1.    #1  
    So I've been getting great results using USBmodem (1.5) by mobile-stream.com. And I usually get this by using my PowerBook (12 inch 1.5GHz) via the USB port. It's been practucally flawless.

BUT not any more, since I installed the security update yesterday (I intentionally waited a few days before installing since I was traveling and wasn't willing to take chances). Now it it's been giving me download speeds in the 25-60kbps range instead of the normal 500-900 range (uploading is still in the 50-100 and that's average or better). I've even tried my external antenna for the 700p (no help).

I've put nothing new on my 700P in ages except NVSbackup but it worked fine for days using that while I was traveling. Once problems started I even disabled auto backups and rebooted but no difference. And nothing new installed on the PowerBook (except the security update).

It could just be reception in my home area (I waited until I was home to run the update) but the last few weeks I've had great reception. I specifically had lunch at the nearby Wendy's that normally has incredible speeds (800-1000kbps).

Have any Mac people noticed a decrease since this update...?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 12/03/2006 at 02:05 PM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  2.    #2  
    So no one else has had this problem?

I'm actually getting a little better throughput today (I broke 100 and one speed test, but only once give me just under 200) but I'm at the place that I usually get 900-ish for my download speeds without an external antenna (and I'm not getting much better with the antenna).

It's possible that something change around here at the same time I let the update run, but it sure seems coincidental. I traveled half-way across the state getting pretty good results no matter where I was (intentionally not running the update), I get home let it run the update and I immediately start getting significantly lower speeds....

Mobile-stream did respond and say they've had few Linux complaints (something in the pppd process) but I was the first Mac user.

Just trying to determine if it's just me, my phone, the Dearborn/Detroit or some other odd coincidence....

Anyone...?
    Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I've installed the security update and have not had any problems. In fact, I'm tethered via USBmodem as I type this. I've also got a 12"PB running 10.4.8

FWIW, DSLreports has clocked me at the following depending on location (I'm on my train ride home)

599/97
    90/30
    102/21
    242/29
    298/49

I'll have to try some stationary speeds once I get home.