Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    The battery on the 680 seems to drop fairly significantly with NO use - within an hour or two.

I had a full charge 2 hours ago. ZERO use. Two hours later..down a quarter.

Beaming is turned off. Screen brightness at 1/3.

The battery issue may be a deal breaker for me. I'm having a REALLY hard time figuring out how I'm going to use the 680 as my main cell phone with a battery that barely makes it through a few calls and a BIT of PDA use without draining. Having to tether to a power supply - whether in the car, or at a desk - kinda defeats the purpose of a MOBILE device. Good grief..what was Palm THINKING putting such a low capacity battery in this thing? And, is there a firmware bug or something that DRINKS BATTERY JUICE when the darn thing is idle?

Wonder how the aftermarket batteries are coming..anyone?
    I would think the battery life would get better just based on the fact that everyone is probably playing with the thing ALOT when they first get it. Just a thought...
    Full charge, no use, and a quarter drop? I don't see anything like that. Do you mean no use at all? If so something is wrong. If you mean no phone use but you are using the PDA function, then OK it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    The battery on the 680 seems to drop fairly significantly with NO use - within an hour or two.

The battery issue may be a deal breaker for me. I'm having a REALLY hard time figuring out how I'm going to use the 680 as my main cell phone with a battery that barely makes it through a few calls and a BIT of PDA use without draining. Having to tether to a power supply - whether in the car, or at a desk - kinda defeats the purpose of a MOBILE device. Good grief..what was Palm THINKING putting such a low capacity battery in this thing? And, is there a firmware bug or something that DRINKS BATTERY JUICE when the darn thing is idle?

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post

I posted in one of the 10 battery forums yesterday, I traded several emails with seidio over the weekend, and they are still 2 - 3 weeks away from any kind of extended battery for the 680.

I cannot begin to imagine what you are doing to lose 25% battery power in 2 hours with zero useage. But nothing posted in these forums surprises me anymore.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I was thinking / hoping that people were over reacting about the battery issue, but my brand new Arctic devours fully charged batteries. I think, though, that it might be related to Chatter... When I have Chatter on the Led stays solid green and the battery doesn't seem to last long. When Chatter is off the Led acts normal (like the 650 I guess) and the battery seems to last a heck of a lot longer.

Dunc
    I have had the 680 for a few days. usually I charge it in the car on way to/from work. Yesterday I decided to see how the battery would perform on a regular day without this help. appauling. by 3pm I was down in red. by4pm it was dead. I use goodlink which could be the drainer, but still, the result is not good. my 650 with the extended battery was marvelous (even after watching a movie). could go on all day and night (and into the next day if not charged). luckily I bought a spare battery.

its odd. one of the best things about the 650 was that it was a workhorse. This is a step back (like the phone app).
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Full charge, no use, and a quarter drop? I don't see anything like that. Do you mean no use at all? If so something is wrong. If you mean no phone use but you are using the PDA function, then OK it's possible.
    Mine is not that bad but I did a few tests. Did a hard reset, no sync and didn't install any software. Did a full charge...left the pda on the charger some more hours and took it off around 10.00 PM.

The next morning the battery capacity was 75%. It lost 25% of its capacity in appr. 10 hours doing NOTHING at all.....wasn't even switched on during that period.
    These numbers were normal in the early battery days when they had to keep RAM alive....There must be something wrong with the battery or the 680.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    If you want a better battery:
    -turn off IR
    -turn off bluetooth
    -turn off WIFI (lifedrive)
    -install handyaid (turns off screen with hotsyncs, and any other software), doesn't turn on the screen when you have a call, sms, alert, only when you press amy button. It has many other features (dim screen, auto-off, etc..). You can use butler to notifie you of sms turn the led light.
    -You can turn off the keyboard light on treo, theres lots of software (try keyshades hack). -You can turn off your phone radio during the night (phone technician).

Anyone know of other usefull tips and good software?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celf View Post
    Mine is not that bad but I did a few tests. Did a hard reset, no sync and didn't install any software. Did a full charge...left the pda on the charger some more hours and took it off around 10.00 PM.

The next morning the battery capacity was 75%. It lost 25% of its capacity in appr. 10 hours doing NOTHING at all.....wasn't even switched on during that period.
    These numbers were normal in the early battery days when they had to keep RAM alive....There must be something wrong with the battery or the 680.
    Did you turn the radio off or just the screen?
    Has ANYONE called Palm Tech Support yet?

What did they say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pighood View Post
    I keep my T3 in its cradle overnight as a matter of habit.
    So do I. I take it out of the cradle at 5am, and by the time I put it back in the cradle at 10pm it has about 20% left on the battery. I am doing the same thing with my 680, using the PDA side of things about the same as my T3 plus making/taking 10-15 minutes of calls, and my 680 is also around 20% when I put it in the cradle at night.

Phil
    Car charger AHOY. Off to Radio Snack to snag a Y-adaptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Did you turn the radio off or just the screen?
    GSM off, BT off, IR BEAM off no apps installed, no sync and screen brightness appr. 30%. System was idle during the full period.....off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celf View Post
    What puzzles me most is that when I take my Palm off the charger (fully loaded) before I go to bed there's 75% left when I get up in the morning.....25% discharge within 10 hours doing NOTHING......phone and BT are OFF!!! and no apps running. It looks like battery technology of a few years ago...like the T3.
    I have noticed the same thing... What on earth could be using that much battery life in stand by mode? And why did Palm decide that the average user wouldn't care if their phone couldn't make it a whole day without charging... They should have just stuck with the same battery size as 650!
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post
    I'm with frankpaolino - my 650 battery level would hardly move with no activity. My 680 level drops at an alarming rate just sat in my pocket for a few hours. Maybe there is something else running (I always keep beam and BT off).

I get down to about 30% of 'normal use' in a day - I take it off the charger at around 7am in the morning. It is ready for another charge by late evening. If I play music, then it is close to being dead by tea time.

Looks like I will be investing in a replacement battery as soon as they become available. Or maybe it will improve ... I seem to remember the first dozen or so charges of my 650 gave a poor battery life.
    I never had any problems with my 650. I used to leave BT off and beam on for the 650 and the battery would often last 2 days or more without a charge. Now (with the 680) I have BT and beam off and by the end of the day I am down to 33%. The extended batteries can't get here soon enough!
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    What was that GoTreo application called that controlled backlight, keyboard light, BT and LED stuff? Does that work?

I wish he'd update the look of that thing though… blech.

(I never use hacks because they always inevitably cause problems, at least initially until the developer works them out, but I need the phone to be working, not resetting and re-syncing!)
    I have my backlight on one of the lower settings and battery life still sux.

battery life is abysmal.
    but at least you can charge your treo when connected via USB cable to your computer.

and old car charger from 650 works as well, so you have another chance to charge Treo while on lunchbreak.
    PalmV-PalmM500-Treo180-Treo600-Treo650-Treo680
    Battery is poor Ok ! So who can explain me why my Treo 680 drain the battery so quickly always when all is Off (Treo, radio, BT, IR...) ???? For me it's a hardware problem .
    I'm puzzled by this as well. I can have phone on, connected to data network running Chatter via IMAP Push and get BETTER battery life than when the 680 is not running Chatter, disconnected from the data network but still connected to the phone service. This seems backward, but this is the case with my 680.

TreoBud
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBud View Post
    I'm puzzled by this as well. I can have phone on, connected to data network running Chatter via IMAP Push and get BETTER battery life than when the 680 is not running Chatter, disconnected from the data network but still connected to the phone service. This seems backward, but this is the case with my 680.

TreoBud
    You're saying the 680 does this? That you get better battery life with Chatter than without?
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast