Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'm at 9 days with the 680. Done 4 complete discharge cycles, all "fixes", charge till green etc. No joy. I am at 50% at end of day with <30 min of calling I've had a light week, otherwise, I wouldn't get thru 3/4 day with this battery.

I'll give it another week just in case it needs as much time as Coppertops. I'll wait and see if others who get new devices get better mileage before I decide on not getting another.

Exscept for the battery, this really IS a good device dangit!
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Conclusion (will be in mt Brighthand review):
    Firmware 1.03 in Cingy models (not seen in fresh from Palm ones) seems to have the network connection issue that causes the sever battery drain. Firmware 1.05 (from Palm and unlocked) fixes this some, but I think (pretty sure) that the next update for both the CIngy and Palm models will be somewhere near 1.07 and things will be remarkably better.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Firmware 1.03 in Cingy models (not seen in fresh from Palm ones) seems to have the network connection issue that causes the sever battery drain. Firmware 1.05 (from Palm and unlocked) fixes this some, but I think (pretty sure) that the next update for both the CIngy and Palm models will be somewhere near 1.07 and things will be remarkably better.
    I had this same theory early on in the "battery saga", but as much as this seems logical, I don't think it's the case.

I posted a thread asking people to report their battery experiences with different versions of the firmware, and BOTH 1.03 and 1.05 (unlocked) had an equal number of reports of quickly draining/"bad" batteries.

So, I really don't think it's a firmware issue - or I would have turned in my Cingy and bought a Palm unbranded long ago.

- PB
    Trust me, its the case

Edit: then again, don't trust me; just wait for the next firmware update lest you get a bigger battery before then.

I have both 750 and 680, apparently 750 has a better batt performance
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Unlocked 1.05 and I'm draining fast. So are other 1.05's.
    How does one check the firmware version?

And is it upgradable via hot-sync?
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Unlocked 1.05 and I'm draining fast. So are other 1.05's.
    Phone > Phone Options > Phone info

Mine shows:

unlocked (copper direct from Palm) 1.04-ROW Firmware MW01.50

Charged all night, no blue tooth, not email, ONE 18 minute call down to 90% (from 99% after all night charge)
    Quote Originally Posted by sysadmin View Post
    Phone > Phone Options > Phone info

Mine shows:

unlocked (copper direct from Palm) 1.04-ROW Firmware MW01.50
    Ditto. Thanks.
    No rhyme or reason. Mine is now getting better battery life after about 3 weeks of owning it. This is even after I just went ahead and turned back on to automatically set date & time on the network. After light PDA use & one minute or so data use (no calls) I'm at 81% with almost 8 hours off the charger. I would be in that area after 3 hours at best case scenario before with NO usage. Yesterday with a couple minutes data use and light PDA use, I actually was at 84% after 12 hours. Go figure. Hopefully this will remain the case!
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    I have both 750 and 680, apparently 750 has a better batt performance
    I think the difference is the screen. The 240x240 screen uses much less power than the 320x320 screen. 60% more pixels = more power drain.
    Trust me, its the case

Edit: then again, don't trust me; just wait for the next firmware update lest you get a bigger battery before then.
    Hey, if you've discovered the reason, we all want to hear the details..

But what you're saying is exactly the opposite of what people here have apparently experienced.

So, please 'splain more..

- PB
    Screens don't work that way, the big power drain on a screen is the backlight which is not related to the number of pixels but size and brightness. Size of the 750 and 680 screens is the same despite the pixel difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I think the difference is the screen. The 240x240 screen uses much less power than the 320x320 screen. 60% more pixels = more power drain.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I have an unlocked model and rarely use the network, have the time/date update thingy set to "Nothing" and got the massive battery drain issue for the first week of owning my 680. Not sure what you're talking about, Antoine, but you seem to have an inside track. More expanation of what you've discussed with Palm, perhaps, would be welcome.
    What I was told is that the battery drain was related to the network connection library and that it would be fixed in a future update (this was not told to me by Palm). I was not told when that would happen, but given the accounts of everyone (me included) having battery issues, I would not put it past Palm to release it not long after the holidays simmer - hopefully, Cingular and others get that fix on the fast track to approval.

As I learn more, I shall share what I can.

Patrick;
    It took me a good week to break the battery in and even then I still had to scale down my usage compared to my 650. The smaller battery is a factor - we just cannot use it as hard.

That is also to say that the 650 does one heck of a job with the battery it has.

Hey Antoine

We're neighbors. I'm from Silver Spring.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    As much as I like this phone..I'm not scaling down squat. I'm not accepting anything.

I bought a Rev "A" product, and I'm aware of that..but I'm not going to "downgrade" my use simply because something is wrong with it. I'll wait another week and see....
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Screens don't work that way, the big power drain on a screen is the backlight which is not related to the number of pixels but size and brightness. Size of the 750 and 680 screens is the same despite the pixel difference.
    Are you sure?

The reason I ask is because there have been a few phones that come to mind where they upgraded the screen quality (same size as older model) and that was blamed for poor battery life compared to the older model. One current case that comes to mind is the Motorola L2 and L7. Same phone, same battery, same screen size, but the L2 gets much longer battery life because of the lesser screen quality.

I even remember reading that the Treo 600 had much better battery life than the 650 due to the screen upgrade.
    There can be more drain for more pixels depending on how they are addressed, but that's small compared to the backlight.

The 600 also had a built-in battery while the 650 had a removeable (therefore smaller) battery. I think the 650 screen was also better and brighter. I think those make more difference than number of pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    Are you sure?

The reason I ask is because there have been a few phones that come to mind where they upgraded the screen quality (same size as older model) and that was blamed for poor battery life compared to the older model. One current case that comes to mind is the Motorola L2 and L7. Same phone, same battery, same screen size, but the L2 gets much longer battery life because of the lesser screen quality.

I even remember reading that the Treo 600 had much better battery life than the 650 due to the screen upgrade.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Like I said in an earlier post it seems to be related to the network connectivity. Even if you never use the data network, it can still make the connection as shown by the two green arrows. Yesterday it went from 100 % to 62 % in about 16 hours, including some heavy usage. Overnight (no usage) it went from 62 to 12 % in six hours. Btw I have an unlocked v 1.05