Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    680 arrived Tue 29th. Opened the box - was a bit dissapointed at first - didn't look much different to my 650. But picking it up I got a surprise - although the spec shows it as marginally smaller and lighter, it feels MUCH smaller and lighter - subtle changes to the design makes it much nicer to handle.

Battery was half charged. So I inserted my SIM and 1GB SD card and powered up. Takes a while to boot up.

Installed Palm Desktop over my old copy, plugged in the USB cable and hit HotSync. It warned me that some of my apps were not compatable with OS 5 - bit odd that since they were all running on my 650 - but continued with the HotSync anyway. After the HotSync I noticed the only app that wasn't installed was AgendusPro - so I did a second HotSync to install that. This worked fine. The only things that didn't transfer between the 650 and the 680 were my email passwords and my AgendusPro prefs. But that was fixed in a couple of minutes - everything else seemed OK, and I was up and running with all my old data. Total time from unpacking to working .. about 15 minutes. Not bad.

Been using the 680 for a couple of days now. So what have I learned?

(1) It rebooted on me a couple of times - this was when I used an app for the first time - seems to have settled down now.

(2) Sound quality / volume of the phone is better.

(3) Oveall the 680 is a much nicer design than the 650 - I know that might be difficult to believe if you just compare the tech spec and pictures - but you have to hold it and use it to understand what I mean (honest).

(4) Not sure if it works any faster than the 650 - Agendus still slow to start up.

(5) Don't like the new Phone App - silly icons at the bottom of the screen and the favourite screen is rubbish. Hopefully someone will produce a hack to put back the 650 version!

So, overall - I'm very pleased - my 650 was dying fast and needed replacing. I think the 680 is an 'upgrade' not a 'downgrade' or 'sidegrade'. Money well spent
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I looked at a 680 at the Cingular store and it is surprising what a difference the back of the device makes. They made the angles on the back more defined (less rounded) which is what I believe makes it "feel MUCH smaller and lighter". I'm still debating on whether or not to upgrade. I'm on T-Mo and expecting to have their 3G (UMTS) network available next summer. Since the 680 can't take advantage of it I don't really want to spend a couple of Benjamins now and then turn around and spend a couple more in 6 months.

What to do, what to do...

BTW, I've heard of other people having problems with Agendus Pro on the 680. They'll no doubt have an update out pretty quickly.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Have you had any other issues with Agendus? I can no longer click on a phone number in Contacts to dial. It tells me that may device may not have this capability.

There was always a noticeble lag when switching to the today view on the 650 so it isn't new. This become much worse for me with the 11.4 upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I looked at a 680 at the Cingular store and it is surprising what a difference the back of the device makes. They made the angles on the back more defined (less rounded) which is what I believe makes it "feel MUCH smaller and lighter". I'm still debating on whether or not to upgrade. I'm on T-Mo and expecting to have their 3G (UMTS) network available next summer. Since the 680 can't take advantage of it I don't really want to spend a couple of Benjamins now and then turn around and spend a couple more in 6 months.

What to do, what to do...

BTW, I've heard of other people having problems with Agendus Pro on the 680. They'll no doubt have an update out pretty quickly.
    It definitely feels smaller and lighter with those cut away edges. I love the form factor. But the status light problem is killing me, so I'm returning it.