Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Ok... don't know what happened but since the second "battery reset" I'm getting a good 48 hours on my battery. It's been almost a week since I did the second "reset" and with moderate use only loose, on average, 60% over the two day period.

Very little battery drain overnight... maybe 1%.

I'm still curious to see how Seidio's extended life battery will perform in hopes of extending the time between charges.
    Seidio will start releasing the batteries for Treo 750, 680 and Treo 650 (3200 mah) this week.
    If you would like to be notified when they are released, please send email to

For Treo 680
    Treo680@seidio.com

For Treo 750
    Treo750@seidio.com

For Treo 650
    Treo650@seidio.com[/email]

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    it's gotta be the constant connection with bluetooth.
    it picks up calls 10x faster because what appears to be a constant connection to a bluetooth headset.

i'm thinking that is why the battery drains so fast
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    If you would like to be notified when they are released, please send email to
    I think many, if not most, would like to be notified when the extended battery with the same form factor will be released. Can you tell us that?

Most of us spent too much money on a slimmer Treo to go back to an even outrageously fatter one.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think many, if not most, would like to be notified when the extended battery with the same form factor will be released. Can you tell us that?

Most of us spent too much money on a slimmer Treo to go back to an even outrageously fatter one.

Thanks.

I agree!! This is the million dollar question that has been asked over and over again in this and other forums, but yet to be answered. Only that "Batteries will be available this week" this is fantastic news!!!...but....again with the cryptic messages.

Do we know if there is going to be an extended battery that fits the form factor David, or is the team waiting until the last minute to squeeze extra juice into the batteries?
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    For the bluetooth draining power issue: Have you tried setting the connection to hidden? I guess when it is set on "visible" it always sends out "ok to connect to me signals" but on hidden it does not, yet it still WILL connect to the bluetooth headset it has been paaired with. I did that and it seemed like I got a little more life out of the battery yesterday.

Its still abyssmal compared to the 650 battery and usage and I am not even accessing data or internet connections!

I may go ahead and try the battery reset as outlined in this thread.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I can verify that over time, my battery has been performing a lot better (it lasts overnight and all day yesterday with one charge, typical emails, Bluetooth on, phone calls, etc., with 35% left now as of this writing.)

FYI
    Battery Fright Fever at Treocentral sure has settled down a tad, hasn't it?

For me, I've gone from an initial 8% per hour battery drain to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1%-2% per hour (full standby -- doing nothing). After some plugged-in manual resets I did today, I'm even getting some periods of less than 1% per hour drain, even with a small amount of PDA use (but no phone use).

I still hope it'll continue to improve, but I'm really lovin' my Crimson Crusader right about now.
    I tried the battery reset trick (full charge -> remove battery while plugged in -> wait a minute or two -> reinsert battery -> allow to charge overnight).

I took it off the charger around 10am this morning. I've used Chatter (twice today, 2 accounts), did some light browsing, and had about 5 calls. It's 8pm now and I'm at 77%. I would have been at 20% or less before the trick.

Brightness: 3 clicks from lowest setting
    BT: off (my headset bit the dust)
    IR Beam Receive: OFF
    Date & Time: Automatic (off didn't help, and I lost 30 minutes in two days!)
    Auto Dim: 1 minute
    On Call Dim: 30 seconds
    Firmware: 1.03
    Cingular Graphite
    Average Signal: 3 bars (lucky to get anything at all in my neighborhood)

I really hope this helps somebody. Less than a full day of use had me doubting my purchase. I can deal with a day and a half.

Good Luck!
    I can't believe it. It now Sunday night (11pm) and my 680 hit 9%. I took it off the charger on Friday morning (7AM). I didn't do much usage on Sat & today, just a few text messages & a couple of phone calls, but I'm surprised it lasted the entire weekend. On Friday I used the net a few times.

I can only hope it improves more
    Its the GPRS connection that is doing it for me.

I have done all the reset tricks, and after 3 weeks of having my treo was still only getting 10-12 hours before needing to recharge. I decided see how long it would last without the GPRS connection on, so I took it off the charger on Saturday morning and 48 hours later still had 54% left (about 1% per hour). I turned on the GPRS connection about 2 hours ago and am now down to 38%, which has taken me back to 8% per hour drop.

Phil
    How do you turn off the GPRS separately? Do you mean that you didn't use Internet functions (Blazer/Versamail) or is there an actual toggle for GPRS? I know that under Preferences:Network you can manually connect, but the system auto-connects when an app requests network resources. Then it times out and disconnects.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpantoja View Post
    How do you turn off the GPRS separately? Do you mean that you didn't use Internet functions (Blazer/Versamail) or is there an actual toggle for GPRS?
    I just have not used any app that 'needs' the internet. Like you I could not find a way to explicitly turn it off.

Phil
    i am no native english speaker but i try to do my best to explain what i found out

have you ever wondered how it could be that some users have good battery experiences and other can watch the battery to drain in like 12 hours? yes? me too... and now, i finally found out what the real prolem is: ist no hardware problem, but the treo 680 *sometimes* does not idle correctly and stays on, even if you put the power button and screen and keyboard go off. hard to believe huh? well, here is my experience:

i have been using batterygraph on my TH-55, my T|X and Treo 650 without any problems, so i installed it on my brand new Treo 680, too! the first 2 days i had no problems with the battery, i played a lot, made some calls and tried to find out what was new, the battery lasted 50 hours (gsm on, gprs off, bt off, ir off), so i fullcharged it over night. the nex day, at around 7.40am, i took it off the charger. showing 99%, i disabled gsm and laid the phone to my desk. now it was: 99%, gsm off, gprs off, bt off, ir off. i powered off the 680 so now screen and keyboard were off too. i went to work with my treo 650 and left the 680 at home. 13 hours later, i came home and watched my 680: 42% battery left! how could this be? i had a look at battery graph telling me something like this:
    since last charge at 7:42am
    total time - 13:23:12
    time on - 13:22:05
    time off - 00:01:07
    on today - 13:22:05

so, though i powered off my 680 and had everything disabled, even gsm, it stayed on for over 13 hours and drained my battery to 42%! that made me think, because when i power off my 650, it does idle and the time comes up as "time off" in battery graph, even when i have gsm on.

after i recharged my 680 to 100%, i took it off the cradle, had a look at it and powered it off. 5minutes later i watched at batterygraph and guess what: this time it showed these 5mins at "time off"! i enabled gsm and laid it back to my desk. about 11 hours later, i still had 81% battery left and batterygraph showed the correct "time off" time of 11hours.

so ---> the treo 680 has a problem with idle mode, it can happen that it stays on even when u put the power button and screen and keyboard go off! i have no idea when exactly this happens, but it explains some users are doing fine with their battery and other get drain to 0% over night (probably with gsm on, cause i hab 42%left after 13 hours with gsm off).

you still wonder how it can be that some users say their battery gets better after more charges? well, maybe they had this "no correct idle" problem in the first days and now they dont!

pleae checkout batterygraph! if you have good battery time, everything will be fine! if you are loosing full charges over night, watch if this program tells you that your device was "on" all the time!
    so what is the fix?
    no fix yet, i hope for an update!
    Quote Originally Posted by aretiss View Post
    i am no native english speaker but i try to do my best to explain what i found out

.... pleae checkout batterygraph! if you have good battery time, everything will be fine! if you are loosing full charges over night, watch if this program tells you that your device was "on" all the time!

great research, and your English was very readable. Thanks for taking your time to post your findings.

I wonder if the pulling the battery as listed here allows the "system_idle" state to get reset?
    Very interesting, I wonder if that's sometimes why my phone feels very warm when I pick it up. Overall, the 680 gets much hotter than the 650 did - a long call will really warm it up - but I haven't figure out why it sometimes seems heated up after just sitting still. Maybe it's not idling. Thanks for th info!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celf View Post
    What puzzles me most is that when I take my Palm off the charger (fully loaded) before I go to bed there's 75% left when I get up in the morning.....25% discharge within 10 hours doing NOTHING......phone and BT are OFF!!! and no apps running. It looks like battery technology of a few years ago...like the T3.
    You're very lucky. If I charge mine to 100%, it is down to 20% in the morning. That is with nothing on, no BT, no IR Receiver, only the phone waiting to take incoming calls. This is on a new unit that is only 5 days out of the box directly from Palm!