Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    I just had my first major battery drain problem yesterday. Phone was on, BT was on, IR off, did not use the camera since my last reset. Started with the 680 fully charged. Used the PDA functions a bit, used the phone for maybe 10 minutes. Six hours later, the battery was 80~85%. Not too bad.

Two hours later, it was at 42% and the back was warm to the touch.

During this two hour period, I had not even touched it. It had remained in my KRussell horizontal case the entire time. In poking around, I noticed that my BT headset was off. I had left it on in its own standby mode.

I turned off BT and set it aside until the warmness went away. I then played some AcidSpider and AcidFreecell off and on for a couple hours. The during this time, the battery meter fluctuated between 40% and 43%. When I went to bed, it was at 41%, so I plugged it into a charger.

When I got up, the LED was green and it claimed 100% while charging. I unplugged it and the battery meter immediately dropped to 95%. It's now being topped off in the cradle by my computer.
    Just want to chime in and complain about the aggravating battery situation with a symptom I've never seen before:

I took it off the charger and made a couple of calls and saw that the battery had dropped down to 80% so I'm thinking it was going to be a "death spiral" day where the phone is dead by 3PM. I switched Z-Launcher to show me the voltage and it was at 4.10. I'm there thinking that REALLY doesn't sound right since 100% is 4.20v (at least on mine)

I plugged it back in for maybe 20-30 minutes tops and then unplugged it and made another call. Now I'm at 95% BUT the voltage is at 4.07. That sounds more in line.

I'm a consultant and I remember the days before standardized installation programs like InstallShield where a company would make an amazing program and screw up the installation routines causing us consultants extreme headaches.

Did Palm forget to test the battery guage routines on the 680 when they shrunk the batteries?

Maybe they should bring back how the Handspring Visors would let you choose whether you were running alkalines or NiCd (I think there was no option for NiMh).

I doubt Palm appreciates us for beta testing their hardware!
    I continue to get such inconsistency. I haven't changed any variables. And again out of the blue like before, I get a noticeable drop in battery life.
    Today took it off the charger at 7:15. Two brief phone calls around 9 am-and couldn't believe it-battery was at 75%? Made one more call of about 10 minute duration. At 59% in the noon hour. Even with a smaller battery, I just can't see that I have legitimately used up 40% worth of battery resources this early in the day. But then tomorrow who knows-I might end the day in the 60 range again like the day before last!
    I continue to get such inconsistency. I haven't changed any variables. And again out of the blue like before, I get a noticeable drop in battery life.
    Today took it off the charger at 7:15. Two brief phone calls around 9 am-and couldn't believe it-battery was at 75%? Made one more call of about 10 minute duration. At 59% in the noon hour. Even with a smaller battery, I just can't see that I have legitimately used up 40% worth of battery resources this early in the day. But then tomorrow who knows-I might end the day in the 60 range again like the day before last!
    I got it!
    When Palm went in to connect the microphone on all the 680's they must have snipped the battery wiring as well and created a short!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    based on the sim card im using, i sometimes get 4 days standby batt life, or 1 day!!

how did u come to the conclusion about the microphone short?
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I got it!

When Palm went in to connect the microphone on all the 680's they must have snipped the battery wiring as well and created a short!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprockett View Post
    based on the sim card im using, i sometimes get 4 days standby batt life, or 1 day!!

how did u come to the conclusion about the microphone short?
    There was a rumor back before the 680 was released, that the release was delayed due to the microphone not being properly connected during construction. The units had to be recalled to properly connect the microphone.

Curious....how did you determine battery life through your SIM card?
    Well, I finally threw in the towel and called Palm to get an RMA number for my 680. The kicker was today at work. I got in, put the 680 in the cradle and it was charged in about 45 minutes, and showed 99%. I work in a hospital and we can't get cel phone reception in the building so I leave at my bench. I took it out of the charger at about 9:30, and went about my normal service routine. The phone was one but no signal, and everything else was turned down like usual, no IR, no BT, etc. etc. all of the power saving tools that have been discussed. Got back the shop after lunch around 1:30ish, and the 680, without being moved or touched, was down to 45% charge left. That is totally unacceptable, and was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not just the rapid charge, but the inconsistency of the battery performance. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but it has never been great. So I called Palm and told them I wanted to send it back. Got the usual "would you like to talk to tech support, etc. etc.", but this is it. I stopped at the Tmobile store on the way home and picked up a Dash. It was $329 without any contract extension. I charged it when I got home, set it up (no major deal since I already have an iPaq 4155), and have been fiddling with it all night. After a couple of calls, some net surfing (both WiFi and over the phone), some email and reading, the battery is at 88%. That is four hours of some what constant use. Hopefully Palm will get their act together and resolve this issue. I really like the Treo form factor, but as I've always said, I need reliability. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my 650 now.

TTFN

If you are not getting cell reception, what you are seeing is actually NORMAL !
    Think about it: it is a HUGE battery drain if the device is constantly trying to get cell reception, emitting at MAXIMUM power all the time.
    I was having the same problem with my previous cell phones if I was out of coverage (both Alcatel). They would drain within HOURS.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    *chuckle* I came very close to posting the same thoughts. Everyone knows battery gets eaten up something fierce when there's very low or non-existent signal. So when I'm someplace -- like my sister's house, where there is literally no cell service by any provider -- with bad signal I turn the radio off.

In general, though, I have been noticing that my battery life -- as measured by the apparently untrustworthy battery meter -- seems to be improving. i haven't been making any special effort to deep-cycle the battery.
    TOday is baffling:

The night before I did not charge the phone... in the morning it was completely drained, i believe it was less than 50% charged. OK.

I have turned off all system sounds. After receiving calls, or txt msgs I turn off the sounds (the switch above) and back on.

I kept topping off the phone. Because YESTERDAY i experienced what some here have shared with us: that soon after disconnecting it from the charger the phone shows 97 or 93... my phone showed 95% charge...

Well I received text last night but no calls...

I wake up this morning and it had 70% charge still left.

NOT only that, i topped it off and now for 2 hours it shows 99% charge.

WHAT GIVES?
    what did i do?

the adventure continues... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    It just annoys the heck out of me that so many of us are trying to figure out just the exact order of hoops to jump through to optimize battery life on the 680.

Palm should be ashamed of itself. Nobody can convince me that they didn't know this before releasing the Treo 680.

I also don't believe that those of you who suddenly got a better life out of their batteries will continue to enjoy an improvement. Inconsistent performance, along with the rapid sharp drain, has been my personal observation. Its just a teaser to make you think you figured out that magic lucky combination (charge twice without using, spin around 3 times, make sure you turn off clock/calendar/phone/power when not in use, jump up and down twice, stop using the camera altogether since it takes fuzzy pictures anyway, then whistle Dixie and chant "more power, more power, more power" a few times...and then maybe a day will come when...YES! you'll still be at 47% for two hours- hallelujah!!!).

How about Palm coming up with something more novel than afficionados unknowingly being suckered in to cover up for a malfunction ...how about an actual fix/replacement/recall and a more public acknowledgement from Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    If you are not getting cell reception, what you are seeing is actually NORMAL !
    Think about it: it is a HUGE battery drain if the device is constantly trying to get cell reception, emitting at MAXIMUM power all the time.
    I was having the same problem with my previous cell phones if I was out of coverage (both Alcatel). They would drain within HOURS.
    However, this was not the normal case. Somedays the phone would only drain 10-15%, somtimes 80%. It is the inconsistency of the drain that I fed up with. On the weekend, sitting on my dresser, it will drain 40% in 4 hours. I recharge it to 100%, it'll be good for a day. As for sitting in an area with no reception, every other phone I've used (including the Treo 650) didn't drop more than 2-3% during the day. So I can't buy your argument that this is a normal situation. The DASH that I replaced it with has only lost 3% today sitting in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    how about we all talk about something else?

Well, if I didn't have to shut off every darn function other than phone, maybe I'd talk about other things Treo 680 related. But right now I'm still just trying to keep it charged enough to just behave like a phone when I need it to (without plugging it into the wall), I have nothing else to say or to talk about, or that I want to read about which is Treo 680 related...other than reading about what Palm's going to do for a fix. One last admonishment to my fellow Treo 680 owners: don't refer to this model anymore as a 'smartphone' till it can figure out how to stay charged!
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher View Post
    That all depends on the amount of use you put your treo through.

I've been watching this thread with interest because I still use a 650 and plan to upgrade to a 680 but for reference, a normal day of 650 usage (BT on and off (in the car), about an hours worth of phone calls, vibrating and audible alarms at full volume and averaging 10 SMS messages a day) drains a fully charged Treo 650 100% charged battery to about 70-75% battery.

This is with a battery that is around a year old.

So regardless of your counter point about the 680's battery sitting at 40% at the end of the day, it looks really BAD from my perspective with my 650.
    the 650 should last longer as it carries a larger battery.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccaone View Post
    It just annoys the heck out of me that so many of us are trying to figure out just the exact order of hoops to jump through to optimize battery life on the 680.

Palm should be ashamed of itself. Nobody can convince me that they didn't know this before releasing the Treo 680.

I also don't believe that those of you who suddenly got a better life out of their batteries will continue to enjoy an improvement. Inconsistent performance, along with the rapid sharp drain, has been my personal observation. Its just a teaser to make you think you figured out that magic lucky combination (charge twice without using, spin around 3 times, make sure you turn off clock/calendar/phone/power when not in use, jump up and down twice, stop using the camera altogether since it takes fuzzy pictures anyway, then whistle Dixie and chant "more power, more power, more power" a few times...and then maybe a day will come when...YES! you'll still be at 47% for two hours- hallelujah!!!).

How about Palm coming up with something more novel than afficionados unknowingly being suckered in to cover up for a malfunction ...how about an actual fix/replacement/recall and a more public acknowledgement from Palm?

and to think that some newbie posters had labeled me as bashing this device.....pollyanas....
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    No. They labelled you a Troll™. Big difference.

In my opinion

Oh, and BTW, simply because someone doesn't have 500+ on "THIS" board, doesn't make them a "newbie".

Luck.
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    No. They labelled you a Troll™. Big difference.

In my opinion

Oh, and BTW, simply because someone doesn't have 500+ on "THIS" board, doesn't make them a "newbie".

Luck.
    based on "their" commentary it does.

lets get this straight: do those on this board seem upset or pleased with the 680 battery life?

enough said. and yes, their defensive comments are childish in nature so i will take the liberty to label them as such, as yourself.

accept it, it wasn't a great release on Palm's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccaone View Post
    Well, if I didn't have to shut off every darn function other than phone, maybe I'd talk about other things Treo 680 related. But right now I'm still just trying to keep it charged enough to just behave like a phone when I need it to (without plugging it into the wall), I have nothing else to say or to talk about, or that I want to read about which is Treo 680 related...other than reading about what Palm's going to do for a fix. One last admonishment to my fellow Treo 680 owners: don't refer to this model anymore as a 'smartphone' till it can figure out how to stay charged!
    who are you speaking to? i'm with you silly!
    FWIW I am looking at my phone right now after 49 hours (that's right fortynine !)
    Still 11% left. GSM radio was on all the time.
    This is the 3th deep discharge I have done since I got the device (Dec 24th), I will now once again soft reset when connected to the charger and start using the camera to see what it gives then.

I still haven't seen responses from people complaining that they have actually done the trimming themselves. I have explained on other boards, when replacing the battery on my T3 I was seeing the exact same thing. A new LiIon battery needs to be trimmed, it takes 5 to 6 full cycles to do so.

Maybe that 'trimming' is the part Palm 'forgot', but as far as I see it there is NO problem with the battery as such.
    Camera ? Undecided yet for me.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user