1.    #1  
    I have to say I'm disappointed with my new 680. I do like the smaller "feel" of the 680 however, I don't like the flushness of the buttons. The 650 buttons are more distinctive and you can easily find what you're looking for without looking at the unit. The 680's buttons also seem stiff. I have to really press them to activate them. Then there's the lag, and I have NO apps installed on it yet. Luckily for me my 650 has been pretty much reset free. Every once in awhile it would but for the most part it has been pretty stable. Having been a Palm user for a long time (remember the Pilot?) I really like the Palm OS over WM so the 750 is not an option either. I really think Palm missed the boat with this unit. Seems they were trying to get it out for the Christmas rush before really testing it for form and function.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    The 680 will win some folks over, but not all.

For me, the 680 is a step forward. I rarely have any lag issues, and no resets as of yet. I don't even have an issue with the battery.

The 680 for me.......Is a keeper. Sorry that it wasn't for you.
  3. sda
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post

For me, the 680 is a step forward. I rarely have any lag issues, and no resets as of yet. I don't even have an issue with the battery.

Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post

I have to agree, even as a power user, that the 680 has really fixed the areas where the 650 was sorely lacking. The battery is my biggest issue, and I am using a spare right now. In 2 -3 weeks, when Seidio comes out with the extended batteries, It will be a complete device.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    I have to say I'm disappointed with my new 680. ............... I really think Palm missed the boat with this unit. Seems they were trying to get it out for the Christmas rush before really testing it for form and function.

To say that it was not tested it just a hasty generalized statement that is just not true. Maybe it isn't for you...that would be more accurate...but not tested...I totally disagree.

I am wondering (my opinion) if some aren't jumping to conclusions without really giving the 680 a fair trial. Many of the "This thing sucks" threads, and "I am returning mine" are coming after 1,2 or 3 days with the 680. I have had mine for 12 days now, and it took a while to get used to the button layout, the "give" on the buttons, the favorites screen, etc. And the comparisons, in may of the threads I am reading, are against a device that the person has been using for at least a year. I think it would be a more fair assesment of the device to give it a week or 2 (or 3) of use before declaring it a loser. Maybe it's me, but that is my observation ....my 2 cents!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I have to agree, even as a power user, that the 680 has really fixed the areas where the 650 was sorely lacking. The battery is my biggest issue, and I am using a spare right now. In 2 -3 weeks, when Seidio comes out with the extended batteries, It will be a complete device.

To say that it was not tested it just a hasty generalized statement that is just not true. Maybe it isn't for you...that would be more accurate...but not tested...I totally disagree.

I am wondering (my opinion) if some aren't jumping to conclusions without really giving the 680 a fair trial. Many of the "This thing sucks" threads, and "I am returning mine" are coming after 1,2 or 3 days with the 680. I have had mine for 12 days now, and it took a while to get used to the button layout, the "give" on the buttons, the favorites screen, etc. And the comparisons, in may of the threads I am reading, are against a device that the person has been using for at least a year. I think it would be a more fair assesment of the device to give it a week or 2 (or 3) of use before declaring it a loser. Maybe it's me, but that is my observation ....my 2 cents!!!
    I never "declared it a loser" or said the 680 "sucks". I stated it has issues that my 650 does not. Granted many do have issues with the 650 as well but I stand by my statement that Palm put this Treo out before fully testing it unless the lag issue is only on a batch of Treo's which I have no way of knowing. But there seems to be a consensus on this forum that it is an issue. Granted this forum represents a small sample of the Treo 680 users out there. Keeping in mind that we are talking about a PDA/Phone here but to me, the lag issue is similar to an automaker putting a car on the market that stutters when you press the gas. You're right, maybe the 680 is not for me, but that does not negate the problems this Treo has. I don't want to "get use to" these issues. It's conceivable that Palm missed something; they did send out 140,000 of the 680's without microphone capability.
    Last edited by gadgetjunkies; 12/03/2006 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    I never "declared it a looser" or said the 680 "sucks". I stated it has issues that my 650 does not. Granted many do have issues with the 650 as well but I stand by my statement that Palm put this Treo out before fully testing it unless the lag issue is only on a batch of Treo's which I have no way of knowing. But there seems to be a consensus on this forum that it is an issue. Granted this forum represents a small sample of the Treo 680 users out there. Keeping in mind that we are talking about a PDA/Phone here but to me, the lag issue is similar to an automaker putting a car on the market that stutters when you press the gas. You're right, maybe the 680 is not for me, but that does not negate the problems this Treo has. I don't want to "get use to" these issues. It's conceivable that Palm missed something; they did send out 140,000 of the 680's without microphone capability.

...and what reliable source do you have for that statement. There was one website that reported that my fellow Ohio resident. Did you notice that No major tech website or media news service carried that story? Why? Because it was a statement made by a guy with a website, and someone in this forum linked to it. Yet you blindly quote it as if it were a given fact. Could it have happened? Yes, but I think if that had been true, we would have heard a lot more about it. Many. many others here, including myself cried B.S. at that story.

A few people have had the lag issues with the 680, by no means has it been a consensus here. Did you try to exchange it for a new one? I am on my 2nd 680 bacause of a phone issue bacause I know as an early adopter that there may be a problem with early units, even with massive testing, (Case in point - PS 3, Nintendo Wii, etc)

Nice try, but your argument is weak at best. I wish you all the best with your 650. Oh, and Go Buckeyes!!! Beat the Gators!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    ...and what reliable source do you have for that statement. There was one website that reported that my fellow Ohio resident. Did you notice that No major tech website or media news service carried that story? Why? Because it was a statement made by a guy with a website, and someone in this forum linked to it. Yet you blindly quote it as if it were a given fact. Could it have happened? Yes, but I think if that had been true, we would have heard a lot more about it. Many. many others here, including myself cried B.S. at that story.

A few people have had the lag issues with the 680, by no means has it been a consensus here. Did you try to exchange it for a new one? I am on my 2nd 680 bacause of a phone issue bacause I know as an early adopter that there may be a problem with early units, even with massive testing, (Case in point - PS 3, Nintendo Wii, etc)

Nice try, but your argument is weak at best. I wish you all the best with your 650. Oh, and Go Buckeyes!!! Beat the Gators!!!
    Engadget Mobile is a pretty reliable site. They are referred to in Businessweek and other media outlets quite often. Here is where I first read about this issue. http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/1...000-treo-680s/ I have not tried to exchange the 680. Might be worth a shot. As a MSU Spartan ..... Go Gators!!!
    Last edited by gadgetjunkies; 12/03/2006 at 07:06 PM.
    Engadget has been known to fumble, like less than a week ago when they incorrectly assumed Palm's financial year follows the calendar year.
    As much as it pains me, being an Auburn fan, GO GATORS! I think Ohio will have more than they can handle from the SEC.

Now as far as the 680 goes....I thought about returning mine and going back to the 650 but my 650's beat up pretty good. It still works but cosmetically it needs a face lift.

If not the 680, what? I thought about the BlackJack but you have battery issues and Windows Mobile. I thought about the Blackberry 8700 but the data package is considerably more expensive then what I have.

I never did like the antenna on the 650 and with the car chargers, cradles and software the 680 is the best fit for me. I'll take what few issues exist with the 680 over ALL the issues that surrounded the 650 when it was first released.

With Palm's track record and the third-party industry such as Seidio, most of these minor blips will be resolved quickly. Leaving us with only the keyboard to get used to.
    I'm thinking of a Blackberry Pearl.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I just sold my BB8700g for the 680. I played around with the Pearl at TMO and didn't like the keyboard....very rubbery/wobbly if that makes sense. The casing felt like cheap plastic to me. The size is great and to each his own....the best thing is being able to play around with one in person.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    As much as it pains me, being an Auburn fan, GO GATORS! I think Ohio will have more than they can handle from the SEC.

Now as far as the 680 goes....I thought about returning mine and going back to the 650 but my 650's beat up pretty good. It still works but cosmetically it needs a face lift.

If not the 680, what? I thought about the BlackJack but you have battery issues and Windows Mobile. I thought about the Blackberry 8700 but the data package is considerably more expensive then what I have.

I never did like the antenna on the 650 and with the car chargers, cradles and software the 680 is the best fit for me. I'll take what few issues exist with the 680 over ALL the issues that surrounded the 650 when it was first released.

With Palm's track record and the third-party industry such as Seidio, most of these minor blips will be resolved quickly. Leaving us with only the keyboard to get used to.
    Hopefully so. Time will tell.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Funny, I thought the same thing, back when the Pearl came out. So I got one. Damn fine phone, but I was too used to the Treo and missed it too much. So I gave it up and now I am back with the 680.

If you want a BB Pearl, and want to save me the trouble of listing it on ebay, contact me backchannel and we'll talk.
    I just got my Treo 680 and I am not having any problems with the keyboard layout. Sometimes, I still want to push the red end button for menu, but as the days go on (it's only been 2 full days so far) I am starting to remember that the menu is on the bottom right side. So far, I love my new copper Treo 680!
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    I just sold my BB8700g for the 680. I played around with the Pearl at TMO and didn't like the keyboard....very rubbery/wobbly if that makes sense. The casing felt like cheap plastic to me. The size is great and to each his own....the best thing is being able to play around with one in person.
    dont let oalvarez see you type that.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.