Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    My 680 has been doing very nicely lately with respect to battery life. I went into the new years eve with about 60% battery and even snapped some pics at a friends house.

I went to sleep last night and neglected to put the phone on the charger. This morning the battery was at 20% and the 680 was still ticking away.

An hour or so on the charger and I'm back to 100% and ready for another day (and year).
    Happy New Year! However, it is hard to see from your post whether you are experiencing the post-camera-big-drain issue. You say you went from 60% to 20%, but do you have any idea how much you were losing per hour when the phone was not being used (after having used the camera)?
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Happy New Year! However, it is hard to see from your post whether you are experiencing the post-camera-big-drain issue. You say you went from 60% to 20%, but do you have any idea how much you were losing per hour when the phone was not being used (after having used the camera)?
    I can only guess. The pics were taken at 8:30 pm. I likely had about 60% power at that point. When I woke up this morning at 10:00 (ish) I had 20% power. That's 40% in 13.5 hours or 3% per hour. I didn't make any calls last night, but did download big clock. Ahhh wait! Big Clock reset the 680, so I removed it. Maybe that stopped the drain?! I'll try again today.
    My experience is that "warm"/soft-reseting the phone briefly does not cure the camera-drain-problem.
    I instructed Launcher III to perform a warm-reset the other day after having activated the camera. The bad drain still continued at a constant rate.
    Also I reckon just ejecting the battery briefly does not do it either - I think some builtin capacitor needs being emptied before the camera shuts down properly...

// Egholm - having had 30% left after 100h
    Quote Originally Posted by Egholm View Post
    My experience is that "warm"/soft-reseting the phone briefly does not cure the camera-drain-problem.
    I instructed Launcher III to perform a warm-reset the other day after having activated the camera. The bad drain still continued at a constant rate.
    Also I reckon just ejecting the battery briefly does not do it either - I think some builtin capacitor needs being emptied before the camera shuts down properly...

// Egholm - having had 30% left after 100h
    Launcher III, wow that's some really old software! Have you heard of Launcher X?
    There's reason to believe that the battery drain issue may actually be related to another issue somewhere in the audio subsystem. The problem, experienced first-hand by some users, is the constant output of an audio signal after using certain applications. These users hear a faint white-noise-like hissing sound that is emitted constantly through the rear speaker upon using certain applications/functions.

There is speculation, based on this, that while the faint hiss sound is not experienced by all users, the defect that causes the hiss exists in every device and that every device, once triggered, will remain outputting an audio signal, even though there is no sound being pumped into the signal (think of it like a blank audio cassette tape being played over and over, robbing power).

It could be a flaw in the actual audio circuitry or it could be a flaw in the firmware that controls the audio. At this point we don't know much other than the fact that this audio issue does exist and that it would certainly explain why using certain applications/functions seems to trigger battery drain; eg: camera app (shutter sound), retrieval of email (alert sound), phone app (call audio), ANY APP (key click sound), etc. etc.... We also know that it goes away after one of three actions: 1. Turning off and on the system sound in the sound preferences. 2. Turning off and on all sounds using the ringer switch on the top of the device. 3. Soft resetting the device.

I personally suspect that the people who hear the faint hiss sound have their system volume at a higher setting than those who do not, thus raising the gain on the faint output. Some users may also never experience it due to disabling certain sounds altogether, be it using the built in preferences, 3rd party hacks or just plain leaving the device on vibrate.

I will most likely try to do some testing on the various 680's I can get my hands on to see if the problem can be pinpointed further and reproduced consistently on each device. Anyone have any ideas at this point? Any things we can all try to see if this really is the issue at hand?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I really don't think it is the camera alone (or at all). I noticed from watching battery graph that it appears to me to be something not sleeping. Yesterday I did not use the camera at all. I was seeing a 1% per hour drop and at about 85%, I did something or something happened and the drop went to 8-10% per hour. I did a soft reset and it was back to 1%. I am 100% sure that it was not the camera as I almost never use it. I did read somewhere that the keyguard was a suspect and also this or another thread was suspicious of zlauncher or the built in launcher?

I wish I could reliably re-create the problem or have some debug tool to tell what is starting and stopping! Maybe then we could solve it.

greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I really don't think it is the camera alone (or at all). I noticed from watching battery graph that it appears to me to be something not sleeping. Yesterday I did not use the camera at all. I was seeing a 1% per hour drop and at about 85%, I did something or something happened and the drop went to 8-10% per hour. I did a soft reset and it was back to 1%. I am 100% sure that it was not the camera as I almost never use it. I did read somewhere that the keyguard was a suspect and also this or another thread was suspicious of zlauncher or the built in launcher?

I wish I could reliably re-create the problem or have some debug tool to tell what is starting and stopping! Maybe then we could solve it.

greg
    Please read the post I made just above yours.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    ok now that I read your post (which came in at the same time as mine.. got a call while I was posting and did not see yours) I do recall my 680 was on silent while I was out. I missed a call and put it back on ring sometime while I was out. I cannot say for sure that it was then the load increased, but I can probably recreate that. I think you may be on to something. It'd be great if this was the culprit. At least then maybe palm could post a firmware patch?

greg
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    My 680 has been doing very nicely lately with respect to battery life. I went into the new years eve with about 60% battery and even snapped some pics at a friends house.

I went to sleep last night and neglected to put the phone on the charger. This morning the battery was at 20% and the 680 was still ticking away.

An hour or so on the charger and I'm back to 100% and ready for another day (and year).
    Very interesting. I've had my 680 for three weeks, and did observe some improvement in battery life over the last couple of weeks as mentioned before when the phone has gone through a few cycles. HOWEVER - today, I snapped about 5 pictures when I had about 65% charge, and did not use the phone at all for about 9 hours (and didn't charge), then when I confidently expected to be able to use the phone for some pTunes, it was DEAD. I'm now recharging.

It seems to me that I haven't used the camera for a couple of weeks, and just when I did use it I experienced an unexpected battery drain.

Ray
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    They only conclusive test i've done is turning Date and Time Updates off, and so far, battery life has improved remarkably. Prior, it would drain overnight.

Just my $.02
    Does this sound familiar?
    For the first week I got about 3hrs of use out of a charge, which has increased to over 4hrs now. Some sort of software conflict affected my battery life last week, killing the battery in just a few hours with no use at all. After a hard reset it has been resolved and I am reloading my applications slowly to find out what caused it.
    Was the author another of our 680-battery-challenged brethren? Nope. He was talking about his new 750v.

Coincidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Does this sound familiar?

Was the author another of our 680-battery-challenged brethren? Nope. He was talking about his new 750v.

Coincidence?

I asked the same question over in the 750 forum, the maority had a few problems with the battery, but nothing compared to ours. But then again WM5 handles the hardware and firmware differntly than the Palm OS. I have used the Tmobile SDA, MDA and Dash, and the battery life was poor compared to the 650 but better than the 680. I could get a 3-4 days out of the SDA and DASH, but only 1-2 from the MDA. But I chalked it up to Microsoft. I see similar battery life out of my iPaq 4155.

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    They only conclusive test i've done is turning Date and Time Updates off, and so far, battery life has improved remarkably. Prior, it would drain overnight.

Just my $.02
    If this is the case, it must depend on how often the carrier submits this info.
    I have been running with "Automically Time & Date" (not timezone) for weeks and still being able to have batterylife above 100 hours and still having 30% left.
    The minute, however, I launch the Camera the drain starts not allowing me to past 48 hours before it goes completely dead!
    My Treo 680 has a battery life of one day with Bluetooth enabled, two to three days with it turned off.
    I just went to Palm.com to see how I could complain about battery life of my new Palm 680, but their forums are down and they say they won't be up until mid-January....mmmmm...think they don't want a bunch of us in there posting on how the battery life for the 680 sucks??? I can't believe that I'm going to spend more money to buy an extended life battery for this phone, which will thicken it right back to the 650 thickness and defeat the whole idea of a lighter version 650. And yes, I stood on my head, disabled every function that I could, prayed over the phone morning and night...and still the battery life races right out of it in a sharp unexplained decline daily. I actually laughed when I read on Palm one of their suggestions for extending battery life: turn off the phone! Hey, Palm, its a PHONE! That's like telling your mechanic that your car doesn't run well so he tells you not to use it. Pretty hilarious. Everything will last longer if you just plain don't use it. Why not just tell everyone not even buy it then???? Then no batteries will ever discharge rapidly in use.

This will be the thing that really kills their company finally if they don't fess up and offer a fix!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccaone View Post
    I just went to Palm.com to see how I could complain about battery life of my new Palm 680.
    I sent two complaints via Palm's email support and each time I recieved an "automated" response saying they will research my concerns. Palm also included a series of "tips" to make the battery last longer.

Surely Palm hasn't closed up shop and SOMEBODY is listening. Either that or everyone at Palm has Treo's without cameras and are getting outstanding battery life!
    As the author of KB LightsOff, I'm chiming in regarding KB LightsOff and battery life. There is no reason that I can think of (except for a very serious OS bug) that would link using KB LightsOff to worse (rather than better) battery life. In fact, I have a report from a user who says he doubled his battery life after using the program.

In any case, I should be receiving a 680 in a few days and will test it myself. Stay tuned.

For anyone who believes KB LightsOff worsened their battery life, please list the settings you're using in the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    How do you turn Date and Time Updates off? I've found the "Automatically Set" option in Prefs, but no "Updates".

Ray
    "kb lights off"

third party program, no? doesn't address those other concerns stemming from devices not running third party programs.

please, no more tricks people....just real honest to goodness fixes.

it shouldn't have to come to this.

hec, rebeccaone probably hasn't even experienced the "camera bug" yet.

it ain't all that bad, it just isn't all that good!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Check your bluetooth connections. When I removed what I was using my battery life went way up. I then purchased a jawbone headset and have had no problems with battery life at all. The Treo 680 uses 2.0 technology and not the older 1.5