Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio agrees !! same thinking !

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    LOL! You are such a tease!!
    Seidio is working on several batteries for Treo 680 and 750. They are slim extended batteries and extended batteries. We will release 2400 mah extended battery this week. I do not have the release dates for other batteries yet. Not all the battery developemnt work are quaranteed to be sucessful. however, our track record in smartphone battery development speaks for itself.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Seidio is working on several batteries for Treo 680 and 750. They are slim extended batteries and extended batteries. We will release 2400 mah extended battery this week. I do not have the release dates for other batteries yet. Not all the battery developemnt work are quaranteed to be sucessful. however, our track record in smartphone battery development speaks for itself.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Ah, OK... so let's see if I understand. The battery coming out this week definitely needs a new battery cover. But Seidio is still working on solutions that would not require the bulge?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Ah, OK... so let's see if I understand. The battery coming out this week definitely needs a new battery cover. But Seidio is still working on solutions that would not require the bulge?
    yes, that is what we call slim extended battery. Normally, they are the most difficulty ones.

Davidf Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    i hope this doesn't create a vicious circle, but given that i am willing to give the 680 another shot, is there or isn't there a battery problem?

all this clamoring for a larger battery would seem to dictate such. i suppose i will accept the demand for the extended battery as nothing else than some wanting additional power over and beyond what the oem battery supplies. or in other words, there is no problem and only un-met needs? i've just never seen anything like this before. many are saying the "problem" has improved and others have said that there have been no problems (2 days+ and 75% remaining).

12,000 views and counting...

regards
    At first I believed it was a battery issue...But now I think it's more of a firmware glitch that is draining the battery.
    I think I have managed most of the issues by turning off the auto email fetching, and manually turning off the data connection after each use. I hope a firmware update takes care of this in the future. I also do not use bluetooth, although my new headset just came today, so that will change. I am sure that will be a drain on the battery again. But I will turn that off when not using as well. I have decided to keep this little guy, and just hope for a decent battery/firmware upgrade to happen in the upcoming months.
    is there enough evidence/information to be able to say that it definately improves with time (deep cycling, conditioning, battery resets, etc)? or are all of the above phooey and one should just simply wait for a ROM update? or should one do/expect both? one thing that i cannot accept is having to actually turn off the radio and all other features just to get this thing to last beyond 1/2 day.

urgh.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So, I just got off the phone with "Josh" who said, after I described the devices battery ills, that Palm is aware of this issue, and that if he shipped me out a new battery, it would just suck the living daylights out of that battery. He read me off all the things that Palm recommends doing to salvage battery life, and I replied I'd done them all. ie. turn off IR, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. I asked him to annotate my account just in case Palm offers something to those who have called in. i plan on calling back later to ensure he really entered my remarks into my account.

He said that Palm is aware of the issue, specifically for the 680 battery life, and that they "intend to do something, but have no timeframe for this .."

So it goes.
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    So, I just got off the phone with "Josh" who said, after I described the devices battery ills, that Palm is aware of this issue, and that if he shipped me out a new battery, it would just suck the living daylights out of that battery. He read me off all the things that Palm recommends doing to salvage battery life, and I replied I'd done them all. ie. turn off IR, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. I asked him to annotate my account just in case Palm offers something to those who have called in. i plan on calling back later to ensure he really entered my remarks into my account.

He said that Palm is aware of the issue, specifically for the 680 battery life, and that they "intend to do something, but have no timeframe for this .."

So it goes.
    I "Intend" to win the lottery............
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    What email program? When I set Chatter to disconnect, the arrows disappear when the network is disconnected and are replaced by the triangle.

What happens when you manually disconnect using the preferences panel? Do the arrows go out?

What happens when you use NetworkDown or Reset NetLib to shutdown the network?

I guess I would suspect the opposite.. that your network disconnect isn't working and that the indicators are correct.
    I'm using the Versamail program that ships on the Treo 680. There is no manual disconnnect option on the program. The old version that is on the 650 had it on the option drop down menu. This one does not have the manual option, only the auto disconnect.

I don't feel I should have to use another program to shut down my network, that Versamail should do what it is supposed to do and "disconnect", either manually or automatically. Anything else is a fault of either the OS or the hardware. If my network was truly "on" would I not have the possiblity of missing calls? That hasn't happened as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i hope this doesn't create a vicious circle, but given that i am willing to give the 680 another shot, is there or isn't there a battery problem? all this clamoring for a larger battery would seem to dictate such. ...
    Personally, the only time I see any variance in battery burn is when I've had a quiet(er) IM or email day... or when I've been in areas having known good signal levels. Mind you, although I've taken some care to reduce obvious consumption -- IR disabled, screen dimmed (40%) -- I am basically unwilling to compromise on my core usage: email (chatter w/ 3 live boxes and 8 synced), IM (causerie on 4 svcs), and bluetooth (cut my arm off why don't you).

I can usually make it up to 6 or 7 hours without scampering wildly to find a charger. But I've actually had to bite the bullet and turn the radio off a few times to avoid imminent catastrophe. I'm willing to live with this only because (a) Palm recognizes the issue and appears to be working on it and (b) higher capacity batteries are on the way.

I will probably only opt for the "slim" extended battery, because at this point I've found my usage workable and don't want to mar the design of the device if I can avoid it -- might as well carry a battery pack on a shoulder strap and plug that into the charging port. But I'm hopeful that between (eventual) firmware corrections and better batteries we'll find some relief.

In all other respects, I totally love this version of the Treo. In only the first two weeks it has proven itself to be lightyears ahead of the 650 in stability and performance -- no, I *know* it's not any faster really... I'm speaking in general terms. Apart from battery I have observed other interesting behaviors (BT connect probs, preference loss after reset, SMS causing hang/reset in phone app) but none of these come close to the issues many experienced with the 650 (IMHO).

I'm not budging off my 680. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. So now I get to decide whether to complete the trade-up shipment or sell it to a friend who wants to try a smartphone.... choices, choices.
    I have found that if I set my select network to manual (for tmobile the 850/1900 band) instead of automatic that my battery life increases quite a bit. Try it and let me know if you experience the same?
    Frank
    yes, that is what we call slim extended battery. Normally, they are the most difficulty ones.

Davidf Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    At last!!! We get a direct answer to this question. So, no go on the same form factor battery YET from Seidio = Slim Extended (guess we were supposed to know this). Instead, we get an extended (bigger) battery, that comes with a case to hold the whole shebang (not even a "hump" option yet). I do not mean to sound jaded, but based on what at least the members have said in this forum, how many of you are going to buy a bigger battery and case that changes the form factor?

Perhaps a poll is in order? Some unscientific research? Maybe we can get the point across to David that we dont want to sacrefice the form factor.

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather stick to using a spare than change the form factor.

FWIW, I sent an email to Lion battery, and they got back to me right away to let me know that an extended bettery that fits within the form factor is in the works. I will update if I hear more.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    At last!!! We get a direct answer to this question. So, no go on the same form factor battery YET from Seidio = Slim Extended (guess we were supposed to know this). Instead, we get an extended (bigger) battery, that comes with a case to hold the whole shebang (not even a "hump" option yet). I do not mean to sound jaded, but based on what at least the members have said in this forum, how many of you are going to buy a bigger battery and case that changes the form factor?

Perhaps a poll order? Some unscientific research? Maybe we can get the point across to David that we dont want to sacrefice the form factor.

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather stick to using a spare than change the form factor.

FWIW, I sent an email to Lion battery, and they got back to me right away to let me know that an extended bettery that fits within the form factor is in the works. I will update if I hear more.
    I'm so with you , Matt! I had a spare battery with my 650 and I have one for my 680 and I can definitely live with that until a slim extended comes out! There's no way I'll buy the bigger battery that doesn't fit current form factor.
    Cheers to that. I would have kept me 650s 2400mah battery, bought a silicone case and called it good. No way am I buying a humpy. Besides will the battery cover match the device color?
    The same goes for me. Whoever comes out with the same form slim extended battery gets my business. I am not inalterably opposed to the hump, but I'm not about to buy one if I can get by with the slim extended, whoever makes it. I had the extended 650 battery and I always carried a spare anyway. I used it on perhaps three occasions in the last year. There is a space for the extra battery in my (Nutcracker) case.
    just say no to larger batteries and humped battery covers, ESPECIALLY in the case of the "new slim design" (ahem) Treo 680!

c'mon, Seido! market research must have told you that slim was in....
    No humps, no humps, just lovely mAh bumps!

Geez I need some sleep.

BTW, put me with those who have seen a significant improvement in battery life though the discharge/recharge cycle alone. Much better life with consistently same usage. I also recently did a hard reset with one (of two) of my batteries (for the low-speaker issue), but I'm pretty pleased overall now.
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    I finally put my phone back on the charger a few minutes ago after 51 hours off the charger.

I took it off the charger at midnight on Sunday night. Tonight at 9pm, it still had 67% charge -- that is after being off the charger for 45 hours. I did not use it much during that time, but it shows that it is no longer eating battery from staying idle. During that 45 hours the phone was on the entire time (in standby), and I did the following: sent/received about 15-20 text messages, made about 5 phone calls totalling about 30 minutes, and browsed the web for about 20-30 minutes.

After coming home tonight, I spent about 4 hours playing with the settings in some programs, browsing the web and all kinds of different stuff -- basically 4 straight hours with the screen on. And after that was done, I was down to 19%, so I put it on the charger.

For me, I'm now completely satisfied with the battery life. If they come out with an extended battery that is the same size as the original, I will probably buy it. But if not, I'll just stick with the stock battery.