Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Absolutely HATE HATE HATE the flashing LED. I almost sent my 650 back when I realized there was no "off" button for this incredibly annoying "feature". It was only when I discovered LEDOff (should be named SomethingElse-Off, methinks) that I decided I could keep it.

I understand some folks want/need it, fine, but if it is brought back, it better damn well be a preference. Even LEDOff didn't work perfectly -- stupid, annoying flashing would come back on every now and then, all on its own.

Like I suspect most people, I am rarely if ever out of coverage, so basically, the blinking would happen for the entire lifetime of my using the device, with no means to turn it off. What sense is that???
    AMEN! The flashing is so annoying, first thing I turned off on the 650. Why waste battery life to flash an LED in network when it flashes red when out of network?
    It should have been an option in pref's. That would make everyone happy.

~Christopher
    (who misses the 650's tricolor LED that, thanks to Butler, gave me a steady orange light when I had a missed call or message)
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I guess I was the only one who's 650 would power the phone off randomly and used the blinking LED to make sure the phone was still on.

I like to know when the phone is on without having to do anything. Most if not all non-smartphones show something to indicate the phone is on. The 680 doesn't anymore. I also don't like the fact the LED is harder to see from an angle.
    I would very much like my flashing LED back.. Now I cant look across the room to see if I have anything waiting.. this REALLY PISSES ME OFF!
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    No flash means it's on the network as long as the phone is turned on.
    ...As long as the battery still has charge; which doesn't seem to be very long nowadays!

For me a a flashing or steady light (as with my old 600) gives positive feedback that "something's working". Without positive feedback, who knows what could be the current state - maybe the phone is completely dead.
    I hated the flashing LED, and used software to turn it off.

What I don't understand is why people need the LED to see what the phone is doing from across the room. When I am in a meeting, I switch to vibrate, and when something happens, I get a jiggle in my pants.

I have been in a zillion meetings and have yet to be in one so important and/or engrossing that when my pants started jiggling, I couldn't pull my phone out to see what's up.
    If I throw a stick, will you go away?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
    I guess I was the only one who's 650 would power the phone off randomly and used the blinking LED to make sure the phone was still on.

I like to know when the phone is on without having to do anything. Most if not all non-smartphones show something to indicate the phone is on. The 680 doesn't anymore. I also don't like the fact the LED is harder to see from an angle.
    Agree with both of these points. These were 680 dealbreakers for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leakylegsrider View Post
    I hated the flashing LED, and used software to turn it off.

What I don't understand is why people need the LED to see what the phone is doing from across the room. When I am in a meeting, I switch to vibrate, and when something happens, I get a jiggle in my pants.

I have been in a zillion meetings and have yet to be in one so important and/or engrossing that when my pants started jiggling, I couldn't pull my phone out to see what's up.
    People can hear the jiggle in your pants, I've found.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean jingle. I meant jiggle as in wiggle or "a slight irregular shaking motion."

I guess its possible for someone to hear jiggling in my pants. Its just never happened before.
    Making a UI like so:

Flashing LED:

Radio [on] [off]
    sms [on] [off]
    email [on] [off]
    bluetooth [on] [off]

is a no brainer.. come on Palm!

To remove a feature is presumptuous (kind of like leakylegsrider's post) . It should be user tog-able
    -tgwaste
    Presumptuous?

I didn't realize that trying to understand someone else's point of view was presumptuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by leakylegsrider View Post
    What I don't understand is why people need the LED to see what the phone is doing from across the room.
    waking up in the morning, after getting out of the shower, and leaving the phone on my desk at work (silent, no vibrate) are the three times i find a flashing LED most useful, off the top of my head.

the other option is to power up the phone's screen to check for missed calls, txt's, etc. as battery life on this phone is already being criticized, i'd like to avoid doing that.
    Personally, I always hated the LED. Any time I had a preference for it, I turned it off. Having it configurable would naturally be the best of all worlds. Left to my own devices, I'd enjoy having it turn red while charging and otherwise be silent.
    Flasher is the spawn of evil.
    I'm confused by the comments. Does the Treo 680 have no LED? Or, does the LED not function like the 650's?

Steve
    It has a LED, *almost* like the 650.
    However, it will only blink red when out of network coverage, have a steady red light when being charged and have a steady green light when charging is completed (but the phone is still connected to the charger/cradle).
    Furthermore, the LED is only viewable when you are facing the front of the phone.
    So no blinking green LED when you have network coverage, orange colored light is not available at all, and according to several developers it's close to impossible to "hack" the LED to perform differently than the factory setting.

~Christopher
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    At this point, anything that uses the battery that is an extra drain can't be looked as a good use of the limited battery we have.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    (Reporter on evening news) "Several Treo 680 owners were gathered in front of Palm headquarters this morning, and were heard to be chanting 'TURN IT OFF... TURN IT OFF...'"
    for those who used a flashing LED as notification of having missed something, i installed butler and can confirm that you can at *least* set the program to show a constant green (as opposed to the LED being off while not charging) when you have missed something. further, butler's 'nag' feature which alerts you every X number of minutes when you have missed something also works.
    Quote Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
    for those who used a flashing LED as notification of having missed something, i installed butler and can confirm that you can at *least* set the program to show a constant green (as opposed to the LED being off while not charging) when you have missed something. further, butler's 'nag' feature which alerts you every X number of minutes when you have missed something also works.
    K, well.. atleast this contradicts 'grenness's Post regarding it being almost impossible to 'hack' the LED.

Isnt Butler kind of bulky though? Hopefully someone will make a simple App to reenable the LED for certain things.
    -tgwaste
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast