Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatan View Post
    I posted earlier about the completely different battery performance between two identical 680's. I went to TMobile this morning and bought a new SIM card. Now my battery life is as good as my wife's. My battery life is up about 50% over yesterday with the old SIM and similar phone usage.

I have no idea why this made a difference. I've been using a Dash with the original SIM and had (and still have) great battery life. Don't know why it made a difference in the 680 and not the Dash.

I doubt if this is a common problem, but I thought you might find the results interesting.
    how do you know if you have an old card?

what does it take to get a new card? does it cost?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It was not an old card, just the previous card. It was only about 6 months old. TMobile charged me $20 for the new card. I just went to a TMobile store and asked for a new SIM. They didn't even ask why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I used Battery Time and pitted the 650 vs. 680. I expected the 650 to perform better, of course. The results are interesting and a little bit alarming.

After fully charging both phones, radio off, beam receive off, backlight to full power, here are the (unscientific) results:

Elapsed Time 680
    ----------- ---
    1 hr 76%
    2 51%
    3 26%
    3:35 9% - Battery Time stopped.

---
    1 hr 87%
    2 74%
    3 61%
    4 48%
    6:42 6% - Battery Time stopped.

Basically, with all of the same conditions, the 650 gave me almost twice the battery time. I performed the battery/charger reset that was previously recommended, charged overnight, and my 680 showed 97% charged when I first turned it on. I'm going to top it off and perform Battery Time test again, same conditions as before, to see if the battery/charger reset does anything to help. Then, I plan to perform yet another Battery Time test with the 680 using the battery from the 650. I'll report my findings for anyone interested.
    Last night I placed my fully-charged 650 battery into my 680 and ran Battery Time. After fully discharging, the results indicated that Battery Time stopped and shut down the phone after 6 hrs 5 min. w/ 2% left on the battery. According to the figures from before, it seems the 650 is a little more efficient than the 680 with power usage.

It seems like the 680's sub-standard battery performance is a firmware or software issue, but I'm not sure. Posts from fellow 680 users seems to support the firmware theory. Tonight I plan on performing a hard reset with the 680 plugged into the charger and see if this helps.
    I believe its firmware, and am nearly close to comparing enuogh reports to make a solid determination on which 680 firmware is better (so far teh from Palm unlocked 1.05 seems to be better). In any account, most of us here will push the 680 a lot harder than the battery capacity intends to be pushed. Tis ok, it will make another Treo update at least meet that high hurdle
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I believe its the firmware too. I use palm internals to compare 650 & 680 running the same functions & settings. It came up 86 secs on 680 and 12 secs on 650. And 650 is running an extra CJKOs ....

matt
    could it be a combination of issues... firmware plus plain-old cruddy batteries?
    cruddy? I can't speak to that... but smaller is smaller. I think it probably is a combo though.
    Today was the first time my battery lasted over 24 hrs. Also discovered why, for one or another reason the network connection disconnected some time last evening. As a result my battery was still around 50 % this morning. At the moment I connect to the data network the drain is back to about 8% per hour, even if no data is exchanged. Disconnect from the datawork (no green arrows) and the drain drops to about 2-4 % per hour, even with BlueTooth turned on.
    I am on T-Mobile, use an old (VoiceStream) SIM and T-Zones as my network connection.
    Interesting, I have not done a network disconnected test as I am a bit too teathered to email. Will have to try that in the next few days as my 680 time is ending really soon and my review needs to be completed.

question from a consumer standpoint: does it seem normal to do all of these "tests" for a device that was just released into the marketplace? just wondering. it just doesn't seem normal.

regards
    Interesting, I have not done a network disconnected test as I am a bit too teathered to email. Will have to try that in the next few days as my 680 time is ending really soon and my review needs to be completed.

I am sorely disappointed with the battery life on the 680. Within 2 hours I am down to 70%. Granted I am a heavy user running Goodlink

C'mon Mugen Power crank that HI-CAP out..QUICK!!!!
    I'm getting the feeling that the battery meter is at least one of the culprits in this saga. When I take the 680 off charge in the morning, within minutes it has lost 5-8% and continues to lose charge at an alarming rate (8% / hr) until it gets to around 70% or so. At that point, the rate of decrease goes down dramatically. In the last four hours, I've lost 15%, about half the usual rate.

Crazy times.

Is there any indication Palm is hearing any of this? We're told they read these boards (unofficially). Meanwhile, the support line treats every one of the hundreds / thousands of similar reports as if they're hearing it for the first time. No doubt some lawyers had a hand in that policy. Anyhow, it would be interesting if Palm weighed in a bit and gave us some indication as to whether they are taking any action.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that the battery meter is at least one of the culprits in this saga. When I take the 680 off charge in the morning, within minutes it has lost 5-8% and continues to lose charge at an alarming rate (8% / hr) until it gets to around 70% or so. At that point, the rate of decrease goes down dramatically. In the last four hours, I've lost 15%, about half the usual rate.

Crazy times.

Is there any indication Palm is hearing any of this? We're told they read these boards (unofficially). Meanwhile, the support line treats every one of the hundreds / thousands of similar reports as if they're hearing it for the first time. No doubt some lawyers had a hand in that policy. Anyhow, it would be interesting if Palm weighed in a bit and gave us some indication as to whether they are taking any action.
    I'm seeing the same thing here. Is there a proven way to get Palm's attention on this matter? Have petitions, and the like, helped before? (I haven't been following the story with the 700p, but have noticed a petition thread)
    I agree that one of the culprits is being logged into T-zones. I have also been averaging about 8% an hour but this evening, my versamail automatically goes off at 10pm. I also have the mail set to autodisconnect. Basically after 10 my meter stopped at 19% and didn't move for 2 hours. I kept checking as I watched some TIVO shows.

Which leads me to say a second culprit is the battery meter also. LAst night I actively surfed for 30 minutes after my meter read 0%. Right now I'm doing it again using my ptunes as a jukebox to kill it completely again as a deep deep discharge.

After the deep discharge last night and helping to teach my battery meter that it's not reading correctly, my battery was much stronger today. Plus today I had almost 1 hour on the phone in just 2 conference calls plus the usual email downloading of course. Battery is definitely slowing it's discharge rate. Will keep testing.

What's killing me now is waiting for it to die. It won't die, I want to go to sleep soon.
    Needed my battery to be full this morning (travel) so I had disconnected from the data network last night, low and behold battery went down to 50 % but guess what the unit connected to the data network again, while I was sleeping.

To follow up, the only way I know off on how to turn off the Data network connection reliably is by selecting a connection that won't work for you .i.e VPN Connection while you only have T-Zones.
    When I connect T-Zones as my network and disconnect it , a little while later it will be reconnected, even though I have no mail push scheduled.
    Last edited by MoveOver; 12/13/2006 at 06:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveOver View Post
    To follow up, the only way I know off on how to turn off the Data network connection reliably is by selecting a connection that won't work for you .i.e VPN Connection while you only have T-Zones.
    How about removing the SIM card?

Has anyone run a battery 'test' with the SIM card out. I have no idea what Palm's definition of 'Standby' is but it sure isn't mine. So I am planning to do this test tonight and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveOver View Post
    ... the only way I know off on how to turn off the Data network connection reliably is by selecting a connection that won't work for you .i.e VPN Connection while you only have T-Zones.
    I have had TMO switch me from one to the other after a phone call explaining the problem (but that was from VPN or whatever to and back from TMO Internet).
    Well forget about theory, on a 3.5 hour plane ride with everything off but the PDA, it lost 30% of it's battery life. Seriously consider returning it and getting a Dash
    It works great as a Bluetooth DUN on T-Mobile T-Zones
    Wow that is bad. there must be a firmware issue. I don't think that the Dash is the answer. It is still a WM phone.
    Although my battery life hasn't been good. I am not jumping, I will just hold out for a firmware upgrade and or a Extended battery.