Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Conclusion (will be in mt Brighthand review):
    Firmware 1.03 in Cingy models (not seen in fresh from Palm ones) seems to have the network connection issue that causes the sever battery drain. Firmware 1.05 (from Palm and unlocked) fixes this some, but I think (pretty sure) that the next update for both the CIngy and Palm models will be somewhere near 1.07 and things will be remarkably better.
    You did know this was going to happen, right?...

I presume the 1.07 reference comes from having talked with insiders? Any idea on timeframe? Has anyone found this build out there that we might apply sooner, as many did with the pre-release 650 firmware? I don't mind going through that again if it means quicker cycle time. Palm looking for beta testers?

OK... that concludes my "obvious follow-up questions" reaction.
    Trust me, its the case

Edit: then again, don't trust me; just wait for the next firmware update lest you get a bigger battery before then.
    Or do both and be really pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveOver View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post it seems to be related to the network connectivity. Even if you never use the data network, it can still make the connection as shown by the two green arrows. Yesterday it went from 100 % to 62 % in about 16 hours, including some heavy usage. Overnight (no usage) it went from 62 to 12 % in six hours. Btw I have an unlocked v 1.05
    Strange...yours lost more doing less overnight than during the day (based on your figures a higher rate of loss)?! Might be it still need calibrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    Strange...yours lost more doing less overnight than during the day (based on your figures a higher rate of loss)?! Might be it still need calibrating!
    The rapid loss always seems to happen when connected to the GPRS network. Frequently lower loss is when not connected, i.e low battery, battery ran out and after a recharge I have to manually reconnect.
    The default is t-mobile internet while I only have t-zones.
    Also when running an internet app while the connection is set to T-mobile Internet it will get in this endless loop of trying to connect. I.e connecting/canceling connection, instead of prompting you to retry.
    You should set your software, whatever is trying to connect to stop after a certain number of failed tries.
    i think it is great that everyone is trying to help one another with their battery issues. 14 pages so far. that is just tremendous.

happy holidays
    The battery issue is fixed, for me at least...
    Trust me, its the case

Edit: then again, don't trust me; just wait for the next firmware update lest you get a bigger battery before then.

As a reviewer for Brighthand, I appreciate that you are here giving us this information, and it is encouraging to know that a solution is coming. I trust that your information is correct, since you have been around for a while, and you have had the 680 well in advance of the release.

Why would someone not trust you, since your reviews have been pretty much dead on...oh well!!!

So tell me, I know you have to give your advance unit back after your final review...are you going to buy one for yourself?
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    did the reset on 2 phones. they were at 100pc when fully charged. then turned both phone radios on - they fell to 94pc immediately! then 3 mins later both at 92pc.

interedtingly my treo 650 with extended battery has been in the drawer for 2 weeks and is STILL at 82pc.

the compararive test to do is a 680 with extended v 650 with extended. I will give it a try and update all.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Ok, so I came home today and recharged on my USB cable. Was at 5x% and recharged to Green.

It lasted to 9x5 until my friend called and we've been talking on phone for 1:46min and am at 61%. So recharging via USB beats wall charger by a HUGE margin...

THIS is what I'm looking for. So why does charging via USB do so much better than chargving via wall wart?
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Might have to try that option tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    As a reviewer for Brighthand, I appreciate that you are here giving us this information, and it is encouraging to know that a solution is coming. I trust that your information is correct, since you have been around for a while, and you have had the 680 well in advance of the release.

Why would someone not trust you, since your reviews have been pretty much dead on...oh well!!!

So tell me, I know you have to give your advance unit back after your final review...are you going to buy one for yourself?
    It wasn't a question of 'trust' at all..just that the poster claimed there was something factually true that apparently isn't (that unlocked 680s don't have the problem that locked ones do, due to differences in the firmware).

As mentioned, there's an entire thread on this very subject ("please post firmware revs") that disproves that theory (although it's a good one). It was the first thought I had (being a s/w guy for 30+ years), but it turns out NOT to be the case - at least based on what members here have seen.

While we all want to know what the real scoop is on the battery issue, posting something that is completely contradictory to what the board has seen would seem to be counterproductive and misleading. So, if there is more detail that supports the theory, it would be worthwhile to add to the discussion here..otherwise, the claim that it's firmware and 1.03 has the bug while 1.05 doesn't isn't borne out by people's experiences here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    You should set your software, whatever is trying to connect to stop after a certain number of failed tries.
    The default network for T-Mobile is T-mobile Internet and can not be changed on the phone.

As of battery life, made sure the data connection was off last night. ( Black diamond ) and the drain dropped to 2.5 %/hr . In 12 hours I went from 42% to 10%.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I hope I've hit the tipping point. Finished charge at 1600 yesterday, had 2h8m phone call and didn't recharge overnight. Lost 8-10% overnight (Date/Time and Network active) and the phone is only at 41%. As eveyone else is saying "this is what I was expecting..". Hope it holds.

Luck to those whose batteries haven't yet...

Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    This is about my 4th charge Yesterday at 5pm it was at 80% i went to the gym and bar for happy hour. I have made 0 calls. Showed it to my freinds for dinner for a bit, crashed at my friends house,woke up at 3 to go to the bathroom and it was completly dead. I left the charger at work and im trying to charge it with sync cable but it is so dead it won't even take a charge. I think this thing is going back and I am sticking with my trusty pearl which is at 75% btw. Thank god I had my Pearl or I would be wo a phone this weekend,
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveOver View Post
    Also when running an internet app while the connection is set to T-mobile Internet it will get in this endless loop of trying to connect. I.e connecting/canceling connection, instead of prompting you to retry.
    That is not unusual. It happened to me every once in a while using my 650. It was a king of grin-and-bear-it experience. Either it would eventually connect or the solution--usually, though not even then always--was to turn the phone off and back on again, resetting your connection to TMO. That was the most effective--though not foolproof--remedy.

So it is not just a 680 issue.
    I think it is the persistant Data connection that is killing the battery. I have had my 680 for over 2 weeks now. The only thing that made a huge difference was manually turning off the data connection after each session. I have turned off the automatic email fetching, and the battery is last at least twice as long. I can almost see getting two days on a charge at this rate. Just no auto email checking... Any program that will fetch email and kill the data connection when done?
    I believe you can configure Chatter to used a timed sync, and instruct it to turn off the data between syncs--but I'm not 100% certain of that last part, but pretty sure.
    There's a setting in chatter to disconnect when all mail boxes are offline under >preferences>connections first option.
    GF + Treo 680 ... not cool for batt life. LOL that is all :P