. That is why I have two of them. I have tried for three weeks to get them to let me send the first one back, all I get is promises that they "will email me a shipping label".

But my experience with both phones was similar. VERY INCONSISTENT battery life in a nutshell. Sometimes it would be good, going 2-3 days before a recharge, sometimes 2-3 hours. Nowhere near what I got from the 650 I had, which could go for days before needing a charge. My main concern is reliability. I need a phone that will give me known performance, and with the 680 I don't feel I ever got that. That is why I sent them both back. Actually, I'm trying to send both of them back. I'm still waiting on Palm to "email" me the shipping labels.

BTW, when I talked with the Palm rep telling them why I wanted to send them back, he tried to convince that I needed to talk to their tech support, that they had a lot of things they could do, even mentioned sending a third phone. But once I told him that I was dissatisfied with the battery performance and not holding a charge like the 650, his whole attitude changed, and he said that they would escalate my returns so I can get my purchase price back. I think Palm is getting slammed with people who are returning their phones, and it may be making an impression on them, at least in the customer service department.

Too optimistic. I should have kept my 650. I envy my friend who bought my 650! It is a radio problem, I am sure sure that Palm knew all the way about this problem. They have screwed themselves with this phone. I have been using Treo since Treo 90. The best were 180 and 650 as far as the battery is concerned. Some young marketing MBA has in in enthusiasm marketed it early to grab sales because of Christmas!!! long live Palm after Treo 680........
    Just wanted to update my experience with battery life. I originally received my unlocked 680 from Palm in early December. For the first week, my experience was pretty much like yours. In fact I had to carry the charger with me to work and had to charge my Treo within 6 hours of light use (basically standby...bluetooth off....chattermail with power conservation settings on). I let the battery drain about 4-5 times then did a complete charge and I then did hard reset * 2 which improved things very slightly (i.e., not sure if it really helped). After about 3 weeks of depleting the battery completely before recharging, the battery I guess became fully "conditioned". Now the 680 is working very reasonably. I am an active Treo user (intermittent bluetooth use, intremittent Blazer use, heavy Chattermail use, TeleNAV use, ptunes, aeroplayer,TCPMP). Now I am getting on average a full 24 hours (at least) before a recharge and no longer need to carry a spare charger or battery with me.

Too optimistic. I should have kept my 650. I envy my friend who bought my 650! It is a radio problem, I am sure sure that Palm knew all the way about this problem. They have screwed themselves with this phone. I have been using Treo since Treo 90. The best were 180 and 650 as far as the battery is concerned. Some young marketing MBA has in in enthusiasm marketed it early to grab sales because of Christmas!!! long live Palm after Treo 680........
    Quote Originally Posted by visahmad View Post

I agree, I was too optimistic when I sold my 650. But I have moved on to the Tmobile DASH, and it will do.... at least until the unlocked Treo 750's hit the US market at a reasonable price (and hopefully better battery performance).

Any rumors on a firmware update? I was over at the Cingular forum and nobody seems to be griping about the battery at all.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    had the chance to return my treo 680 for a replacement and also purchased an extra battery. my treo 680 now has REALLY longer battery life and i'm happy about it.
    i'm NOT addicted to palm devices. can you give me my treo now?
    Updating my experience I had tried to install and get PDANet to work via bluetooth and was unsuccessful. I did get it to work without complaint via USB. But the big drain started thereafter. I follow this thread and saw a user or two had suggested some bluetooth items and a 'bulb' lit up in my head. I deleted my pc from the 680's trusted device settings and saw improvement right away. I also turned off all of the system sounds and did not see a big difference so I'm not in the microphone/phantom sound is the issue crowd any more. I am now almost to a reliable state. Where before 8 hours off the charger left almost nothing to work with, I now can leave it off for 25 hours and still have about 50% battery life remaining. This is not great and much worse than my 650, but its safe enough that I think of the phone as stable/ safe to rely on.
    Why? So that 30 days goes by and it can't be returned for a refund? ...like I did? {BTW: Do you happen to work for Palm?}
    After a month of having my 680 I have narrowed the issue down to the GPRS connection. Without the GPRS connection connected I average 1% battery drop an hour, and that includes calls, sms's and general PDA use. With GPRS connection on, I average 8% drop an hour regardless if anything is actually using any data or not.

Phil
    After a month of having my 680 I have narrowed the issue down to the GPRS connection. Without the GPRS connection connected I average 1% battery drop an hour, and that includes calls, sms's and general PDA use. With GPRS connection on, I average 8% drop an hour regardless if anything is actually using any data or not.

Phil
    PHil,(Pshrimpton),

ANy chance you can tell us how to turn OFF the GPRS - not just turn off the phone, I can do that and see a HUGE difference in battery reliability.

I am talking about not letting the phone search for GPRS signal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this phone will actually show via indicators the signals it is pulling in -

Standard black (on my phone) upright bars which vary in height according to signal strength) indicates what? 800/1900 signal bands?

The Black Triangle which indicates "EDGE" GSM? Signal?

And the Green Arrows - are theses the GPRS indicators?

Right now I have the Internet connection set to Notify before connecting - So I am assuming that the internet signal is turned off until I say "yes" go to the internet.

But I can set the phone down with three black bars showing and watch those bars fluctuate from 4 to SOS emergency call only!

Sometimes the EDGE triangle will show up, sometimes it doesn't.

Since I installed TreoLAuncher there is a tiny set of numbers that shows up in my signal area, these too will vary.

I seem to be graphically challenged, in that I can't make heads or tails out of battery graph - so I uninstalled it.

Then tried the battery.prc posted on this forum and still no luck reading that one, besides which I think because I had it set to write to the card, it kept resetting my device, so I uninstaled that.

I guess I need an explanatory KEY to tell me what these graphs are showing.

ONe thing that was evident with both of them was the numerous peaks and valleis of a device that was supposed to be dormant!

Could there be some sort of problem in the switching - like say, when you turn off the radio there is a tiny program still checking to see if the radio is actually off? Or maybe "OFF" isn't actually turning off just kind of only going halfway - kind of like when you hold a light switch close to the off position and the bulb flickers as the electricity surges?

Or When the radio is on, it keeps telling itself to turn on again, then says, " oh yeah - I AM already started!" ? Kind of like restarting a running car?

That's how my simple mind would interpret those graphed lines.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I have been watching and contributing to the TREOnauts site, where people have been discussing similar problems with their 680s. I also started out being disgusted with battery life, but I tried various the various tricks mentioned here and at TREOnauts, and I now routinely find my 680 battery only declines at 0.5% per hour in standby mode (with phone ON and GPRS connection active, but no intentional activity). That equates to approx. 200 hours of standby time. Phone/data/screen use impacts on the battery life obviously, but I can typically get through at least 2 days on a charge with light use (2-4 x 1 minute calls and roughly 30-90 minutes of screen activity). Based on my various tests, I think the most important thing I did was the battery calibration trick, but minimising bluetooth, IR beam and time checking have all helped minimise battery drain. My only remaining concern is the camera bug, as (like others) I have also observed that activating the camera sends the battery into a discharge frenzy that can only be stopped with a soft reset.
    Regarding a firmware upgrade, I found this comment at the Brighthands forum on the 680 (see http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12700).

Late review note: comparing the phone firmware of the Cingular model that I received from Palm and some of the user models that are unlocked from Palm that were reported in the Brighthand forums, there was an update released for the phone firmware that does seem to show a different (slight in some cases, greater in others) rate of battery drain. I am therefore concluding that it will be very possible that a ROM update for the early Cingular batch of Treos will be able to address issues with battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    PHil,(Pshrimpton),

ANy chance you can tell us how to turn OFF the GPRS - not just turn off the phone, I can do that and see a HUGE difference in battery reliability.
    Either go to prefs/network and select disconnect or get the applications "network Down' or 'Reset NetLib'.

I am talking about not letting the phone search for GPRS signal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this phone will actually show via indicators the signals it is pulling in -

Standard black (on my phone) upright bars which vary in height according to signal strength) indicates what? 800/1900 signal bands?
    Black Bars: Denotes standard cell phone coverage, you can use your phone to make calls

Black Triangle: You are in an area that has GPRS (data) coverage... but are not connected to GPRS (data)

Green Arrows: You are connected to GPRS (data) and can use the internet.
    ANy chance you can tell us how to turn OFF the GPRS
    prefs>network->disconnect

Phone coverage

GPRS Coverage

Connected to GPRS

Phil
    Thanks Jaytee,

I did install network down and used it recently. Simple straight forward program!

Thanks for the explanation of the signal status.

So I'd guess that since the phone is registering the black triangle and it means it is within a GPRS zone, but is not transferrig data - that the phone is still definitely sending OUT GPRS signal?

This I think is where there is an issue. Why can't we turn off the GPRS and just use the "regular" phone signal?

I really do think that because the phone is constantly trying to make a GPRS connection and search that is where the battery problem begins.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Nope.. The phone isn't sending out a GPRS signal with the black triangle. It is just detecting that the network is available. I get very reasonable battery life if I stay off GPRS most of the time (that is, checking once an hour for email updates and then disconnecting from GPRS). I am currently at 81% and have even tried IMing a bit and downloaded the new googlemaps earlier today... and left BT on until lunchtime. I am running about 4% to 5% per hour.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Update on my battery life:

Last night, put the phone on the charger around 2200, phone had 39%. I let it charge overnight. Took the phone off the charger at 0715 (Battery said 99%). I have NO GPRS, NO auto Date/Time, synced with cable twice, and zero talk time. Currently at 1320 my battery is at 95%. Thats a full 6 hours with LESS than 1% drain per hour.

Other than what I've listed above, I have no idea what I've done differently.

/ancker