Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cristobal View Post
    Be sure to switch the beam recieve setting to off as well, see if that has any effect on it.

I did. No effect.

One question about VersaMail. On the 650, there was an option for disconnecting from the network. But on the 680, there is none. But it does have an auto disconnect option. I have that set to 30 seconds. Does that drop the connection to the provider. I wonder becaus I still have the icon showing the two green arrows that I have an active data connection. Is it possible that is a source of the problem? My provider (T-Mobile) does not show any increased activity in my minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    If I charge mine to 100%, it is down to 20% in the morning. That is with nothing on, no BT, no IR Receiver, only the phone waiting to take incoming calls. This is on a new unit that is only 5 days out of the box directly from Palm!
    you should read my posting (#294) then! seems like u have the 680-idle-issue
    Yes mine was at 80 % yesterday and died completly over night. The wireless was even off. This has happened twice in 5 days. I think it is going back. Im sticking to the pearl.
    Maybe Mark the developer of Chatter can include it in his next beta update

Right now I have to do a power cycle after each access to a GPRS connection. What a pain.

There is a bigger drain in power when the GPRS icon is visible even though you are not transmitting or receiving any data. I hope Palm have a fix for this power management issue very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pshrimpton View Post
    I just have not used any app that 'needs' the internet. Like you I could not find a way to explicitly turn it off.

Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
    Yes mine was at 80 % yesterday and died completly over night. The wireless was even off. This has happened twice in 5 days. I think it is going back. Im sticking to the pearl.
    one more user with the 680-idle-issue (posting #294)! exit your last program to the launcher, then shut your treo off and i guess you wont have a full drain overnight again... i'm doing so and my battery is doing fine now! i have about 75% left after one day with gsm on, gprs off, bt off and ir off now
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio will start releasing the batteries for Treo 750, 680 and Treo 650 (3200 mah) this week.
    If you would like to be notified when they are released, please send email to

For Treo 680
    Treo680@seidio.com

For Treo 750
    Treo750@seidio.com

For Treo 650
    Treo650@seidio.com[/email]

David Chang
    Seidio
    Awww. And I just sent my review 680 back...guess I gotta plan for getting that copper 680 now :P
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobum View Post

Right now I have to do a power cycle after each access to a GPRS connection. What a pain.

There is a bigger drain in power when the GPRS icon is visible even though you are not transmitting or receiving any data. I hope Palm have a fix for this power management issue very soon.
    Why don't you turn off the network using the prefs panel or use one of the third party utilities to shut off the network? Power cycling seems excessive and time consuming. Look for NetworkDown or Reset NetLib
    Quote Originally Posted by treobum View Post

The GPRS icon is the one with the signal strength icon and the black triangle, correct? According to Palm, that indicates that the phone is attached to a GPRS/EDGE network but is not transmitting or receiving. Is the only way to turn off the GPRS to cycle power? That is totally asinine!

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
    Yes mine was at 80 % yesterday and died completly over night.
    This just happened to me as well. And without an LED indicator I had no idea when I picked up the phone this morning that anything was wrong! Nice design decision, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The GPRS icon is the one with the signal strength icon and the black triangle, correct? According to Palm, that indicates that the phone is attached to a GPRS/EDGE network but is not transmitting or receiving. Is the only way to turn off the GPRS to cycle power? That is totally asinine!

I agree with you 100%.

I hope treocentral users can find a solution for this.

Maybe Palm will surprise us and have a fix for this asap.

I was hoping NetworkDown or Reset NetLib would do it but no such luck.
    I just sent this into palm support (if I get a reply I'll post it):

I see very rapid battery drain in standby mode (no active data being uploaded or downloaded, but phone is on and gprs network is in range as indicated by the black triangle icon over the full set of signal bars).

A lot of users on Treo Central seem to be seeing the same problem. Using BatteryGraph.prc you can see that the phone thinks it is connected to a gprs network, even though it shouldn't be (no data being transfered. The only workaround (to actually disconnect from GPRS) seems to be powercycling the phone - which is probably not what Palm intended. Has this been recognized as a problem, and is a fix planned?
    Hey Palm employees - please read post #294 in this thread, it might be the answer to your battery drain issue!
    and i just re-ordered one (unlocked as was my first one) hoping to put to use some of the positive feedback/suggestions/comments found in the 680 forum... at the end of the day itjust doesn't seem normal for a product to have these kinds of issues after being released into the marketplace, at least not after having released 4-5 different versions of the same thing. i'm trying hard to want to like this device, lets see what the next one brings.

hopefully the 750 (domestic) gets introduced sometime soon to be able to make for more reasonable and well thought out choices.

regards

ps: 11,800 views of this thread so it's not too crazy to think there is/was a battery issue.
    Batter reset?

Not sure how it works but prelem results appear it might have some effect.

here's what I did, thanks to some other members here that gave me the idea.

Power your phone over night....wait till you get a green light (I had to recharge mine today, as it was 94% after a full night charge) I had it down to 92%, then charged it back to 100% (green light)

With the AC cord (not the USB) supply connected, I pulled the battery for about 3 minutes... put the battery back up and let it change for a while (20 min or so) to the green light again.

Seems to havbe much better life. Tues will be a full test, but might be worth a try... I don't think you need to get to 92%, just listed for reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ps: 11,800 views of this thread so it's not too crazy to think there is/was a battery issue.
    Maybe this thread should be in the front page of Treocentral too!

That might be enough motivation for Palm to address this issue with more urgency!

I have not seen or heard any official word from Palm about this issue.
    the black triangle means you are in an area where gprs is available.. Not that you are connected. The green arrows mean you are connected. They do not necessarily mean you are either transmitting or receiving data.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    But according to some of the posters here, just being connected--without transmitting or receiving data--somehow drains the battery. That's what they claim, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    the black triangle means you are in an area where gprs is available.. Not that you are connected. The green arrows mean you are connected. They do not necessarily mean you are either transmitting or receiving data.
    If I power cycle my 680 the black triangle will dissapear and all that is left is the signal strength icon. For my 680 I am seeing that without the triangle I am getting hardly any battery drain. But if the triangle is visible the battery drain increases a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Here is what Palm says the icons mean:

Antenna w/o triangle: Your phone is on. The bars display the signal strength. The stronger the signal, the more bars that appear. If you are outside a coverage area, no bars appear.

Antenna w/triangle: Your phone is on and a GPRS or EDGE network is within range, but you are not actively transmitting data. You can still make and receive calls.

Antenna w/green arrows: Your phone is on and a GPRS or EDGE data connection is active. You may not be able to receive calls when you are actively transmitting data. If you make a call, the data transmission is automatically interrupted, and you must manually resume the data connection when you end the call.

These definitions are right off the Palm website:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(33088))

Last edited by ivhs72; 12/19/2006 at 12:15 AM. Reason: more detail
    Has anyone given any thought to how the batteries are being charged? I charged mine up over the weekend using the USB on my desktop. When it was 100% I took it off. The next morning it was at 20%. During the day I charged it using my car charger since we were on the road most of the day. It made it to 99% when I took it off, and it again fell off rapidly. Last night I charged it using the AC adaptor. Today it seems to be acting a lot more like I would expect. I used it during the day, made a few calls, checked my email and it is now down to about 80%. I tried resetting the phone to get rid of the EDGE connection and also turn off the data connection. Neither way did it seem to have any affect on the discharge rate. I'm using the battery monitoring program that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It is a great program to use in a situation like this. Has there been any discussion about how people are charging their batteries?