Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    you win...funny!

have a happy new year.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble View Post
    Thanks. 5k test showed 7kbits, the 50k test shows 84kbits. I pay a la carte, so I'm not going to try anything higher until my bill cycles renews.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I don't think I have read that yet. can someone tell me a little more about this problem of kblights draining the battery a little faster.
    It was mentioned in the Treo Yahoo list, and I think the poster there got the info from a forum either here or at one of the other Treo-centric sites. My only personal evidence of it is anecdotal. My battery drain appeared to be worse when it was installed than when it wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    the "trick"
    the "battery bug"
    "battery graph"
    "turn everything off"
    "3G"

did i miss any? hec, even i'm not complaining anymore but this thread has turned almost comical.

yes, still in possession of mine as i have come to an understanding that a 1100ma battery can only do so much given the Treo's power consumption needs.

it's ok.
    I just read thru every page in this topic in search of an a solution to my battery problems and found it enormously helpful with the exception of 1 poster- oalvarez. Unless you have something useful to contribute to the discussion then please spare us the holier-than-thou commentary or disingenious well-wishing. It's just annoying. Your dismissive remarks are not helpful and I'd ask you to please zip it.

Now to the work at hand. After about 2 weeks of growing frustration with the battery, I returned mine yesterday to CNG. I had already exchanged my 1st 680 that was having reset issues (that I later figured out were 3rd party software problems). They gave me a new-ish one from someone else's returned 680 and it did improve my usage quite a bit immediately. However, I am seeing a marked drop-off already today with little usage. I am watching it drain and will try what 'tricks' I haven't already done to get it going better.

That said, having read all the postings and having used the Treo since the 180 (and various Palms long before that), I believe, er, um- firmly? that this is a firmware issue. Palm has pulled this kind of stuff many times before and will likely take their sweet time to fix it. Remember the loud buzz on the early 650's? The lack of volume? I could go on but there have been many (ah, the memories...). Some were hardware problems but most issues were fixed ultimately via firmware patches and I expect that this issue is significant enough that it will be fixed the same way.

I just wish, as many have stated, that we weren't all beta-testing a product that is already on the market for Palm or, if we are, then they would engage us in a constructive dialogue and use this invaluable feedback on their product as an acknowledged resource. We all hope they are lurking here, but how do we know? Just think how much hay various vendors get from being in contact with us via these boards! Marc from Chatter, David from Seidio, Bob from MobileAlarms, etc., have all gotten a great deal of respect for having direct contact via TC and incorporating our feedback into their products. So come on Palm! Read it!

Regardless, besides venting, I really wanted to say thank you to all who have taken the time to try and figure this out. I learned a lot in reading it through. It really has been tremendously helpful, even when confusing or conflicting!

Happy New Year to one and all, and I mean that!
    Last edited by Genetic Jack; 12/30/2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: unfinished sentence
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    OS X 10.4.9, Missing Sync 5.2
    WHAT?

I laughed after reading oalvarez's comment BECAUSE IT's TRUE... the tricks and tips and voodoo we are all trying to stretch our battery's life?

It is comical... and it is what it is (until seidio's slim battery substitute...

Though something just gnaws at me: WHy, oh WHY does it charge so quickly? As if... as if, it's to compensate for how quickly the battery drains? o_O
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    yes, still in possession of mine as i have come to an understanding that a 1100ma battery can only do so much given the Treo's power consumption needs.

it's ok.
    Actually, it's not ok. If a company sells a product and advertises specifications for that product, they had well better be able to meet those specs. If they advertise 300 hours standby, they'd better be able to prove it, otherwise they are guilty of false advertising and fraud. It they say an 1100mah battery will do that, then it had better be able to do it, power consumption be . If there are software issues that are causing problems, then they should be fixed. But to say that it is ok to expect this type of performance from an 1100mah battery given the power consumption of the Treo is crazy. Would you buy a Mustang if they put an engine from a Hyundai it? I don't think so. People who buy this phone are more than casual phone users, and are expecting high end performance from a phone/PDA that they are paying high end price for. To put a below average performing battery in it is not acceptable. So the only conclusion is that there is a problem with the firmware.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    yes, but based on what? How are you determining standby time?

Companies determine standby time by a very week formula. All companies do. I have a BT Headset that states 10 days standby. But it I only get 6 days standby. The only way to get 10 days standby is to not have it actively paired.

I have a multiple nokia cells that state 200 or 300 hrs standby. I get 5 or 6days. and thats with no use.

Same with my Blackberry. Which only lasts >3 days if I turn off the Radio.

I always assume 50% of what is stated for standby time. Now, that's not to say there isn't an excessive drain issue. There is, under certain conditions. And I'm sure that Palm will release a firmware fix once it's been narrowed down.

If I recall, back in the V/Vx days, standby time was determined as 20 minutes of use per day as average use. Seriously how realistic is that.

Who knows what the cause of the glitch is? a part change in final manufacturing? A last minute driver change? It should have been caught, but Palm is certainly not the first company to rush a product to market to meet demand. Nokia and Motorola have done it also.

And they do put an engine of a Hyundai in the Mustang. That's the entry level unit, and people buy it, because the way to be seen in the car, but can't afford V8 and options.
    last night my 680 ran out of juice...charged it this morning and after a full charge (green light) my 680 has had 99% battery for almost 3 hours. not sure if it was the full drain that helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    Well just got my arctic sweet! Not sure what to expect with the battery issue...charged it fully and left it overnight w/Phone, beam and blutooth off, using kblights
    The battery on my 680 lasts longer when KB LightsOff is not installed.
    had on butler 3.97, volumecare,agendus 10, ptunes 4 (play a few tunes) - a one minuet speakerphone call
    As opposed to a one waltz speakerphone call?
    , and did a bit of solitaire and general "new phone new treonaut" syndrome - dropped 10% overnight from 97-87%..is that bad?![/QUOTE]
    How long was your "overnight"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordol View Post
    The battery on my 680 lasts longer when KB LightsOff is not installed.
    You sure, or just "think so"? I'd hate to lose KBLightsOff, as the keyboard lights bug me, especially at night.
    I think this is again a situation where there is no baseline... the "big drain" may be caused by lots of things, but not by KBLightsOff all by itself. I have it installed... and enabled... and am (currently!!!) experiencing terrific battery life -- I lost 4% from when I checked last night to the first time I used it this morning, 8.5 hours later.

I am staying away from the camera. No, I'm not sure it is the cause, but I'm not willing to risk being banished from battery nirvana just for a few crappy VGA-caliber photos.
    I'm now getting great battery life with consistancy. Unless I use my Treo a heavy amount (more than a couple hours of solid use each day), I'm easily getting 2 full days of use out of the battery. If I have a day of very light use, I can even get a 3rd day on a single charge if need be.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I also don't think it's just the camera. My battery went from 50% to below minimum turn on overnight. I only had the phone on and no other apps. I purposely did not turn the camera on. From what I could tell I received a text message overnight. But that was it.

So I'm wondering if there is a sleep issue that occurs after certain events.
    I've had times on my 650 where it'd obviously get warm and drain battery, and a soft reset would stop it.. Never happens enough for me to figure out what causes it.

Only other big drain I ever had with the 650 is when I ran background apps + BatteryGraph. Way too much on and off activity.

Just past experience... I'm hoping you guys nail this battery thing for me so when I get my 680 in a few weeks I won't have any trouble.. Keep up the good work ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    yes, but based on what? How are you determining standby time?

Companies determine standby time by a very week formula. All companies do. I have a BT Headset that states 10 days standby. But it I only get 6 days standby. The only way to get 10 days standby is to not have it actively paired.

Palm's published spec is 300 hours standby. I would be happy with 1/2 that. Currently I am getting about 5% of that. I would be happy with 150 hours of standby, as I am sure most of us would.

Well, I took the plunge and committed to the 680. I had posted my 650 on Craigslist about 10 days ago and didn't get any takers until today. The prices for used 650s is going way down with everyone switching to the newer phones. But someone was willing to pay my price so now I'm committed to the 680 for better or worse. Maybe I should be committed.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You sure, or just "think so"? I'd hate to lose KBLightsOff, as the keyboard lights bug me, especially at night.
    Once I got my battery life to something halfway decent, I (re)installed KB LightsOff and noticed my battery drain increase significantly. KB LightsOff was the only change to the system. Not even turning on the BT radio has that much effect.

But granted, it's still only a sample of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic Jack View Post
    I just read thru every page in this topic in search of an a solution to my battery problems and found it enormously helpful with the exception of 1 poster- oalvarez. Unless you have something useful to contribute to the discussion then please spare us the holier-than-thou commentary or disingenious well-wishing. It's just annoying. Your dismissive remarks are not helpful and I'd ask you to please zip it.
    Genetic Jack saves the day!

puhlease. you waited til the 25,000 view to post this garbage? where have you been pal?

zip it yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Actually, it's not ok.

yes, my battery life is just that "ok."

i can say that and i'm sure it's just "ok" with many others. nothing great, nothing special, not even good. it's just "ok."

heavens.
    My 680 has been doing very nicely lately with respect to battery life. I went into the new years eve with about 60% battery and even snapped some pics at a friends house.

I went to sleep last night and neglected to put the phone on the charger. This morning the battery was at 20% and the 680 was still ticking away.

An hour or so on the charger and I'm back to 100% and ready for another day (and year).