1.    #1  
    Will I see a noticeable difference in read/write speeds if I buy a regular SD card compared to the newer x150 or x133 cards on the market? What about brand name cards compared to generic ones? I know the 680s claim to only be compatible with 2gig SD cards but I remember hearing that members were able to use the 4gig ones.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    You typically won't see a speed difference in an SD card that is Hot Sync'd for read write. You will if you use a separate card reader - which if you are planning on using a 4GB card - I'd recommend. Hot Sync limits the speed more so because the write has to go through the processor as well as the "funnel" of the device. If you plan on filling a 4GB card in one fell swoop via a hot sync - it won't make any difference. Start the sync - walk away and come back after at least an hour. Do it via a card reader and it'll probably take a few minutes.

Palm officially supports only 2GB cards - your mileage may vary and it may vary by manufacturer of the card so I'm not going to bother about it yet.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    to speed up the card reformat it as follows:

format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

(where E: is your drive where the card is inserted on your PC).

This increased my card speed by factor of 4.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    to speed up the card reformat it as follows:

format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

(where E: is your drive where the card is inserted on your PC).

This increased my card speed by factor of 4.
    Could you elaborate a little about why the formatting would increase the speed of the card?
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    larger sectors. try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    You typically won't see a speed difference in an SD card that is Hot Sync'd for read write. You will if you use a separate card reader - which if you are planning on using a 4GB card - I'd recommend. Hot Sync limits the speed more so because the write has to go through the processor as well as the "funnel" of the device. If you plan on filling a 4GB card in one fell swoop via a hot sync - it won't make any difference. Start the sync - walk away and come back after at least an hour. Do it via a card reader and it'll probably take a few minutes.

Palm officially supports only 2GB cards - your mileage may vary and it may vary by manufacturer of the card so I'm not going to bother about it yet.
    ....this just in, my 4gb us modular card worked fine in the treo 680

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
    I know the 680s claim to only be compatible with 2gig SD cards but I remember hearing that members were able to use the 4gig ones.

Where do you find the documentation that states that Palm supports only 2 GB SD Cards?
    Does the speed of the card have anything to do with performance, for example, in playing a movie or an emulated game?
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithBryanJ View Post
    Does the speed of the card have anything to do with performance, for example, in playing a movie or an emulated game?
    No, but deleting songs in pTunes is a hell lot faster with a 2GB card than a 4GB.

I am going to try the format trick tonight.
    So then having Extreme, Ultra, or 150X in the name doesn't really mean much other than being able to write files to the card slightly faster? This doesn't affect the performance of files running from the card?
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
    Will I see a noticeable difference in read/write speeds if I buy a regular SD card compared to the newer x150 or x133 cards on the market? What about brand name cards compared to generic ones? I know the 680s claim to only be compatible with 2gig SD cards but I remember hearing that members were able to use the 4gig ones.
    I actualy read that some are able to use an 8GB in the 680.
    google around.
    as for me i have an Adata 4GB SDcard and its not that fast in the Treo but on my computer its very quick.
    i was thinking maybe if i OC the slot with PXA Clocker it should speed things up but since i only have Pax clocker lite. its not allowing that.

"So then having Extreme, Ultra, or 150X in the name doesn't really mean much other than being able to write files to the card slightly faster? This doesn't affect the performance of files running from the card?"

It makes a big difference when you have the correct hardware to support it. Naturally deleting a large number of files will go seemingly slower on the 650 because its hardware is dated & larger cards have to allocate more memory. In general the cards perform well especially when you consider you now have double the space. Further more you will start to appreciate the faster cards when you use your pc’s card reader with 4 and 8GB cards. It is very important that you use a compatible card reader. Don’t just get any because its priced low.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 12/19/2006 at 06:47 PM.
    So if an 8GB SDHC card works with the 680, would it be safe to say a 4GB SDHC one should as well?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News