Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I gotta say I was expecting FAR better reception on the 680 I tried out today. Visited the Palm Store @ Valley Fair (San Jose, CA) and got a chance to play with several 680s (no graphite, unfortunately).

The shop allowed me to transfer my T-Mobile SIM Card from my Treo 600 into the 680. I should note that T-Mobile reception on the 600 was almost non-existent in the Palm Store itself, but intermittent immediately outside their front door.

So, when I had the 680 with my SIM Card in it, I asked to be able to walk around and outside the front door.

Alas, while the 680 had slightly better luck getting a signal from T-Mobile, it was no where near acceptable. Cingular folks in the store had no problem getting signal on their phones I noticed, so the fault is not totally Palm's, but geeze - with all the hype about the wonderful radio chip in the 680, I had expected to finally be less concerned about my "lock" to T-Mobile...

Oh, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    I gotta say I was expecting FAR better reception on the 680 I tried out today. Visited the Palm Store @ Valley Fair (San Jose, CA) and got a chance to play with several 680s (no graphite, unfortunately).

The shop allowed me to transfer my T-Mobile SIM Card from my Treo 600 into the 680. I should note that T-Mobile reception on the 600 was almost non-existent in the Palm Store itself, but intermittent immediately outside their front door.

So, when I had the 680 with my SIM Card in it, I asked to be able to walk around and outside the front door.

Alas, while the 680 had slightly better luck getting a signal from T-Mobile, it was no where near acceptable. Cingular folks in the store had no problem getting signal on their phones I noticed, so the fault is not totally Palm's, but geeze - with all the hype about the wonderful radio chip in the 680, I had expected to finally be less concerned about my "lock" to T-Mobile...

Oh, well...

someone correct me if i am wrong, but doesnt tmobile use cingulars towers in CA?

Alas, while the 680 had slightly better luck getting a signal from T-Mobile, it was no where near acceptable.

you yourself say the 680 picked up the singal better than the 600, and yet think the radio chip is not great? The chip wont do any magic if you are in a dead spot!
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    no it's the other way around. Cingular is piggybacking on t-mo's network that they bought off cingular.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    What?
    That's confusing...
    Cingular is using T-Mobiles network towers that T-Mobile bought from Cingular??
    Well, I want to compare apples with apples - i.e. T-Mobile signal to T-Moible signal. I have the HTC TyTn. It's my favorite Windows Mobile 5 device. Compartively speaking, it gets a significantly better signal than my new 680. I just set up the 680 within the last couple hours. I've heard so much about signal strength on the 680 that I expected more.

I have the copper...
    David
    yes. part of the FCC requirement for them to acquire ATT wireless back in the day was to dives some of their asset. That asset being the existing Cingular network. So they sold that to t-mobile, with the agreement that they could still be on the network till they finish building out their newly acquired ATT network.

Cingular has been slowly building and migrating their customers off T-mo's network and should be completely off their network and onto their "blue" network by 2007
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Not sure if Valley Fair has T-Mobile kiosk/stores, but I know there are more then a couple Cingular vendor in there. I'm sure the signal would have to be good for Cingular or else it would be hard to sell their phones and services. Just a thought.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
    Not sure if Valley Fair has T-Mobile kiosk/stores, but I know there are more then a couple Cingular vendor in there. I'm sure the signal would have to be good for Cingular or else it would be hard to sell their phones and services. Just a thought.
    Well, I'm not sure who owns what towers, but I have two phones. One is with T-Mobile and the other with Cingular. Almost everywhere I go I get a better Cingular signal. In fact, there are places here in the San Francisco Bay Area where I get virtually no T-Mo signal and get a full Cingular signal.
    David
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    kunjan> you yourself say the 680 picked up the singal better than the 600, and yet think the radio chip is not great? The chip wont do any magic if you are in a dead spot!

As I said, it's not totally Palm's fault given the shoddy T-Mobile signal inside the Palm store. All I'm saying is that the Treo 680 - while slightly better than my Treo 600 - was still unacceptable.

thxac3> Not sure if Valley Fair has T-Mobile kiosk/stores, but I know there are more then a couple Cingular vendor in there. I'm sure the signal would have to be good for Cingular or else it would be hard to sell their phones and services. Just a thought.

Indeed, the Palm Store (it's got a real store, not a kiosk) is above 80 feet from a T-Mobile "authorized dealer" kiosk - both downstairs. Phones at the T-Mobile kiosk (I definately used the Blackberry Pearl there with no problems) were showing 3 bars and easily able to make/receive calls.

Not only that, but the actual T-Mobile "store" is just upstairs from the Palm Store. Again, no problem getting signal there.

As for the "vaunted claims" of the Treo 680's radio see this url and this url. The Broadcom chip in question is detailed at this url.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well, I can't speak for CA but over in CT I have never heard a better phone. Litterally!! I have a solid signal inside every building, in my home, up and down every hill and valley. While visiting VA it was no different. People didn't even realize I was on a cell phone. It is crystal clear and mint. I love it! Again, I can't speak for Cally, but over on the east coast, even in rural and hilly areas, better than any cell I've every used.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Well, I can't speak for CA but over in CT I have never heard a better phone. Litterally!! I have a solid signal inside every building, in my home, up and down every hill and valley. While visiting VA it was no different. People didn't even realize I was on a cell phone. It is crystal clear and mint. I love it! Again, I can't speak for Cally, but over on the east coast, even in rural and hilly areas, better than any cell I've every used.

By the way, my comments were not meant to suggest that the 680 has poor call quality. I am speaking only of the signal strength in a given location as compared with another device (TyTn) on the same network. Where the signal is good, the actuall quality of the call is stellar.
    David
    Keep in mind that Cingular uses the 850Mhz network while T-Mo does not. This could account for the reason why you sometimes get better reception with Cinggy over T-mo.

Yes, yes, I know... T-Mo will roam on the 850Mhz network. But only in a few remote areas in California. See their coverage map for the areas where you will/can roam on 850.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/

~J.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    I gotta say I was expecting FAR better reception on the 680 I tried out today. ... Alas, while the 680 had slightly better luck getting a signal from T-Mobile, it was no where near acceptable. Cingular folks in the store had no problem getting signal on their phones I noticed, so the fault is not totally Palm's, but geeze - with all the hype about the wonderful radio chip in the 680, I had expected to finally be less concerned about my "lock" to T-Mobile...
    Well, I haven't seen a radio chipset yet that can create signal and connectivity from nothing. I guess it says something that the 680 did better than the 600 in finding available signal -- which was apparently part of the improvement. But I think you got it right when you said "the fault is not totally Palm's". In fact, I'd go further and say, "the fault is mostly TMo's."
    If you get service, the sound quality on TMO is superior to Cingular, IMO. BUT, Cingular gets service in MANY places that TMO doesn't. You can't beat the penetration of 850 vs. 1900. Thats' why VZW and Cingular have the best nationwide coverage and the highest rates. Same is true in Europe. The 900mhz carriers have a better signal than the 1800mhz carriers. (But both are MUCH better there.)