Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    Well the camera drain theory may have some credibility.

Last night, I did the battery reset and had the phone charged to 99%. Over the next four hours I intentionally surfed the web for a few minutes, checked my email and made a call every hour. At the end of the period I was down to 93%.

I then turned on the camera, took a picture and set the phone down. No activity whatsoever on my part. This morning when I picked up the phone (some 8 hours later) my battery was down to 75%.

Before using the camera, my battery drain averaged about 1.5% an hour with moderate use. After using the camera, my battery drain averaged 2.25% with no use at all.

Once I get the battery back to 99% I'm going to try this again with equal time for each condition and equal use. If last night was any indication, I would imagine the battery drain after the camera is used will only increase.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordol View Post
    I can refute this, is that good enough?

I don't use the camera, except to play around with. The "battery drain" issue happens regardless of the use or not of the camera. And my 680 is an unlocked one, direct from Palm, with the multilingual options at initial startup.
    You can only refute if you've done the battery reset trick, NOT invoked the camera since you reset and you are still experiencing problems, or you've never, ever invoked the Camera application. Otherwise it could still be the camera application that is the culprit.
    Last edited by ediamond; 12/27/2006 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typos
    To Gordol: I let the battery drain completly...then charged for about 15-20 mins then did the trick.

Update: my 680 after 38h of light to mod usage was at 35%! after the trick...thats remarkable improvement.

This morning I pulled of the charger at 8:00am and now 11:25am with light usage the meter reads 99%. Before the trick it would drop to 97% one minute after pulling of the charger.

Regarding the camera I really doubt that theory...I used the camera yesterday and saw now faster draining of the battery.
    I am at a solid 3 percent an hour, with no use at all. I haven't used the camera and have tried every reset trick out there. I am guessing this is as good as it gets for my phone.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hi All!
    I used the "search this thread" function for "Battery Reset", trying to find the actual "instructions" on how to properly perform this. No Luck. This morning, with a full charge and still plugged in, I took the battery out and then put it back in after 3 minutes. My LED went from green to red. I watched it for a few minutes, still red. Did I do the reset right? And perhaps I should have watched the LED longer to see it go green again? It's frustrating to own such a beautiful phone with this terrible problem. I think that all the great people here will get it figured out. Thanks! Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadget Momma View Post
    Has anyone else noticed (and figured out how to fix) a drop immediately after taking it off the charger?

Mine regularly drops to between 93-99% a second or two after I unplug the charger, even though the light is green, and it says 100% while plugged in.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? I've had it for about 3 weeks now. I'd say it usually drops to between 93-97%, but a time or two it's only dropped to 99%. It may be dropping more to the 95-97% in the last week or so, haven't mentally made the note to know for sure, but still doesn't seem right.

It's almost dead now (22% last time I checked), so will probably be dead (or nearly so) by bed time tonight. Will do the "battery reset thing" and see what happens in the morning.

Do I need to contact Palm? HELP!!!!
    I figured out something with regard to this. When I charge the Treo and then remove it from the charger within an hour of the light turning green, it always shows 99% at that point. But if I charge it overnight and let it sit on the charger for 7 or 8 hours, then it usually shows 93-96% when I remove it from the charger. It appears it is getting "overcharged". On those days when it is overcharged, I get worse battery life.
    Mine ALWAYS shows 100% if I leave it on the charger long enough (overnight). As soon as I remove it, it ALWAYS drops to 99% in a microsecond. To go from 99 to 100 sometimes takes quite a while, but if you check the power WHILE ON THE CHARGER, I'd be surprised if it didn't reach 100 eventually. Off the charger it drops to 99. On the other hand, it stayed on 99% for the first two hours today with light use.
    At 11:30 am today I decided to try to drain the device so I could do another reset. I started the mp3 player. At 5:30 I am at 12% and the MP3 player finally stopped playing due to low battery, I guess they set so you can't drain the battery completelyt and be left without a phone.

But that is 6 hours of MP3 playback, with the phone on, no calls were made in or out though, and I only checked the phone once an hour to record the drain. It was about 12-14% per hour. But not bad for an MP3 player/Phone constantly playing.

Now I can do the reset trick and see what I get...
    Ok... second go at the "camera test".

Started out this morning after a battery reset with the battery at 99%. For a four hour period, I used the phone once, the web once, and checked my email once during each hour. At the end of the four hour period my batter was down to 95% or 1% per hour.

I then took two pictures with the camera and over the next four hours, repeated the usage pattern. At the end of the second four hour period my battery was down to 84% at a rate of 2.5% per hour.

I've got to think the camera theory may have some credibility. Does anyone out there have a 680 model without a camera? If so, how's your battery life?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Ok... second go at the "camera test".

Started out this morning after a battery reset with the battery at 99%. For a four hour period, I used the phone once, the web once, and checked my email once during each hour. At the end of the four hour period my batter was down to 95% or 1% per hour.

I then took two pictures with the camera and over the next four hours, repeated the usage pattern. At the end of the second four hour period my battery was down to 84% at a rate of 2.5% per hour.

I've got to think the camera theory may have some credibility. Does anyone out there have a 680 model without a camera? If so, how's your battery life?
    Coppertop,

Another approach to your method to help lend additional credence would be to test the camera right off from the full charge and then check the rate of discharge.

Coppertop, FYI, I'm originally from B'ham, graduated from Ramsay High School a few years back .
    Last edited by wcarr3; 12/27/2006 at 06:49 PM.
    I tried the battery reset thing (charged to 100%, removed battery, waited 2 mins and put battery back in) phone has been off charger for 12h 40mins and Time on is 2:18:07 and still at 65% battery... mimimal phone calls today and occasional emails. Things are much better after the battery reset.
    I think the battery reset thing is great if you aren't running any apps in the background. So basically for real world use...... It doesn't work!!!
    I got my 680 almost a month ago, and have performed the battery reset probably 2 1/2 weeks ago, and my battery has been getting better. It was 100% when I took it off the charger this morning about 8:30am, and now at 9:35pm, it is down to 24%. This is with checking my email several times via snapper, LOTS of internet browsing, and logging into toccer several times. I certainly have no complaints. Its getting better, and putting it on the charger every night isn't so much of a hassle as to warrent returning my lovely copper beauty.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    c'mon guys/gals.....please! lets all get a grip. this is really becoming nonsense.

there should not be any tricks, spells, or voodoo magic to perform. hey, i own one too and would love it to work as it should but at the end of the day it's a 1100ma battery faced with some funky firmware/software issue.

lets get a grip people!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    c'mon guys/gals.....please! lets all get a grip. this is really becoming nonsense.

there should not be any tricks, spells, or voodoo magic to perform. hey, i own one too and would love it to work as it should but at the end of the day it's a 1100ma battery faced with some funky firmware/software issue.

lets get a grip people!
    yeah true on both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by babydol View Post
    I got my 680 almost a month ago, and have performed the battery reset probably 2 1/2 weeks ago, and my battery has been getting better. It was 100% when I took it off the charger this morning about 8:30am, and now at 9:35pm, it is down to 24%. This is with checking my email several times via snapper, LOTS of internet browsing, and logging into toccer several times. I certainly have no complaints. Its getting better, and putting it on the charger every night isn't so much of a hassle as to warrent returning my lovely copper beauty.
    Snapper is not a back ground app BTW. Chatter is.
    For arguements sake....

Let's say the camera is the culprit. Would the "battery reset" shut it down? If so, that may explain the difference in battery performance afterwards.

Still, I wonder if anyone with a 680 without a camera is having these fluctuations. There's gotta be some out there. Cingular sold out of them last week.
    i got my treo on dec 26, and i charged it til it was full. i played with it a bit so when i went to bed at around 1230 am, the battery level was 70%, and to my surprise, when i woke up around 830 am, it was down to 23%! what the?! i had bt off, beam off, not connected to the internet, no email settings yet, and only 1 person texted me throughout the night. so what the heck happened to the battery?!

that afternoon, i charged it til it was full, transferred contacts from my old SE phone, did hot sync, calls, played a bit of bejewelled, used BT alot and surprisingly, it lasted way longer than it did overnight.

I tried the "trick" (charge, remove battery, then back again, then charge til the LED is green) last night. when i woke up, i removed the charger, the LED is green, but the battery usage is 94%. why is it 94%? isnt it supposed to be 100% since the LED is green? BUT i think it worked because ive playing with my phone all afternoon, used BT heavily to transfer files, etc. and i didnt need to charge it at all til 6 pm. so its not bad i guess as compared to my 1st experience with the battery. although i will be very much happy if i didnt have to charge everynight.

btw, im a newbie with Palm. coming from SE and Nokia, im really worried about the battery level. im really happy with the fone, except with the keyboard lights flickering ever since i dimmed the brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    For arguements sake....

Let's say the camera is the culprit. Would the "battery reset" shut it down?
    Yes, it appears that it does. Right now I'm getting insanely great battery performance -- drain of just over 1% per hour!!

This happened after I hard reset then selectively restored my apps from backups in phases. I'm pretty much back to full software load and the battery meter is just inching down ever so slowly. It is a miracle.

I also have not used my camera. More than that, I've used ROMHide to hide the camera icon to lessen the chance I'll launch it accidentally. I'm going to try to nurse this battery along in it's current behaviour as long as I possibly can!!

The problem with all this pseudo-information is that there is likely several independent factors at work here ... camera bug? ... battery conditioning? ... user error? ... who knows?? We're all reporting results with no true baseline, so it's no wonder we're all confused.

Of course, in the total, universal, mind-boggling black-as-night absence of any information or guidance from the manufacturer, what else can we do?
    Ignore this if it has already been covered. But I've just pulled another insomniac moment. And before trying to go to sleep I had turned off the Phone radio, unplugged the device from the charger (LED was green) and turned off the screen.

Now I do have a couple wake up alarms scheduled to go off daily but it isn't time for them yet.

I just heard my device wake and shut down! ( I have techsounds sci-fi installed) Waking the screen to maybe catch the program culprit I find my Device Lock screen displayed! Could the timer for this lock out be running in the background and be contributing to the battery drain?

I am also curious about the posts regarding camers usage. Is this pertaining to actual camera usage or just viewing the media files? I did notice there is considerable lag between taking a photo and being offered the ability to do something with it. So much time in fact I often think the device has locked up!

Well, maybe this third Treo 680 coming in tomorrow won't have ANY issues at all! *think good thoughts* *think good thoughts**think good thoughts*
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Forge...

When I did the camera test, I turned on the camera, took two pictures and turned it off. I noticed the lag time between pushing the "shutter" button and seeing the image taken. I just assumed it was processing time. My guess is that simply turning on the camera can booger things up.