1.    #1  
    Is anyone experiencing refresh issues? They seem to coincide with a delay imo. While I can deal with the delay a bit, the refresh issues are pissing me off a bit.

side note: On the Agenda view of the Calender I no longer have the sun or moon displayed in the appointsment area. I dont know what happen but I cant seem to get them back.
  2.    #2  
    I guess its just me..

On a side note the Sun and Moon in the Agenda view started to show up again. Strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    Is anyone experiencing refresh issues? They seem to coincide with a delay imo. While I can deal with the delay a bit, the refresh issues are pissing me off a bit.

side note: On the Agenda view of the Calender I no longer have the sun or moon displayed in the appointsment area. I dont know what happen but I cant seem to get them back.
    Did you install from a previous Treo Device? Did you do a "Clean Install" per the sticky at the top of the 680 forum? If not, I would suggest a hard reset, and starting over with a clean install. some of the behaviors you mention sound like the result of Hotsyncing backup data from a previous Treo device. Others that have had the refresh and delay issues, as will as PIM data issues were because of this.

Best,

Matt
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  4.    #4  
    This was a clean install. Even a new desktop that has never had Palm software / Hotsync on it. Then I picked the *.PRC and *.PDB that I wanted from my old T3 backups on the old machine and hotsync'd them.
    What do you mean by refresh? Do you mean a lag? If so, others have noted this. I believe in the calendar you only see the sun or moon if you have no appointments remaining for the day.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    What do you mean by refresh? Do you mean a lag? If so, others have noted this. I believe in the calendar you only see the sun or moon if you have no appointments remaining for the day.
    Refresh - When lagging teh screen is white and when it returns sometimes the screen is not displayed properly.

sun/moon - That would make sense. I dont think I had appointments when this was happenning.
    This was a clean install. Even a new desktop that has never had Palm software / Hotsync on it. Then I picked the *.PRC and *.PDB that I wanted from my old T3 backups on the old machine and hotsync'd them.

I hate to sound redundant, but installing apps from a backup may be causing your issues. I would defer to those who know much more about this than me, but the "Clean Install" mentions clearly NOT to install apps form a Backup, but from an original file, or to find the newest or updated version of the apps. One of the apps installed from the backup may be the cause of the lag. Sometimes the issues show right away, sometimes it may take days or weeks.

The only reason I mention this is that I originally installed by the method that the manual instructs (install over 650 backup), and it resulted in an issue that Palm and Cingular said was not related (Not a lag, but a very Fed up phone issue). It took 5 days before this problem showed, and before that the Treo was working with no problems, other than an occasional "hiccup" between app screens, which I had seen with my 650. With my new 680 (exchanged at Cingular, I did the step-by-step clean install, and have had a Treo that is performing flawlessly, for which I have to thank Perry and other members of this forum, which is why I am "spreading the word".

IMHO, I am convinced that at least 50% (very conservative estimate) of the performance issues that we are seeing noted in these threads are due to installing over an old backup, and reinstalling apps from old backups as well. This is not at all the fault of the user, because no wehere in the manual does it discuss the method that Perry and the others here have been so helpful with. Why? I have no idea!!!
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Is there a way of doing a zero-out reset on the 680 if we want to go back to factory-fresh conditions to reinstall?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Is there a way of doing a zero-out reset on the 680 if we want to go back to factory-fresh conditions to reinstall?
    Yes. This is known as a hard reset. Hold down the on/off button while pulling out the battery and putting it back in. After the fist boott sequence bar completes and you see the access logo, let go of the on/off button, and you will see the choice to touch "up" on the 5 way to clear all data and start from scratch.
    Rewards Network

Well, unless the 680 is drastically different from the others, a hard reset is not exactly the same as a zero out. Are you sure what you describe results in a true zero-out reset? It sounds like a standard hard reset and replicates essentially a hard reset in a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Well, unless the 680 is drastically different from the others, a hard reset is not exactly the same as a zero out. Are you sure what you describe results in a true zero-out reset? It sounds like a standard hard reset and replicates essentially a hard reset in a 650.

Yes. This actualy takes you all the way back to the "SELECT LANGUAGE" setting and factory zero settings. I am on my secnod 680 and worked with level 3 tech support and had to do this a few times with my first before I exchanged it for the new one. I know it is different from the 650, but this is what the "zero out" is.
    Rewards Network

Aha. Thanks. Sounds like you had some serious problems.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I hate to sound redundant, but installing apps from a backup may be causing your issues. I would defer to those who know much more about this than me, but the "Clean Install" mentions clearly NOT to install apps form a Backup, but from an original file, or to find the newest or updated version of the apps. One of the apps installed from the backup may be the cause of the lag. Sometimes the issues show right away, sometimes it may take days or weeks.

The only reason I mention this is that I originally installed by the method that the manual instructs (install over 650 backup), and it resulted in an issue that Palm and Cingular said was not related (Not a lag, but a very Fed up phone issue). It took 5 days before this problem showed, and before that the Treo was working with no problems, other than an occasional "hiccup" between app screens, which I had seen with my 650. With my new 680 (exchanged at Cingular, I did the step-by-step clean install, and have had a Treo that is performing flawlessly, for which I have to thank Perry and other members of this forum, which is why I am "spreading the word".

IMHO, I am convinced that at least 50% (very conservative estimate) of the performance issues that we are seeing noted in these threads are due to installing over an old backup, and reinstalling apps from old backups as well. This is not at all the fault of the user, because no wehere in the manual does it discuss the method that Perry and the others here have been so helpful with. Why? I have no idea!!!

So what you are saying is that any *.PRC or *.PDB or any file really that was used on a different Palm device should not be installed on new version of the Palm OS Treo or not?

You are also saying that I should go download or re-buy any app I want so that I can install a fresh copy of the file that suppossedly hasnt been used on any Palm OS device.

What is the difference between a backup (something used to back up the Palm?) and the original file?
    So what you are saying is that any *.PRC or *.PDB or any file really that was used on a different Palm device should not be installed on new version of the Palm OS Treo or not?

You are also saying that I should go download or re-buy any app I want so that I can install a fresh copy of the file that suppossedly hasnt been used on any Palm OS device.

What is the difference between a backup (something used to back up the Palm?) and the original file?

This is not exactly what I said, and there are others that know much more than I about this, since this is this forum where I have learned about this process. From what I have been told, and IMO, the reason I am experiencing a flawless Treo, is that I am not installing *.PRC or *.PDB files from the BACKUP of the previous device. I have the original App files from when I purchased them in a file on my computer or on a thumbdrive, and I reinstalled them 1 or 2 at a time (from the original purchased files) to make sure that they are stable on the 680. I am not saying that you have to repurchase them. If the app is not stable, I have emailed the company for an upgrade, which in most cases, I can get the upgrade at no additional charge. I keep a record of every software purchase I ever make.

To be honest, I do not know what the difference is between installing from the backup of a previous device and installing from the original file, other than there are members here much wiser than me who warn against it, and now that I have listened to them I am having a wonderful Treo experience. I am on my 10th Palm device, and this is by far the best performance I have had out of one so far.

HTH,

Matt
    Rewards Network