Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio is pleased to release the 2400 mah extended battery for Treo 680.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=598

Coming soon

Treo 680 crystal case

Treo 680 rubberized case

Treo 680 skin

Treo 680 skin/crystal case holster

Seidio Marketing Team
    (An upfront aside: Battery reset trick really hasn't helped me.)

I was excited to see the extended life battery - but not the extended size of the back cover. As much as the battery life is a big issue for me - if the Treo with the battery won't fit into standard cases/skins and it will be extra heavy - I'll pass for now.

I think my "workaround"/temporary solution will be to invest in eBay chargers (read as "bargain priced") to add to my original that sits on the nightstand: one for work, a cradle for my desk at home, a car charger and an emergency charger (runs off alkaline batteries.) All total they'll still be cheaper than a single new battery. If the past is any guide - I'll have to buy a fresh battery in a few months as this one becomes weaker and weaker (no one seems to be thinking about this yet.) Then my current battery will become the backup - and the new one will be the primary.

Semi-related question:
    I see 1800mh batteries on eBay sold for 650 AND 680. How can a battery that fits the 650 fit into the 680? Has anyone tried this?

-Mark
    Last edited by reMarkable; 12/24/2006 at 01:38 AM. Reason: grammar improvements
    Quote Originally Posted by sindu View Post
    'The foregin *****' are just doing their job as told by Palm... I don't think it is nice to call them *****... you should just call Palm ***** by producing something that drain the battery so fast..
    I deal with companies every day who have outsourced their technical support services to India. I have encountered nothing but poor service on every level, and it has had an impact on the quality of service that I have recieved from those companies. I have been in the electronics field for almost 35 years, and have been in the diagnostic imaging repair field for 25 of those years. Recently, one of them made a concession to the United States, and will not longer route technical support assistance through India, but back through their factory in the United States. For the rest of the world, they still route their calls through India. I won't say who it is, but they do bring good things to life. I am not shooting from the hip on this, I speak from in the trench experience on this subject. BTW, when I called Palm to complain about this problem, the only solution I was given was to "send my phone in for repair, that it was defective". So much for complaining to Palm. But this is off topic for this thread, so I'll just let it go.
    Last edited by ivhs72; 12/24/2006 at 01:47 AM.
    Semi-related question:
    I see 1800mh batteries on eBay sold for 650 AND 680. How can a battery that fits the 650 fit into the 680? Has anyone tried this?
    Yes, as a matter of fact I have. and it fits well, but the battery cover of course does not. WIth the case I use from "Platinum skins" the battery is held in - but still the interanl workings of the phonre are "exposed" to the internals of the case.

I have had to use this battery from the 650 a couple times when the 68 battery ran out of power. I persoanlly think it sux that I have ot carry around a spare battery to gdt through a normal workday.

If I was goiung ona weekend trip or an extended stay somewhere, I could understand carrying an extra battery - but to get through a normal 8 to 12 hour workday? Pshaw!

Ineverhad to with the 650!

Sometimes I feel like it is just one more kick in the teeth from a large corporation to the little guy!

Who cares? We got YOUR money here have another phone try that one - oh gee your warranty expired - guess you'll just have to fork over another lump of cash!

HAH!

I am seriously considering demanding a refund and going back to a "dumb" phone and my Palm PDA until they ( Cingular and PAlm) can offer a trully usable device!

After being patient through 6 devices with much less than stellar or even as advertised performance, I feel I have given Palm and Cingular more than enough chances to come through on their end.

My Nokia phone which has been out of service( off Cingular's network) and packed away for more than a month STILL has enough battery power to atleast power up and connect to the network!

What good is a high resolution screen and internet connectivity if I cannot get a signal nor do I have enough battery power to utilize the screen OR the connection?
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I'm beginning to think that Palm's time estimations are true !! I know, I know, it sounds crazy.
    But wrt the 4 hours of talktime Andrew at Treonauts made a 4 hour phonecall and still had 33% left.
    And now after 21 days my battery is dramatically increasing it's performance:
    This morning I passed 72 hours and the battery still reads 30%. And this is with quite a lot text messages, Bejeweled games, PIM stuff, and some phone calls.
    Characteristic for the three nights that have passed, is that my 680 only dropped 1% during the nights, with the phone disabled. With such small drain I reckon I could reach the 300 hours of standby!
    Truth be told, I did the battery-reset-trick once before I began to see this behaviour!
    Another thing I have done differently for this entire charge-usage-round is that I have manually enabled the keyguard and manually powered off the screen each and everytime I have had the Treo powered down. (This was a funny idea I got after reading all the posts where people complained that they could see [using BatteryMeter or what's its name] that the device did not claim to be really idle when it should.) In the next charge-discharge-round I will not be doing this to see if it has anything to do with it...

Merry Christmas
    Thanks for the report on the 1800mh battery - definitely holding off on that. The way I've carried spare batteries for previous cell phones is in my work brief case. Nowadays the batteries aren't that big or clunky - although I agree it's ridiculous that this practice is "mandatory."

I also have an old LG flip phone - at this point it's a bit over 2 1/2 years old - that I charged up 100% before finishing with it permanently and turned it off. I've turned it on just a few times over the past couple of years - and even as of last week is 7/8th charged. I'm shocked it lasted 6 months like that. Granted it's really off when it's off - unlike a Palm - but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egholm View Post
    Another thing I have done differently for this entire charge-usage-round is that I have manually enabled the keyguard and manually powered off the screen each and everytime I have had the Treo powered down. (This was a funny idea I got after reading all the posts where people complained that they could see [using BatteryMeter or what's its name] that the device did not claim to be really idle when it should.) In the next charge-discharge-round I will not be doing this to see if it has anything to do with it...

Merry Christmas
    Comparing the cycles that are being seen on my 680 vs. my 650, there are many, many more on the 680 with the phones in the same configuration. By that I mean same 3rd party apps, same size SD card, phone on but not connected (HEY, it's a phone and I need to answer it, okay). I am seeing, in a 12 hour period about 300-400 times more data base entires on the 680 than the 650. That is on the STATUS page of the Battery Graph Monitor. I just looked at my 650 and after 36 hours with Battery Monitor installed, it shows only 61 database entries. There is just something that is not right in the 680, be it operating system, design flaw, something. It is time for Palm to step up to the plate, bite the bullet, and admit it.

I'm beginning to think that Palm's time estimations are true !! I know, I know, it sounds crazy.
    But wrt the 4 hours of talktime Andrew at Treonauts made a 4 hour phonecall and still had 33% left.
    This morning I passed 72 hours and the battery still reads 30%. And this is with quite a lot text messages, Bejeweled games, PIM stuff, and some phone calls.
    Characteristic for the three nights that have passed, is that my 680 only dropped 1% during the nights, with the phone disabled. With such small drain I reckon I could reach the 300 hours of standby!
    Truth be told, I did the battery-reset-trick once before I began to see this behaviour!

Merry Christmas

Egholm, Merry Christmas to you as well.
    What kind of SIM card do you have in your 680? Is it a 3G SIM card? I'm just wondering if the SIM card has anything to do with battery drain.
    Bri Guy, thanks!
    It is indeed a 3G compatible simcard - both my wife and collegue have similar ones and both using them in UMTS phones...

IvHs: I totally agree that Palm has a fw-problem, I'm just to figure out how to get the most of my battery until they come out with a solution.
    However, I'm sure they have indeed measured 300h standby, though. But this was most probably before someone sneaked in a stupid-idle-bug...

You write "300-400 times more data base entires on the 680", if some app. is able to count this, some app. may also tell you who and what these entries are about?!

Merry Christmas
    hey, perhaps the "trick" really did work for you. want to make a lot of money? put your device up on ebay. why? i think it's one of the only 680's out there that works. actually, i think i read a thread that mentioned the user getting 2 full days out of his/her device and still having 75% left so maybe it's not the only one. enjoy that thing!

Happy Holidays
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Comparing the cycles that are being seen on my 680 vs. my 650, there are many, many more on the 680 with the phones in the same configuration. By that I mean same 3rd party apps, same size SD card, phone on but not connected (HEY, it's a phone and I need to answer it, okay). I am seeing, in a 12 hour period about 300-400 times more data base entires on the 680 than the 650. That is on the STATUS page of the Battery Graph Monitor. I just looked at my 650 and after 36 hours with Battery Monitor installed, it shows only 61 database entries. There is just something that is not right in the 680, be it operating system, design flaw, something. It is time for Palm to step up to the plate, bite the bullet, and admit it.

You never answered me as to what applications you have installed in the background on the phone.. If you have something which wakes up to do some work, it's going to show up in Battery Graph AND dramatically decrease your battery life because Battery Graph has to do work each time the Palm turns on and back off.
    Many posters have suggested that the ONLY way to turn off your network is to take out the battery to force a reset. You can avoid doing this by going to Home/Prefs/Communication/Network/Disconnect. This has been true in previous Treos, as well.
    Hope this helps
    BillP
    I wanted to reiterate about the battery "trick". I charged my 680 to full, pulled out the battery while it was on the USB charger, waited a few minutes, then put the battery back in and left it on for an hour or so. I took my phone off the charger yesterday and forgot to plug it in last night, it is now at 73% charge remaining. That's fairly light usage, checking email every hour and a few brief calls. Normally it would have been dead by 8pm the same day.
    The battery "trick" I did was it was at a full charge, not a full drain, so maybe that's part of the problem with the trick not working. The average number of times it's been switched on is 444 and the average time between switch on and off is 1minute and 44 seconds. There is a log, but I have no idea how to read a palm.db file. Perhaps it contains the name of the program waking the 680?
    Handspring Visor>>Treo 180g>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>Treo 680
    What kind of SIM card do you have in your 680? Is it a 3G SIM card? I'm just wondering if the SIM card has anything to do with battery drain.
    I doubt it.
    When I was cingular upgraded me to the 680 after the problems with the 650 my 64K card was put in the 680.

When I went back to them because of phone self resets and battery drain - the rep there put in a new 3G card saying that these offered better reception.

Of course after dealing with umpteen reps through the past several months I have come to the conclusion that they are just collecting a paycheck - there aren't many that really KNOW much!

I have to wonder about a 3G sim card in a device NOT designed, nor compatible with 3G - but hey WTH do I know? I'm just a poor schlub consumer who forked out close to 500 buck for a high tech device that isn't much more than a cool looking paperweight at this point!

Yeah, I'm jaded! I've got a 500.00 400mhz device that I can only reliably play solitaire on when a pack of cards costs what - a buck?
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    48 hours after battery reset and full charge, and I'm down only 30% with light use. My battery was losing 60% between breakfast and lunch before. I don't work for Palm, I swear! Of course, my 650 would have been down about 5% by now...
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by wktaylor View Post
    I wanted to reiterate about the battery "trick". I charged my 680 to full, pulled out the battery while it was on the USB charger, waited a few minutes, then put the battery back in and left it on for an hour or so. I took my phone off the charger yesterday and forgot to plug it in last night, it is now at 73% charge remaining. That's fairly light usage, checking email every hour and a few brief calls. Normally it would have been dead by 8pm the same day.
    The battery "trick" I did was it was at a full charge, not a full drain, so maybe that's part of the problem with the trick not working. The average number of times it's been switched on is 444 and the average time between switch on and off is 1minute and 44 seconds. There is a log, but I have no idea how to read a palm.db file. Perhaps it contains the name of the program waking the 680?

we should refer to this "trick" as "trick v1.b" as the original reset trick at drain is commonly referred to as "trick v1.a".

i'm going to give v1.b a shot just for sh**ts and giggles.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This is a really bad problem! I have never seen so many people so concerned with the battery life on a phone...and it is actually a software or hardware problem!

I am doing another test today without batterygraph installed to see if it drops as much as it did yesterday. Dropping over 30% over the course of one day without any use, phone off, and nothing running at all, is quite simply not reliable for a mobile device.

On another note, I am using a Blackjack that is also known to have low battery life, but it is due to the 3g connection and not software/hardware alone. In fact, this is lasting me two days with heavy use, and I still had 30-40% battery life showing in the power applet after i turned off the 3g radio. This is great! This is similar to, maybe even better than, the Treo 650 was when I used it.

I will probably give up the Treo if there is no solution soon. If anyone here has more patience than I do then I will certainly love to sell it to you. No push email, bad battery, mediocre browser, and no multi-taking really are killing this for me. But it looks so good!
    Where can I get this battery graph app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    Since my phone ONLY lists "GPRS" as a connection, if I install Hi Launcher( which I use on my T3 and like) on the Treo 680 and tell it to disconnect from GPRS will that mean I won't get any Phone radio connection at all?
    The toggle I'm referring to is just the data connection.
    I already have the "Ask before connecting to internet" boxchecked in Network preferences. But even with this box cheked is the phone still trying to connect to the network in the background just not making me aware of it until I ask it to go to the internet? *( Which I cannot because I had the data plan turned off back when I had issues with reception on the 650)
    No. If you set it to prompt before making a data connection, then it will prompt before making a data connection.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Returning mine next week due to battery life. I've done everything multiple times and it never lasts/works.

I've been able to talk for 2h10m and the battery drops to 52%, so that's not a problem. It's using the device for multiple emails at 15m intervals all day, or for 50-100 texts a day or surfing for an hour or so. It's using it for it's intended purpose that it fails due to whatever is causing such horrible battery life.

I'll come back when I hear they've fixed this issue. Thanks to all the long-time Treo people who I've come to know and talked with.
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I haven't really put the 8525 through it's paces yet, but it is definitely a powerful PDA. I just got it yesterday and haven't invested any time in it yet, but I'll be happy to get back here and provide a brief report if anyone is interested.

The Cingular rep told me I had to upgrade my data plan by another $10/month, so that puts me at about $30/month for unlimited data. I'm assuming that's high-speed, but I'll try it out and see how "hi speed" it really is!
    Wow! All the Cingular folks tell me that data service is $40.00 for unlimited use. Of course if you're using a "Smarthphone" (as in a Windows Mobile Smartphone - 3125 e.g.) you can get unlimited data for $20.00.

I thought the Treo required the $40.00 unlimited PDA plan.
    David