Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    I'm not sure if it's the SIM card (disclaimer: NOT a scientific study, try this at home for yourself, etc.), but last night, with a 3G SIM card in my 680 and after a full charge, I took it off the charger and, of course, my 680 registered 99% (why it never says 100% right off the charger, I'll never know).

I have BatteryGraph installed --- radio OFF --- after sitting on my nightstand overnight, I turned it on and it still showed 99%. This is a big improvement when, before replacing the SIM, I could expect a 10-15% loss of juice overnight while sitting on my nightstand doing absolutely nothing.

Also, BatteryGraph shows only 13 events in the database (most of those me turning the phone on and off, I hope). Maybe listing all of my apps I have installed will help? I have lots of stuff crammed on there, but here goes:

4cast (great program, especially if you want to get disconnected because it can do it for you instead of going into Prefs, etc.)
    AckAck Attack, Agents Z and Z2, Aggression, Aldon, AutoBase, BatteryGraph, BDicty, Bejeweled, Bike or Die, BlackJack, CallRec, Card Export, Checkbook, ChopRescue, Cleanup, Darts Deluxe, Dartz, DateBk6, DevilHouse, DigDug, Docs2Go, eReader, ezReset, F1Sprint, FileZ, Galaga, GrandSlam, Hearts, Texas Hold'em, Island Hopper, Jetman, Joust, KBLightsOff, LJP, MDesailly, MHeroes, Monopoly, netClock, NotePad, PacDude, Par 3 Golf, Payoff Plus, PilotMines, Planet Lander, PowerRUN, pTunes, Ringo, Resco Backup, Mark My Scriptures, Scud Attack, Snorgg, Snow Bob, Solitaire, Space Trader, Spy Hunter, Strategic Commander, TCPMP, TealScript, TimeCopy, TimeWhiz, Undupe, Uninstall, Volleyball, VolumeCare, Warefare Inc, WPM, Yahdice, and (whew!) YourCall. (I like games, what can I say).

I suppose the good news is that, with SO MANY programs on my 680, nothing on this list seems to be drawing power when my 680 is off. I hope this information helps someone. I am encouraged enough after using the 3G SIM card that I may just keep this little 680 after all.
    I didnt read this whole threat, so be kind if this was mentioned before. Users in germany report a loss of 1 per cent of battery power (gsm active) with no additional programs installed. BT and IR off.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    hey, perhaps the "trick" really did work for you. want to make a lot of money? put your device up on ebay. why? i think it's one of the only 680's out there that works. actually, i think i read a thread that mentioned the user getting 2 full days out of his/her device and still having 75% left so maybe it's not the only one. enjoy that thing!

Happy Holidays
    Just to round off this fantastic battery cycle tour I've been on: I passed 100h this morning and still having 15% left. Again, for the forth night in a row it only dropped 1% during night (with phone off)...

If it stays like this, I'm one happy user...

// Egholm
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It's certainly a bummer for those who've tried everything. For the record, I'm on about week three (?) and overnight with just the radio on, the phone is at 99% capacity right now. Previously, it would completely drain overnight.

No tricks, workarounds, radio-off voodoo. Just plain old waiting.

Happy Holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    It's certainly a bummer for those who've tried everything. For the record, I'm on about week three (?) and overnight with just the radio on, the phone is at 99% capacity right now. Previously, it would completely drain overnight.

No tricks, workarounds, radio-off voodoo. Just plain old waiting.

Happy Holidays.
    Hi Iomatic,
    Do you mean you also use a 3G SIM card? or you use 2G SIM card and the problem solved by itself without doing anything after 3 weeks?
    I am thinking if required to get a 3G SIM card.
    Thanks and happy holiday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Egholm View Post
    Bri Guy, thanks!

IvHs:

You write "300-400 times more data base entires on the 680", if some app. is able to count this, some app. may also tell you who and what these entries are about?!
    I got that information from the Status section of Battery Graph. I don't know of any program that would track what the apps are doing.

Last edited by ivhs72; 12/25/2006 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You never answered me as to what applications you have installed in the background on the phone.. If you have something which wakes up to do some work, it's going to show up in Battery Graph AND dramatically decrease your battery life because Battery Graph has to do work each time the Palm turns on and back off.
    I have no programs in the running in the background. The only programs installed outside of what comes with the phone are MobiPocket, eReader, Warfare Inc, and Battery Graph. Nothing else.

Ok, I'll bite on the 3G sim card theory. How do I know if I have a 3G card or not. Does it say on the card? I know that they gave me a new sim when I got this phone, but I wouldn't know enough to have asked for a certain type of card then...

I'd love to get the battery life Iomatic is getting!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Ok, I'll bite on the 3G sim card theory. How do I know if I have a 3G card or not. Does it say on the card? I know that they gave me a new sim when I got this phone, but I wouldn't know enough to have asked for a certain type of card then...

I'd love to get the battery life Iomatic is getting!!
    My new SIM card is a Cingular card with "3G" in a ball of flame in the upper right corner. I bought my unlocked 680 from Palm and originally put my older SIM card in it. I, too, was suffering from poor battery performance. I went into Cingular and activated another line a few days ago, received a new 3G SIM card, and my battery performance has improved significantly.

So, unless I'm experiencing a coincidental benefit of battery conditioning, I'm guessing that the new SIM card has something (maybe everything) to do with the 680 battery performance. For instance, after a full charge last night, I let the phone sit overnight, radio off, and woke up with 99%. I've had the radio on today, a couple calls, a couple text messages, Email, and I'm at 93% after at least 8 hours. Not too shabby. I hope this information is helpful to all of those suffering from what shall be known as "The Great 680 Battery Mystery."
    I am experiencing some interesting results the past few days that are raising my eyebrows.

Since I still have both 680s in my hot little hands, thought what the heck, let's runs some tests. So configured both 680's (and my 650) the same way. Stock out of the box programs with only the following 3rd party apps installed: MobiPocket reader, Palm eReader, Warfare Inc, Ringo Pro, and BatteryGraph. Only one of the 680's has a SIM card in it, I need to have one functional phone since I'm on call this weekend.

I charged up all of the phones and have been watching them occassionally for the past two days. One thing I did is after the lights went green on the phone, I took them off the charger, waited a couple of minutes, and then plugged them in again. It took another 20-30 minutes for the light to go green again. Maybe that has something to do with conditioning the batteries? The first thing I am noticing is that the battery drain on the 680s has remarkably decreased, and the number of events in the DB have gone down drastically. It doesn't seem to matter if the SIM card is in the phone or not. They are both showing about the same drain rate as the 650 is showing. I have made a couple of calls using the one with the SIM card in, as well as checking email. I have used all three to do some reading, as well as playing Warefare Inc. I am somewhat confused and perplexed right now. Maybe the longer I have charged these units, the better they respond. Color me bamboozled for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    My new SIM card is a Cingular card with "3G" in a ball of flame in the upper right corner. I bought my unlocked 680 from Palm and originally put my older SIM card in it. I, too, was suffering from poor battery performance. I went into Cingular and activated another line a few days ago, received a new 3G SIM card, and my battery performance has improved significantly.

So, unless I'm experiencing a coincidental benefit of battery conditioning, I'm guessing that the new SIM card has something (maybe everything) to do with the 680 battery performance. For instance, after a full charge last night, I let the phone sit overnight, radio off, and woke up with 99%. I've had the radio on today, a couple calls, a couple text messages, Email, and I'm at 93% after at least 8 hours. Not too shabby. I hope this information is helpful to all of those suffering from what shall be known as "The Great 680 Battery Mystery."
    Thanks Bri Guy^_^!
    Looks like 3G SIM card is a complete solution for Treo 680 battery problem!
    I guess maybe Palm QA guys used their 3G SIM card for testing and came out the spec 4hr talk/300hr stdby.
    I have confirmed a 3G sim in my phone. And while I'm still getting decent life out of my battery, nothing like a couple have posted here.

Maybe I'll go to my Cingular rep tomorrow and *****, to see what they say!?!
    BTW, how do you know if you have a 3G card or not?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    OK, between XMas brunch, kids with the new Wii, renting videos for the wife... I think I must have an older SIM. It's the "64K smart chip" from a while back. No flaming eyeball, hairball, what-have-you.

As one other poster has said before, perhaps just give it time.
    Quote Originally Posted by joco View Post
    BTW, how do you know if you have a 3G card or not?
    I opened up the phone and pulled the card out. Saw the "fireball 3G" logo thing.

While I did this, it was plugged in. So I have now done my 2nd battery reset. Been off the charger now for 2hours, still at 97%.

My wifes 680 also has the 3G, and we did her first battery reset two days ago, and yesterday it got charged with the car charger for two hours and has now been off that charger for just over 20 hours and is still at 78%.

Usage has been low for us both. I will add that I used the camera on mine a bunch on Christmas day, that killed the battery pretty quick! I did not make my three days of light use prediction because of that!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I think its carrier dependent, not just 3g specific.

Here in Singapore, all networks are 3G.

I was on the first network, batt life SUCKED!!! then i switched cards, and im doing like 48 hours on, still 50% left!!

Both sim cards are 3g. I am pretty sure it is SIM dependent...
    The "trick" worked for me. i was getting 12h of light usage a day for 10 days since i got my 680. Overnight the battery drained completly even with the phone off.
    Yesterday I tried the trick and now after 18 hours I'm at 70% battery it would have been way dead by now before the trick.

I have a cingular 680...with 64k SIM not the 3G one so I think it has nothing to do with that. I hope my phone continues to perform like this. Good luck to everyone having this issues.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I drained my battery and then fully charged it this past weekend, and I noticed a definite improvement in the battery life.
    Is there a way to see what apps are running in the background? I'm wondering if something is running while the screen is blank. A reset would kill any running processes, and that could make it seem like we are getting better battery performance, until that killer app is fired up again...
    Don't think that it shows what is running, but does show that there is activity.

http://palm.jeroenwitteman.com/BatteryGraph/index.php
    Attached Images Attached Images