1.    #1  
    I was told by a Cingular employee that if you get the 680 you should also get a new SIM card. Apparently it will offer better reception.

Can anyone confirm this and explain why/how?
    If you have the old 32MB card, you should upgrade to the 64MB card. I went in to Cingular when I was having a problem with my old one and they just gave me a new one. I don't think they'll make you pay for a new one (well, they shouldn't).
  3. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    i wonder if this is the same with t-mob.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    They also automatically renew your contract when you get a new sim card. They told me that when they wanted to change my older ATT sim for the newer 3G Cingular SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juancuero View Post
    They also automatically renew your contract when you get a new sim card. They told me that when they wanted to change my older ATT sim for the newer 3G Cingular SIM.
    Right. I got a new SIM card on my old phone recently, and just put that in my new 680. I didn't need to go through the whole activation malarkey that Cingular want you to do.
    How can I tell if my sim card is 32 or 64?
    I'm on T-Mobile and I've had this sim for about 3 years.
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    How can I tell if my sim card is 32 or 64?
    I'm on T-Mobile and I've had this sim for about 3 years.
    Me too, around 3 years.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So I can just walk into a Cing store and ask them for a newer SIM card? I hope they dont charge me...
    That may be the policy, but they didn't do it to me. In fact, they didn't even take my name or phone number, they just changed it out after copying the info from the old to the new and handed it to me.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    They don't extend your contract simply for getting a new SIM.

Now, if you are replacing an ATT SIM with an ORANGE SIM, that's a different issue. In this case, you are changing from the old ATT BLUE system to the CINGULAR ORANGE system. Extending you contract isn't a surprise in this case.
    My SIM I'm transferring from a non-Treo Cingular phone says 64k on it so guess I'm good to go.
    so is it suppose to be a 64K or 64MB? I have 64K
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    Were you on the AT&T Charter Plan? I would hate to loose my plan just for a SIM card upgrade. I'm holding off until AT&T comes back. Since the 680 is not a 3g device, I don't think upgrading your SIM will improve the speed of the EDGE data, not sure about reception though.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I was just a normal ATT customer. About the reception though, the change would have helped that in my case. I have a cell tower that is close to me that is a Cingular tower. The ATT tower is farther away but my phone always seemed to connect to the farther tower giving me always 2 bars. Even after two companies merged this was the case. If I manually selected the Cingular tower I would get 4 bars. If I travelled out of the area and returned I would be back on the ATT tower.

The other family phones that I have are all on Cingular and they get 4 bars. When I eventually added a Cingular account for myself I was back to 4 bars again with the same phone. Go figure. It wasn't a phone hardware issue.
    Wow... can't believe there's still no much mystery around this. Back when I first got my 650 came the time when I switched from ATTWS service to Cingular. The so-called "orange" SIM includes functionality -- ENS: Enhanced Network Selection -- that essentially adds the capability for the phone's radio to hand a call off between different cell networks and treat them as if they were all the "home" network. In the case where different network ID's overlap (less the case nowadays, as Cingular have been "adjusting" their cell sites, but it was very frequent when the merger first happened), the phone will choose the one serving the best signal. IIRC, it also enhances the ability to hand off a call in these situations without dropping the call.

When I was still using the "blue" ATTWS SIM with my Nokia 6820 (post merger), I would wander into cell areas where I would very predictably drop calls despite having excellent signal. After inserting the Orange SIM into my Nokia (and then later my 650), this problem evaporated entirely.

If you haven't seen one of these, they are indeed orange in appearance. On it is print the text "64K Smart Chip" and the cingular logo & name. Image is attached. I'd apologize for the crappy resolution, but you're used to that by now if you're using a 650 or 680.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here is the way it works:

If you have a 32k AT&T SIM card, you only have access to the old AT&T towers.

If you have a 32k Cingular SIM card, you only have access to the old Cingular towers (before the merger).

If you have a 64k Cingular SIM card or the new "3G" Cingular SIM card, then you have access to all the towers.

So far as I can tell, there is no difference between the 64k and 3G cards. Plenty of people over at howardforums report having 3G access on their Blackjacks with only a 64k SIM card.
    Has anyone suceeded to have their AT&T SIM changed to a 3G 64K Cingular SIM without having to give up their AT&T charter plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Has anyone suceeded to have their AT&T SIM changed to a 3G 64K Cingular SIM without having to give up their AT&T charter plan?
    Back when I first made the switch, I believe the big deal was that changing to the Cingular SIM required you to drop the AT&T plan you were on, whatever it was. My best advice to you is to go check out the Cingular user forums (on cingular.com). There were hundreds of discussion threads about this topic about two years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    So far as I can tell, there is no difference between the 64k and 3G cards. Plenty of people over at howardforums report having 3G access on their Blackjacks with only a 64k SIM card.
    This doesn't surprise me... ENS was about the logic used to select cell towers/networks and really had nothing to do with the service type or level. The tricky part at the time they first introduced ENS (abt two years ago or so) was that not all phones supported it. My Nokia 6820 did not, but the 650 did. And I would expect that any phone in Cingular's list since then does as well.