Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    as you know, i've decided to give the 680 another shot. received it yesterday and charged it overnight. it is an unlocked Palm device. the only 3rd party program running and installed is Goodlink.

-removed from charger at 4am
    -11:00am @ 50% battery
    -1,500 email/msg transmissions received
    -probably 25 min worth of backlight @ 3/4 brightness
    -no phone usage
    -5 min worth of browsing?
    -no bluetooth, no beam

so, 7 hours off the charger and Goodlink running almost constantly throughout the morning/day. for "comparative" purposes my Pearl is @ 80% and has received the same number of data transmissions (plus a few phone calls). all in all? what i was expecting. not great but not disastrous given its first charge (which is what is normal in my eyes and which should not require any voodoo science beyond that). if it could make it til 4pm-5pm that would be ideal in my eyes and will look to "use it more" tomorrow (haven't done much with it but receive data which is what is most important to me).

so far so good, i think.
    I don't know if it's the battery reset trick or just taking time to condition the battery but my battery is no performing at the same level as my 650 battery did.

I can go 2-3 days between charges now. Moderate to light use (a dozen calls, email, bejeweled, etc. daily).
    Is it just me, or is anyone else finding that they miss a lot of things about their 650?? I've conditioned, reconditioned, and re-reconditioned my battery, but the sucker still drains even when everything is off. I pulled my 650 out of the drawer where it has laid dormant for two weeks. Turned it on ... 99% battery. This 680 "upgrade" shouldn't leak juice like a rusty bucket --- and I'm disappointed that with all the little improvements (form factor, more memory, etc.), I still question my purchase. I love Palm OS, but Palm is really testing my resolve to stand by them. I'm going to call their tech support --- this 680 may be heading home to Palm and my 650 may be called back into service!
    i'm sure it's been posted somewhere but it is very interesting to see how quickly the battery charges. i put the 680 on the ac charger @ 50% battery and it's at 93% about 45min later.....if you interpolated that out to 0% it would take approx 1 1/2 hours to charge the battery fully. perhaps it takes longer to charge the battery at the lower levels (close to zero) which would negate my assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Yup, I had to send the phone back. My new firmware is MW01.50, Software TREO680-1.04-ROW. I have no idea what the original one was - never thought to look.

Dunc
    Those are the same specs as my pre-ordered unlocked 680 - most likely you will be getting the same thing you had originally.

Best of luck - I think this is a firm ware issue. In fact, I bet the battery life improvements from a "battery reset" are only partly from the battery control software getting better at knowing when the battery is fully charged...I'd bet the resets appear to help because they give you a "true" gprs network disconnec, so it looks like your battery is better, but really the phone just isn't burning through it from a "not really all the way off" network connection.
    Last edited by jsgreen; 12/21/2006 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    Those are the same specs as my pre-ordered unlocked 680 - most likely you will be getting the same thing you had originally.

Best of luck - I think this is a firm ware issue.
    I have no idea what i had - it's packaged up and sent off. There's no question this is a firmware issue - the replacement unit is no better with the battery life. All this talk about plugging in, disconnecting, depleting to 0%, charging for 1/2 an hour, waiving a dead chicken... Come on! Absolutely ridiculous, this should work out of the box as advertised - and it doesn't. I said it before, "I can't believe there isn't a class action suit yet."

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    In doing some web research I've come across different recommendations on whether lithiums need conditioning. A couple sites said doing two or three full discharge-recharge cycles is good for new lithiums. I did that, but don't know if that contributed to the improvement or not.
    It probably did.

I used to have a Kyocera 7135. At one point, I wound up with two LIion batteries for it due to the "exploding battery" recall Kyo had (they sent me two new ones for my one old one). Just for the heck of it, because I could, I charged up the spare and let the one in the phone draw down to almost flat, and swapped batteries. And my standby time improved. After a while, I noticed that my standby time started to drop off, so I charged up the other batter, let the one in the phone draw down, then swapped. My standby times improved again.

So I got into the habit of just periodically allowing it to draw down to almost dead and doing a full recharge. I think it helps.
    All this talk about plugging in, disconnecting, depleting to 0%, charging for 1/2 an hour, waiving a dead chicken... Come on! Absolutely ridiculous, this should work out of the box as advertised - and it doesn't. I said it before, "I can't believe there isn't a class action suit yet."

Dunc

i cannot believe that so many have difficulty with this kind of rationale.

well said
    I have no idea what i had - it's packaged up and sent off. There's no question this is a firmware issue - the replacement unit is no better with the battery life. All this talk about plugging in, disconnecting, depleting to 0%, charging for 1/2 an hour, waiving a dead chicken... Come on! Absolutely ridiculous, this should work out of the box as advertised - and it doesn't. I said it before, "I can't believe there isn't a class action suit yet."

Dunc
    The dead chicken doesn't work ... been there, done that. Maybe I'll try sprinkling my 680 with holy water next.

Seriously, with two years between the release of the 650 and 680 and THIS is what Palm has to show for it (improved form factor and memory offset by inefficient use of battery and glitchy/sluggishness of display), I am considering taking the blue pill and being reinserted into the WMatrix.

Like I said before --- when I find myself missing the little things (and bigger things like battery performance) about my 2-yr-old 650, there is a problem. ARE YOU READING ANY OF THESE POSTS, PALM??
    Quote Originally Posted by wktaylor View Post
    I did the "battery reset trick" and now my battery is much improved. At the end of the day I was at around 30%, but now I'm more around 70.

What is the battery reset trick?

yes...i second the question of what the battery trick is...also...my battery is about to die
    The battery trick...

With the phone plugged into the charger, pull the battery out. Wait one minute and replace the battery. Then let the battery fully charge.

I found that this has the most influence if done with the battery down below 40%. I haven't a clue what it does but it has helped my battery life.
    Have you guys tried lowering the lcd brightness, turning off infrared and bluetooth? Power is also saved if you disconnect from gprs and only use it when needed.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Has anyone gotten the battery indicator to say 100% after removing the phone off the charger?

Mine says 100% after full charge. However, as soon as I remove the charging cable, it drops to 99%
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i'm sure it's been posted somewhere but it is very interesting to see how quickly the battery charges. i put the 680 on the ac charger @ 50% battery and it's at 93% about 45min later.....if you interpolated that out to 0% it would take approx 1 1/2 hours to charge the battery fully. perhaps it takes longer to charge the battery at the lower levels (close to zero) which would negate my assumption.
    ok, another observation. i removed it from the charger @ 93% and continued it's non-use (other than the data/email it was receiving). less than 3 hours later it was all the way back down to 50%. earlier i had posted 7hours worth of use (again, data and lots of it) starting at 100% and working down to 50%. so i lost 50% in 7 hours and 43% in less than 3 hours with the same exact workload (goodlink email transmissions).

i'm sure this is similar to lots of other's observations and am posting simply for the record.
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of posting their findings/observations/battery results? Palm needs to officially respond to this issue already. We don't need a new forum upgrade, we need a fix. <_<
    It is kinda interesting to see how many updates everyone's offering on battery life. Guilty as charged here as well. As inconsistant as everyone's battery experience is, I wouldn't be surprised if Palm is simply stumped as to the problem.

Palm isn't going to respond here. They'd never admit they made a mistake. I wish they had the backbone to appear on these forums the way other vendors will. I'm sure they are monitoring things, as do other vendors, but I can't see Palm allowing a representative to respond the way Seidio does or VolumeCare.
    Battery graph is pretty telling of what is going on. While I'm sure my days are not exactly the same the battery charge graph is essentially the same - it's a steap drop from 99% (fully charged) down to the warning notification. It's the same exact thing every day. There must be some daemon / process that was left keeping the cpu working all the time. Otherwise we'd see some variations in the charge graph.

Incidentally, the "unplug while charging, wait a minute, fully charge" snake oil has had no affect on both of my 680s.

Dunc
    Have you guys tried lowering the lcd brightness, turning off infrared and bluetooth? Power is also saved if you disconnect from gprs and only use it when needed.
    Umm, yeah I have all the power saving modes on or off that I can find on the phone and in preferences and have installed KB Lights Off too!

How does one disconnect from the GPRS? I have the network preference set to ask before connecting to the internet.

GPRS is the only network my phone lists.

I have Battery graph installed and after last nights two factory resets today's statstics show:

Number of times switched on per day ( only one day of reading) 401?? I pulled the device off the charger cable around 2:30pm and turned the phone on then. I only physically checked the phone maybe half a dozen times. received one call which Ilet go to voice mail. so where does the 401 times turned on come from? The phone radio trying to connect to the network? Reception is terrible inside my house so I have to go outside to"catch a signal" then slowly move into the house to "hold" onto it. even still the signal will go to SOS only quite often.

My friend who visited today with her Nokia E62 not only had signal inside the house, but also could make and receive calls! But she could not get and EDGE signal.

Do I need to resubscribe to the data plan to get hte rest of my phone's signals?
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    I've disabled IR, Bluetooth, lowered brightness, turned the backlight off sooner - everything... The battery still sucks and comes no where near to the Palm published battery life specs. But this whole jump through hoops (insert current 'guaranteed to condition your battery scheme' here), disable everything, mentality is insane! Why are we being forced to cripple our devices to compensate for a serious bug or design flaw in this brand new product?