Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    I'm on the fence. Not sure I want the extended back.
    I'm not on the fence. That looks absolutely horrible! I'm holding out for the "slim" alternative. Sure it won't be 2400 mAh, but it also won't make my 680 look like a freakin' Hindenburg.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Plug in the charger to the phone, pull the battery for a minute, put battery back in and let it charge to full.
    I don't know about you, but when I have my 680 plugged into a charger and take out the battery, it turns off! So how is that any different than if I do this w/o a charger connected? Hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by jandie View Post
    I've got my treo since the 4th of december and I still have an 8% drop/hour most times. sometimes I have less. But what's really strange in my case is that the treo still works a long time after it reached it's 0% limit. Yesterday I've called for an hour after my battery was at 0% and the phone still carried on. I've also already installed BatteryGraph and it says that I've turned my treo on and off 400 times yesterday which is way too much. BatteryGraph also shows that my low battery warning comes at 0.02 V and my critical battery warning at 0,00 V which is strange, because the treo is at 0% when my battery is at 3,96 V but it carries on till about 3,5 V. I've also done the battery trick but it hasn't really worked. What's the best battery level to do this trick at, when the battery is almost full, or when it's almost empty. And how long do I have to keep it to the charger then. Any other tricks to increase battery life, because the device is great, I just hate it's battery life.

Ian
    I have switched back to my 650, and installed Battery Graph on it. Very interesting. In the last 12 hours, I show only two indication that it was turned on or off, as compared to the a similiar time frame with the 680 where it was several hundred times. If you look at the graph on the bottom, I have two little red spikes. With the 680, there were so many it looked like a red bar. The battery life on the 650 after 12 hours of just sitting is 95% down from 99%. On the 680 it would have been down to the 50's or 60's.

This alone tells me there is something funny going on in the 680 that is causing it to either turn on or look to do something uncommanded, something that is causing a major drain on the battery. Is there any kind of program that monitors the actual OS performance, how long certain programs are running, etc.? That is probably the only way to really find out what is going on.

I would guess that everyone is getting different results with the different types of tricks to extend battery life because everyone is running different programs, 3rd party apps, and are using the phone differently. That is the only reason I can think why one fix works and another doesn't.

One question I would have about Battery Graph is the thresholds that they are setting. Why do they set the warnings at such a low voltage level? Battery uses depends on current not voltage. A battery can have the correct voltage and still be worthless if it doesn't have the current available. Just like a car battery, it won't start unless it has the current but can still read 12v. Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    I don't know about you, but when I have my 680 plugged into a charger and take out the battery, it turns off! So how is that any different than if I do this w/o a charger connected? Hmm...
    I have the same question but it was worth a shot. I don't know if it was just coincidence or not but I saw a change. It is not even close to what it should be but every little bit helps.
    how about we all talk about something else?

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    how about we all talk about something else?

I think that happens when people stop posting to a thread and no one starts a similar new thread. But this is hardly the busiest thread on TC by a long shot.
    I'm very sad.

My battery started off with the infamous 8% / hr drain. After applying various tricks (battery drains, hard resets, reset in cradle) I got it down to 1-2% per hour.

Now it's back to 8% again.

Very, very sad.
    Patrick, i have the cure:

re-apply the various "tricks" !

have a happy holiday
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I guess you must be Palm's target user.
    2 post on TC
    Coming from a Nokia 3120
    and ok with the Humpy.

Most of us have had quite a few smartphones and have come from a previous 650 or Treo models that have had better.. way better battery life.
    I respect your take on all of this. But, less than mediocrity is not ok with me and that is what I am trying to say.
    Just because the battery is "working" for you doesn't mean Palm did not mislead us about the battery life
    No doubt, I am the target user for this phone. But by no means am I new to Palm and the Palm OS. Started with the Palm Professional and am still using my Tungsten E2 while migrating to the Treo 680.

The specs on the Nokia 3120 battery life are very similar to the claims made for the 680, but I'm not sure if the nokia ever lived up to the claims either.

I mean, I never expected that the 3120 would stay charged to some extent for more than 5 days. Has any phone ever lived up to the claims of the manufacturer?? The claims of the 650 are the same number for standby time, but 2 more hours of talk time. How is that possible? Not saying it wasn't better, but those claims can't add up, can they?

I guess what I'd really like to know, is if we are all seeing the same type of results on the 680's battery, and are just expressing different expectations. Or if there really is a difference in the batteries from phone to phone.

Cuz with the type of phones out there these days, and with the power that some of them have in the small sizes some of them sport, how many days are possible for battery life?

I will also add, I never expect a company's claims to represent real life usage. That's what I'm doing here and at HF's. Looking for real life numbers.
    I think i live with this phone =)

I unplugged the phone at 7am. Moderate use (a bit of texting and some calls and some web-surfing) and I am at 70$ at 4:30pm.

BUT, i drained the battery twice, performed the battery reset twice...

It'll work for me, BUT TO those of you who really abuse and use your phones... I feel your pain.
    My T6350 sits here... and it's still at 90%+ ... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    correct. this is my take:

the 680 should suffice as a "weekend" type device. today is Saturday and a day off of work for me. this means almost zero work emails and only normal phone use coupled with a few texts and small amount of browsing. it has been off of the charger for 11 hours as i type and i have 50% battery remaining here at about 5pm. that means that i should be able to go into the evening with plenty of "phone" left until i retire for the day.

how does this performance differ from a work day?

by the 6-7th hour off the charger i will have the same 50% remaining with a few hours of work usage still remaining without having done nothing but receive data (emails/bloomberg msgs) and maybe a call or two.

what am i saying?

in my case, the 680 works as a weekend type phone but does not truly suffice for MY work purposes (if i were to keep it off the charger while at work). will it work if i keep it plugged in all of the time? sure, but that is not what i would expect to have to do as i don't have to do it with my Pearl nor my old Moto-Q.

nice device the 680 is but i don't think it's forte is handling a heavy workload with its current battery limitations.
    I started at 1030am, that is when it came off the charger. Its 622pm I am at 40%. But I also don't use push email on the weekend. I need a POS firmware upgrade and a Seidio slim extended battery.
    The 680 as a weekend device just won't work for me. I have to take call on the weekends for some equipment I maintain, and having to worry about a phone or where a charger is or what is my battery level is just not going to cut it. I am on call Christmas weekend, which adds a 3rd day. That is why I switched back to my 650 (which is only down to 90% after checking email several times, a couple of phone calls, and reading a book). On the 680, that would have put it at 50% or lower (that was what happened last weekend).

I really like the improvements over the 650, but until Palm gets the battery/phone issue sorted out, I'm staying away from it like the plague. As far as Battery Graph goes, I only show 29 events in the last 30 hours, compared with almost 2000 the last day I used the 680. That should say something to the engineers at Palm (if they are reading this). I'll mention it to them when I call for an RMA number for the phone, but most likely I'll wind up talking to some ***** in India who is reading from a script like I did the first couple of calls. Does anyone have any idea how to contact Palm support without going through those foriegn idiots?

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    'The foregin *****' are just doing their job as told by Palm... I don't think it is nice to call them *****... you should just call Palm ***** by producing something that drain the battery so fast..
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I've had my 680 a couple of weeks. The battery started out lousy and got worse, draining down 60% between breakfast and lunch with very light use. I did the battery reset after letting it drain down -- plug in to charger, remove battery for one minute, replace battery, charge to full -- and after coming off the charger at full, it's down 20% in 36 hours (again with light use, but still a very acceptable drain).

I think I'll keep it off the charger and see how long it takes to fully drain. It seems a step backward for Palm, this battery issue, but I carry mine in my front pocket, and I don't miss the mass, the bulk, or the antenna of my 650. Size- and function-wise, this is the Treo I've been wishing for since my 180; every improvement from here will be gravy.

But of course I'll bail in a NY minute if the Apple phone turns out to be any good!
    Brian
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I drained the Treo 680's battery and charged it back up. I did the battery reset as well. I felt as though the battery life was better after this. I was wrong apparently!! Very wrong...

Today I used my Blackjack all day for the first time. I did not use the Treo a single time. I pulled both phones off of the charger a little before 8am and the phone portion of the 680 was off. By 7pm this afternoon, with nothing running on the Treo, and no one touching it at all, the battery was at 77%. This is with the phone OFF! This is not a battery problem, just as others have said, it is a device problem, whether hardware or software. All I know is that I can rely on the Blackjack and I cannot count on the Treo.
    I haven't called Palm yet for an RMA # because I REALLY do want to LIKE this phone! I'm finding my 650 to be almost equivalent in stability (might be some 3rd party software problems, admittedly), and the 650 battery performance has been exceptional in comparison to the 680. But... I love the 680's form-factor and increased memory. I wonder if many of the posters here are simply not admitting that the 680 is a VERY luke-warm "upgrade" from the 650? The jury is still out... and many probably wouldn't admit it anyway.

Now for something more interesting... I picked up a Cingular 8525 and, with it, I received a new 3G SIM card. I decided to try this new SIM card in my 680 for a while because I've had a suspicion that maybe.... just maybe.... my SIM card was contributing to the quick battery drain (after all, how in the world could my 680 lose juice so quickly when everything including the radio is turned off??). I still have to do some testing, but it seems the power drain has at least slowed significantly with the 3G SIM card in my phone. I don't know for sure if there is truly a connection, but if I learn more, I'll post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I haven't called Palm yet for an RMA # because I REALLY do want to LIKE this phone! I'm finding my 650 to be almost equivalent in stability (might be some 3rd party software problems, admittedly), and the 650 battery performance has been exceptional in comparison to the 680. But... I love the 680's form-factor and increased memory. I wonder if many of the posters here are simply not admitting that the 680 is a VERY luke-warm "upgrade" from the 650? The jury is still out... and many probably wouldn't admit it anyway.

Now for something more interesting... I picked up a Cingular 8525 and, with it, I received a new 3G SIM card. I decided to try this new SIM card in my 680 for a while because I've had a suspicion that maybe.... just maybe.... my SIM card was contributing to the quick battery drain (after all, how in the world could my 680 lose juice so quickly when everything including the radio is turned off??). I still have to do some testing, but it seems the power drain has at least slowed significantly with the 3G SIM card in my phone. I don't know for sure if there is truly a connection, but if I learn more, I'll post it.
    So what do you think of the 8525? Have you tried the high speed data service? By the way, how much do you have to pay Cingular for unlimited data service?
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by defii View Post
    So what do you think of the 8525? Have you tried the high speed data service? By the way, how much do you have to pay Cingular for unlimited data service?
    I haven't really put the 8525 through it's paces yet, but it is definitely a powerful PDA. I just got it yesterday and haven't invested any time in it yet, but I'll be happy to get back here and provide a brief report if anyone is interested.

The Cingular rep told me I had to upgrade my data plan by another $10/month, so that puts me at about $30/month for unlimited data. I'm assuming that's high-speed, but I'll try it out and see how "hi speed" it really is!
    I am a new treo 680 owner. First time any treo. I was concerned with the battery from reading this thread about the 680 but went for it anyway. I experienced rapid decline from after originally charging the battery, the first day of use.
    My first day was 7am to 3pm and it was at 10%. Moderate use of phone, of course I was playing around with it and learning how it all works ...
    Second day- 7am- 5pm down to 10% again. Not too good.
    I came from a blackberry and would go for nearly 2 full days before charging.
    So I decided to do the battery reset thingy. I charged it all the way up. Got my green light. Removed the battery for 3 minutes, and put it back in.
    Funny thing was it then started charging it again and it said it was at 95%. It took about 2 hours for it to go green again.
    So today, off charger at 7am- it is now 10:30pm and it is at 70% battery. How is this possible?

Time will tell.

Maybe the battery is not getting enough ummmphh from the charger.