Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I really like the form factor of my new 680 (Copper). But it really screwed things up right out of the box. Duplicated ALL my calendar items on the Exchange Server and duplicated some contacts as well. So now, I've got some work ahead of me to clean this up.

Moreover, it has been cumbersome getting back to the Palm OS. The synchronization in general is really quite antiquated. While I really like the device, it looks like a bit more trouble than it's worth.

So, I have poorer signal strength than anticipated and a royal screwer of my data on the Exchange Server. Looks like this is one that's heading back. I like the seemless integration that Palm doesn't seem to provide with this device.
    David
    that does not bode well...:-/ hmmm
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
  3.    #3  
    Well, it did not duplicate SOME of my contacts on the Exchange Server. It duplicated ALL of them. Moreover, it did not just duplicate all my appointments (past and present) on the server, it move some dates to the wrong place. For example, an appointment that took place six months ago was moved to today.

It is frustrating trying to clean this up. I would think if Palm wants this device to be used in the enterprise setting, there would be safeguards with this.
    David
    are you sure all the settings was done correctly?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter View Post
    are you sure all the settings was done correctly?
    Once you set the option to synchronize, the treo takes it from there. When I had a Treo 650 it didn't do well either. I thought there were improvements.
    David
    dammit, i rely on my work email exchange server i cant have this thing wigging out on me!

Now i'm thinking should i have bought a 750v instead
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter View Post
    dammit, i rely on my work email exchange server i cant have this thing wigging out on me!

Now i'm thinking should i have bought a 750v instead
    I need my exchange server. I was willing to give up PUSH email because I like the Treo 680 format. But I am going back to a Windows device for sure. I'll send the 680 back. Too bad! It is a great looking device.
    David
    that is the one redeeming thing about WM5, you can utilize PUSH
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    What did you do wrong?? I have to sync with my Exchange Server and would like to avoid this problem. I've had it before and it sucks!

~J.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by FourtyEightFan View Post
    What did you do wrong?? I have to sync with my Exchange Server and would like to avoid this problem. I've had it before and it sucks!

~J.
    I'm not sure what exactly happened. I simply followed the prompts to set up synchronization with the server. I really like the 680 as a phone. The form factor is great. But setting up with AS & Exchange is not very intuitive. It is not clear what is happening from step to step. In the final analysis, I had to spend a couple hours cleaning up the mess it created.

Apart from the duplication, some of the same old limitations of the Palm OS are affecting the utility of the device for enterprise purposes. For example, more than one category creates a problem. Apparently, there is also a limination on how far back you can sync your inbox. On the WM devices, you can synchronize all - regardless of how old they are. I could not even find an option for that on the 680. So, ultimately it does not seem like a workable option for those of us who depend on the Exchange Server.
    David
    Perhaps you should take a look at PocketMirror Professional at chapura.com.
    at the Treo level

Undupe, my preferred utility. You can clean this up on the demo version.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...d=1&prodID=756
    or

at the Desktop level

http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outloo...Eliminator.asp
    and

http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outloo...Eliminator.asp

and they have other utilities for other parts of Outlook.

Of course, I have never created these isues myself! and it's not the POS either...
    I have an exchange server and have had no problems. The Treo 680 handles it fine. You just have to make sure that on your very first synchronization that your device has not items in the database and that it synchronizes from the server. It works great once you get the fist synch done.
    Quote Originally Posted by defii View Post
    Well, it did not duplicate SOME of my contacts on the Exchange Server. It duplicated ALL of them. Moreover, it did not just duplicate all my appointments (past and present) on the server, it move some dates to the wrong place. For example, an appointment that took place six months ago was moved to today.
    Out of curiosity, what were you using to sync? Hotsync? VersaMail?
    I need my exchange server. I was willing to give up PUSH email because I like the Treo 680 format. But I am going back to a Windows device for sure. I'll send the 680 back. Too bad! It is a great looking device.
    In a word: ChatterEmail

Why they haven't dumped VersaMail yet is beyond me.
    On the WM devices, you can synchronize all - regardless of how old they are. I could not even find an option for that on the 680. So, ultimately it does not seem like a workable option for those of us who depend on the Exchange Server.
    ChatterEmail does push from Exchange (either native API or IMAP-based) w/o trouble. I don't know what the status of the OTA PIM sync is, but I've been doing hotsync (bluetooth) for calendar and contacts w/o any problems. VersaMail is just problematic, so I avoid it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    ChatterEmail does push from Exchange (either native API or IMAP-based) w/o trouble. I don't know what the status of the OTA PIM sync is, but I've been doing hotsync (bluetooth) for calendar and contacts w/o any problems. VersaMail is just problematic, so I avoid it.
    So, your solution has been to sync contacts, calendar items etc with your desktop, but to get your email via ChatterEmail? So then, you don't have true synchronization with the Exchange Server?
    David
    So, your solution has been to sync contacts, calendar items etc with your desktop, but to get your email via ChatterEmail? So then, you don't have true synchronization with the Exchange Server?
    Would I prefer to be doing live calendaring? Yes, but Good caused too many problems on our 650's. Marc has been good enough to at least allow for meeting request handling in Chatter, which is usually the only thing I absolutely need right away.

I may play with ActiveSync (VersaMail), but I'm really much more interested in a separate development related to Chatter which is expected to provide push PIM updates from Exchange, much the way ChatterMail EX handles it now.

But, for now, my calendar and contacts only get sync'ed periodically. On the other hand, I don't wrestle with duplicate or moving calendar items either.
    Well, I decided to have a go and set up calendar sync using VersaMail. It seems to get stupid and lose it's server connection mid-stream every now and again, but it synced by calendar just fine -- contact sync won't happen until I get my 680 on Monday/Tuesday.

One word of advice... when it says "I'm going to clear your PIM DB".... LET IT. My guess is that's why you got all the dupes. If there are entries on both sides, it'll sync two way. Once you've done the first one-way sync, though, all should be good.
    Well, I really like the form factor of my new 680 (Copper). But it really screwed things up right out of the box. Duplicated ALL my calendar items on the Exchange Server and duplicated some contacts as well. So now, I've got some work ahead of me to clean this up.

Moreover, it has been cumbersome getting back to the Palm OS. The synchronization in general is really quite antiquated. While I really like the device, it looks like a bit more trouble than it's worth.

So, I have poorer signal strength than anticipated and a royal screwer of my data on the Exchange Server. Looks like this is one that's heading back. I like the seemless integration that Palm doesn't seem to provide with this device.
    Not good. When I got my 650 that came with Versmail, I tried to sync using Exchange and the same thing happened to me. I was soooo annoyed. I was hoping the 680 would be improved but..doesn't sound like it...

My 680 being delivered tomorrow may not last to long before it's sent back.
    Brandon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast