Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    I have not done any "battery resets", but have done 3 full discharges/recharges in the 10 days I have owned the phone. And each time I do another full discharge/recharge, the battery life seems to improve.

I did a full discharge yesterday, then charged the phone last night. I took it off the charger at midnight last night. Now it is 3 AM the next day (27 hours later), and I have 82% remaining. I did barely use the phone in that 27 hours. I sent and received about 10 text messages, had one phone conversation for 10 minutes, and browsed the web for 10 minutes. Other than that the phone has been in standby the whole time. But I did not have the phone turned off. It was on the whole 27 hours, and used only 18% of my battery. So it seems that I am getting a drain of around 0.5% per hour now.

I wonder if I should do any more full discharges at the point. It seems to get better every time, but now I can't see it getting any better than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio will start releasing the batteries for Treo 750, 680 and Treo 650 (3200 mah) this week.
    If you would like to be notified when they are released, please send email to

For Treo 680
    Treo680@seidio.com

For Treo 750
    Treo750@seidio.com

For Treo 650
    Treo650@seidio.com[/email]

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    David,

How mant type will be for Treo-680 ?
    Only 2400 mah or there will be a 3200 mah as well ?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sysadmin View Post
    Batter reset?

Not sure how it works but prelem results appear it might have some effect.

here's what I did, thanks to some other members here that gave me the idea.

Power your phone over night....wait till you get a green light (I had to recharge mine today, as it was 94% after a full night charge) I had it down to 92%, then charged it back to 100% (green light)

With the AC cord (not the USB) supply connected, I pulled the battery for about 3 minutes... put the battery back up and let it change for a while (20 min or so) to the green light again.

Seems to havbe much better life. Tues will be a full test, but might be worth a try... I don't think you need to get to 92%, just listed for reference.
    sigh... on the AC charger all night... only 92% I think the class action suit that I heard about may be our only way to get this resolved. Palm sure is quiet about this, not even a "we are working on it." I think I'll levae it off the charger for a bit then see if I can top it off...

I am getting ready to travel and only have one battery, I think I'm hosed!
    Last edited by sysadmin; 12/19/2006 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added travel note
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    But according to some of the posters here, just being connected--without transmitting or receiving data--somehow drains the battery. That's what they claim, anyway.
    If you install that batterygraph application and leave your phone alone for a few hours, it is pretty clear that gprs is not disconnecting and/or entering an idle state properly and is draining the battery - even without transmitting or receiving data.

1) Phone on, do something that connects and then disconnects to the web (so you see black triangle signal icon)...phone will drain fast

2) Do a battery-out reset, leave phone on (but dont connect to the web)...see the black triangle icon...see your battery last like it should (I lost only 7% in 9 hours last night - probably due to retreiving the time & date from the network, which did then enter an "idle" state properly).
    I had one of my Not using my Treo too much days. For me that means no ptunes, not many phone calls 10 emails (push on) 5 txt messages and 5 min of internet. At the end of a 7am-9pm day battery life is...........42%. Not bad. But I hardly used the device........ What gives. At this rate we will need 4200mah batteries to make it through a day of heavy use if Palm doesnt fix this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Here is what Palm says the icons mean:

Antenna w/o triangle: Your phone is on. The bars display the signal strength. The stronger the signal, the more bars that appear. If you are outside a coverage area, no bars appear.

Antenna w/triangle: Your phone is on and a GPRS or EDGE network is within range, but you are not actively transmitting data. You can still make and receive calls.

Antenna w/green arrows: Your phone is on and a GPRS or EDGE data connection is active. You may not be able to receive calls when you are actively transmitting data. If you make a call, the data transmission is automatically interrupted, and you must manually resume the data connection when you end the call.

These definitions are right off the Palm website:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(33088))

Sure, but my explaination is both simpler and more close to accurate. The green arrows do not necessarily mean you are transmitting data the whole time, just that you are connected to the network. You usually WILL be able to recieve a call when the green arrows are active because the connection is normally idle. If you are actively receiving data, such as downloading a file, an incoming call may go to voice mail.

As to why people are seeing different drain rates after attaching and disconnecting from the network (triangle, green arrows, triangle), only Palm knows. I see much better battery life on my unit when I shutdown network programs and disconnect from the network. (Although I rarely do.. I'd rather run my Chatter and Causerie and 4Cast.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    If you install that batterygraph application and leave your phone alone for a few hours, it is pretty clear that gprs is not disconnecting and/or entering an idle state properly and is draining the battery - even without transmitting or receiving data.

1) Phone on, do something that connects and then disconnects to the web (so you see black triangle signal icon)...phone will drain fast

2) Do a battery-out reset, leave phone on (but dont connect to the web)...see the black triangle icon...see your battery last like it should (I lost only 7% in 9 hours last night - probably due to retreiving the time & date from the network, which did then enter an "idle" state properly).
    I'm not doubting you, but a better measure would be to watch the voltage drop. Doesn't the BatteryGraph software mention that 100% may actually cover a range of voltages? Therefore, a drop of 7% from 100% may be a different voltage drop than 7% from 85%. (I suppose you'd really need to measure current.. but I'm not going to hack open my shiny new 680 to get at the supply leads.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    ...a better measure would be to watch the voltage drop. Doesn't the BatteryGraph software mention that 100% may actually cover a range of voltages? Therefore, a drop of 7% from 100% may be a different voltage drop than 7% from 85%.....
    You are right - voltage drop would be more precise (Batterygraph tracks that too). Nevertheless, I hope Palm figures out a fix for this - at least it doesn't appear to be hardware related.
    Seidio plans to release Treo 680 extended batteries this week. Seidio will also offer the skin, leather case and rubberized case/crystal case to fit those extended batteries.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Seidio plans to release Treo 680 extended batteries this week. Seidio will also offer the skin, leather case and rubberized case/crystal case to fit those extended batteries.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    That's great. but what if you bought it for its orginal size> Why should you have to PURCAHSE a battery just to get through the day? I am FAR from a power user, and don't use it all that much...It should last a day!

- Palm shareholder, might not be for long!
    Why doesn't Seidio release a 1600 mah battery (same size at the 650 battery) but keep it the same size as the current 1200 mah battery for the 680? I would be much more interested in that then a 2400 mah battery that makes the Treo bigger!

I don't know if it is possible but i figure if Seidio can create a 2400 mah that is the same size as the standard 1600 mah then they should be able to create a 1600 mah the same size as the standard 1200 mah battery (if that makes sense).
    In the past 24 hours (after a 100% charge off the AC adaptor), I am down to 68% on the battery after several phone calls, reading ebooks, playing a rousing round of Warfare Inc. and checking my email several times. That is far superior to what I was seeing a over the weekend. I made a 17 minute call this morning and it only dropped 2%. I maintain that that the USB charging function does not fully charge a battery even if the indicator says it is. The Battery Monitoring program is a GREAT way to monitor what is going on with your battery life. Well worth the PayPal contribution that is requested.

As a side note, I called Palm customer service yesterday, and complained about the battery life, and asked for a new battery. They said no problem and sent it out yesterday over night express. Today I recieved a whole new phone. Not bad customer service.

Sure, but my explaination is both simpler and more close to accurate. The green arrows do not necessarily mean you are transmitting data the whole time, just that you are connected to the network. You usually WILL be able to recieve a call when the green arrows are active because the connection is normally idle. If you are actively receiving data, such as downloading a file, an incoming call may go to voice mail.

As to why people are seeing different drain rates after attaching and disconnecting from the network (triangle, green arrows, triangle), only Palm knows. I see much better battery life on my unit when I shutdown network programs and disconnect from the network. (Although I rarely do.. I'd rather run my Chatter and Causerie and 4Cast.)

I have to question the accuracy of the indicator icons on the display. I checked my email last night, and when I was done the green arrows were on (and stayed on even with auto disconnect selected). I made a phone call later, and after the call the green arrows were still on. I didn't notice what they were before I called. I suspect that auto disconnect is actually doing what is should, it is just not changing the display icon. As for disconnecting from the network, I only attach to T-Mobile TZones, and they are not showing an increase in account activity. I also know that since T-Mobile does not support the 680, the EDGE activity is not a factor. So I have to wonder about the vailidity of those icons.

A great way to save batterie life is to take out the battery when not in use. I have my batterie out for three days now and it still has power! I have not recieved any calls since then. I guess nobody wants to talk to me.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Does that mean batteries we all want--that fit within the existing case and thus crafted specially for the 680--or giant batteries that you can sell to all the various Treos but require us to carry a bulging 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I have to question the accuracy of the indicator icons on the display. I checked my email last night, and when I was done the green arrows were on (and stayed on even with auto disconnect selected). I made a phone call later, and after the call the green arrows were still on. I didn't notice what they were before I called. I suspect that auto disconnect is actually doing what is should, it is just not changing the display icon. As for disconnecting from the network, I only attach to T-Mobile TZones, and they are not showing an increase in account activity. I also know that since T-Mobile does not support the 680, the EDGE activity is not a factor. So I have to wonder about the vailidity of those icons.

What email program? When I set Chatter to disconnect, the arrows disappear when the network is disconnected and are replaced by the triangle.

What happens when you manually disconnect using the preferences panel? Do the arrows go out?

What happens when you use NetworkDown or Reset NetLib to shutdown the network?

I guess I would suspect the opposite.. that your network disconnect isn't working and that the indicators are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84 View Post
    Why doesn't Seidio release a 1600 mah battery (same size at the 650 battery) but keep it the same size as the current 1200 mah battery for the 680? I would be much more interested in that then a 2400 mah battery that makes the Treo bigger!

I don't know if it is possible but i figure if Seidio can create a 2400 mah that is the same size as the standard 1600 mah then they should be able to create a 1600 mah the same size as the standard 1200 mah battery (if that makes sense).

I thought that was one of the original thoughts of Seidio also. Lets hope they are working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84 View Post

Seidio agrees !! same thinking !

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I had one of my Not using my Treo too much days. For me that means no ptunes, not many phone calls 10 emails (push on) 5 txt messages and 5 min of internet. At the end of a 7am-9pm day battery life is...........42%. Not bad. But I hardly used the device........ What gives. At this rate we will need 4200mah batteries to make it through a day of heavy use if Palm doesnt fix this thing.
    Yeah, no kidding. But this reminded me of the drugs the person who worked on the code for the battery status display must have been using. I had a friend with a 680 last night who went to send an SMS and almost fell out of his chair laughing. After he recovered, he turned his 680 around to show the table. There he was, exchanging SMS with a buddy and the battery meter read 0%. I guess they came up with a new meaning for ZERO?? wow
    I thought that was one of the original thoughts of Seidio also. Lets hope they are working on it.
    Maybe Perry will need to rent us some time in the PPR.