Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 769
  1. #601  
    do you have any bluetooth connections on your phone? Try removing them and see how well your battery life is. I did and mine is great now
  2. #602  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    As the author of KB LightsOff, I'm chiming in regarding KB LightsOff and battery life. There is no reason that I can think of (except for a very serious OS bug) that would link using KB LightsOff to worse (rather than better) battery life. In fact, I have a report from a user who says he doubled his battery life after using the program.

    In any case, I should be receiving a 680 in a few days and will test it myself. Stay tuned.

    For anyone who believes KB LightsOff worsened their battery life, please list the settings you're using in the program.
    Hi, Silverado. I've been trying to contact you via your website, but maybe it will be easier for you to respond to me here.

    I used KB LightsOff on my 650 with great success and am using it now on my 680. One problem I'm finding is this: the 680's power settings for dimming the keyboard and backlight during a call is overriding my KB LightsOff settings. Is there something you can do about this? It would be great if I didn't have to worry about my 680 hijacking KB LightsOff during a phone call. I look forward to your response. Thanks!
  3. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #603  
    A couple of weeks ago I flew across the country to visit my family. Since I was on a plane, I had to shut off my Treo's radio. After five hours of flying, my battery hadn't drained more than 1 percent or so. That's the best battery life I've ever gotten.

    Overnight, if I don't leave it on the cradle charging, my 680 will drain at least 20-40%, sometimes more. Keep in mind that I only sleep for four or five hours every night.

    This is with Bluetooth off, and I almost never use my camera.

    I definitely think it's a firmware issue, and I think it's related to the radio. I get a great signal in my house, so I don't think that's it. Who knows?

    One thing is for sure: Palm's estimate of 300 standby hours is way beyond the usual exaggeration of marketing speak. Unless they're considering turning the phone's radio off "Standby." I can't imagine getting 24 hours of standby time, let alone 300.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  4. #604  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I flew across the country to visit my family. Since I was on a plane, I had to shut off my Treo's radio. After five hours of flying, my battery hadn't drained more than 1 percent or so. That's the best battery life I've ever gotten.
    Yep, that's seems about right.

    Just to compare, since I got my Treo 680 last Dec 12, I switched off the radio of my old Treo 650 to switch the SIM to the 680.

    Powered up the 650 a while ago and it still had close to 85% charge in more than 3 weeks. Of course radio was off. But had 3x weekly automated backup on backupman activated.
  5. #605  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayT View Post
    How do you turn Date and Time Updates off? I've found the "Automatically Set" option in Prefs, but no "Updates".

    Ray
    Go to Prefs -> General -> Date & Time, and choose "Automatically set: Nothing".
  6. #606  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    They only conclusive test i've done is turning Date and Time Updates off, and so far, battery life has improved remarkably. Prior, it would drain overnight.
    FWIW, turning off that setting was one of the first things I did, before I even installed any software, and before I knew about the battery problem.

    I'm on Cingular, and the time info sent by Cingular is off by a couple of minutes. Relying on their network time was making me consistently late for meetings. So for well over a year, I've been using the TimeSync app that comes with BackupBuddy Pro to sync my Treo's time to my desktop when I hotsync. And, of course, my desktop syncs to a time server out there on the net somewhere.
  7. #607  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    As the author of KB LightsOff, I'm chiming in regarding KB LightsOff and battery life. There is no reason that I can think of (except for a very serious OS bug) that would link using KB LightsOff to worse (rather than better) battery life. In fact, I have a report from a user who says he doubled his battery life after using the program.

    In any case, I should be receiving a 680 in a few days and will test it myself. Stay tuned.

    For anyone who believes KB LightsOff worsened their battery life, please list the settings you're using in the program.
    I think I'm the one who started this subthread here. My settings, as best as I can remember them, included having KBLO set to automatic and 30 seconds. Configured to make a sound, but it never did, to turn the lights back on when pressing the Menu button. And also to toggle the kb lights on the defaulted hardware presses.
  8. #608  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    One thing is for sure: Palm's estimate of 300 standby hours is way beyond the usual exaggeration of marketing speak. Unless they're considering turning the phone's radio off "Standby." I can't imagine getting 24 hours of standby time, let alone 300.
    I'm pretty sure radio off is part of their definition of standby. They are thinking in a pda-centric manner.
  9. #609  
    Just curious, has anyone contacted Palm directly to see what there thoughts are on this problem? Maybe if we all start calling them they will be motivated to do something about it.
  10. #610  
    So i contacted Palm support today about battery drain issue, they stepped through the usual stuff, bluetooth not on, ir not on, not using the internet to much, etc. They suspect my Treo is defective and I should return it. I asked if they were aware of this being a problem with any other 680's they said they havnen't had many complaints of this, not enough to consider it a problem. It doesn't appear they are working on a solution.
  11. #611  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Hi, Silverado. I've been trying to contact you via your website, but maybe it will be easier for you to respond to me here.

    I used KB LightsOff on my 650 with great success and am using it now on my 680. One problem I'm finding is this: the 680's power settings for dimming the keyboard and backlight during a call is overriding my KB LightsOff settings. Is there something you can do about this? It would be great if I didn't have to worry about my 680 hijacking KB LightsOff during a phone call. I look forward to your response. Thanks!
    Hi Bri Guy...

    This is a problem that crept up in the 700p and now the 680. Basically, the Treo cannot change brightness without turning the keyboard lights on. So when it tries to dim the screen (and keyboard) during a call, the KB lights come on. A further complication is that when the keyboard lights come due to a change in brightness, the OS does not "think" they are on, so when KB LightsOff asks the OS what the status of the keyboard lights are, it reports that they are off. This problem was visible in the 650 as well when one used Alt-P to change brightness manually. I will try to find on a workaround.
  12. #612  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggernot View Post
    So i contacted Palm support today about battery drain issue, they stepped through the usual stuff, bluetooth not on, ir not on, not using the internet to much, etc. They suspect my Treo is defective and I should return it. I asked if they were aware of this being a problem with any other 680's they said they havnen't had many complaints of this, not enough to consider it a problem. It doesn't appear they are working on a solution.
    Sounds like the same drill I went through. I talked to someone in India who was reading from a script. The solution they had was to send the phone back for repair. At that time I told them I wanted to return the phone. After talking to customer service, they sent me a new phone. I have the same problem with both of them. I'm ready to send this one back as well. It is toally unreliable as to how long the battery will last. One day it may drop 5%, the next it'll be 40% (overnight, not doing anything). My job requires me to have a phone that is reliable and works without having to worry about where a charger is.

  13. #613  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggernot View Post
    So i contacted Palm support today about battery drain issue, they stepped through the usual stuff, bluetooth not on, ir not on, not using the internet to much, etc. They suspect my Treo is defective and I should return it. I asked if they were aware of this being a problem with any other 680's they said they havnen't had many complaints of this, not enough to consider it a problem. It doesn't appear they are working on a solution.
    Sounds like CYA to me, to avoid potential problems (eg: lawsuits) down the road.

    CLEARLY, Palm MUST know that there is a defect with the 680. Yet, they refuse to acknowledge it.

    I wouldn't be surprised that what's driving this is a fear that if they DO acknowledge it, they will be responsible for millions of dollars of claims and replacement units - and no sane manager would approve such a thing (if they want to stay employed and their career not be ruined, that is).

    So, I wonder this: maybe there is already a "fix", and the official, super-secret strategy will be to say.."gee, your 680 must be defective. Send it to us and we'll try to fix it". All the while, Palm KNOWS that at least "some" (all?) of the 680's ARE INDEED DEFECTIVE and will just replace them as people call to complain.

    What will be really interesting to see is if those who get a replacement unit from Palm will fare any better, and what happens when people start sending back the 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th..and so on..680s that they get in an attempt to get a "working" 680. But, maybe by then, Palm's thinking they'll get a fix and quietly slip it in to the firmware for whatever phones they ship out then..
  14. #614  
    Have you also noticed that you can dim the lights down a certain mysterious step by pressing Alt-Menu? It toggles down and up, seemingly unconnected to Alt-P
  15. #615  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Have you also noticed that you can dim the lights down a certain mysterious step by pressing Alt-Menu? It toggles down and up, seemingly unconnected to Alt-P
    Yes, this is called "Night" mode and is supposed to dim both the screen and keyboard lights. The same issue I talked about above with the keyboard lights coming on applies here.
  16. #616  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Hi Bri Guy...

    This is a problem that crept up in the 700p and now the 680. Basically, the Treo cannot change brightness without turning the keyboard lights on. So when it tries to dim the screen (and keyboard) during a call, the KB lights come on. A further complication is that when the keyboard lights come due to a change in brightness, the OS does not "think" they are on, so when KB LightsOff asks the OS what the status of the keyboard lights are, it reports that they are off. This problem was visible in the 650 as well when one used Alt-P to change brightness manually. I will try to find on a workaround.
    Thanks for your response, Silverado. I'll look forward to any work-around you can muster! Meanwhile, I'm making due with my 680. There are so many other things I enjoy about it vs. the 650 that's still in my drawer.

    Interestingly enough, using BatteryGraph, the database reports that my 680 has been turning on (or something has been active) every 17 seconds! This is with turning off the radio overnight, no bt, no beam. Puzzling indeed.
  17. #617  
    As a counterpoint to all the people having battery problems. Mine works great. 40% at the end of a full the day without recharging.
  18. #618  
    That all depends on the amount of use you put your treo through.

    I've been watching this thread with interest because I still use a 650 and plan to upgrade to a 680 but for reference, a normal day of 650 usage (BT on and off (in the car), about an hours worth of phone calls, vibrating and audible alarms at full volume and averaging 10 SMS messages a day) drains a fully charged Treo 650 100% charged battery to about 70-75% battery.

    This is with a battery that is around a year old.

    So regardless of your counter point about the 680's battery sitting at 40% at the end of the day, it looks really BAD from my perspective with my 650.
  19. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #619  
    I seriously doubt that if Palm is working on a solution that the goobers that take our calls for "tech support" would be aware of it. I mean, it's obvious from talking to them that they are simply reading from a script.
    The one point i'd like to make, and haven't seen it here yet, is that we shouldn't have to be disabling everything on our Treos to get a decent battery life out of it! It's one thing to disable certain features to get BETTER battery life, but to have to disable everything just to get FAIRLY DECENT battery life is just crazy. I'm hopefull Palm will have a fix as soon as they possibly can, whether it's hardware or software related.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  20. #620  
    Quote Originally Posted by indcoltz View Post
    The Treo 680 uses 2.0 technology and not the older 1.5
    Nope, wrong on both counts. The 650 uses 1.1, and the 680 uses 1.2.

Posting Permissions