1.    #1  
    I have a big question can i use the treo 680 in japan cuz if i cant then i am gong to swtich .
    heheh new treo 680

I've never been able to use GSM there, always rent a local phone.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    If you can find a local network that still using GSM
    It is a Quad Band phone 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 therefore it should work. If you take a phone from the States out of the country - you must notify your carrier prior to doing so in order for them to activate it overseas. And then also familiarize yourself with the dialing processes for each country.

You should be able to use your 680 in Japan but if you got an unlocked version it's possible that your particular network has not been 680 enabled yet and you might have to register the ESID number with your network in order to use it. Since you didn't specify what network - I'm guessing that if you got a hold of a Cingular branded unit and haven't notified Cingular of the new device or that you are in Japan, well it's a simple (perhaps a cost would be involved) for them to "enable" the phone for overseas operation.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I didn't think there were ANY GSM networks in Japan. It's not true that a quad phone will work anywhere--it will only work where GSM is the standard, which is most, but not all, places.
  6.    #6  
    thanks guys well then i have to get a 3g phone right or what can i get to work over there in japan
    heheh new treo 680

A double check at Cingular shows two compatible carriers (misnomer) that use UTMS at 2100 frequency -

Won't work in Japan - if you are a Cingular customer they recommend you "rent" one as noted by cccomputing.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    It is a Quad Band phone 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 therefore it should work. If you take a phone from the States out of the country - you must notify your carrier prior to doing so in order for them to activate it overseas. And then also familiarize yourself with the dialing processes for each country.

You should be able to use your 680 in Japan but if you got an unlocked version it's possible that your particular network has not been 680 enabled yet and you might have to register the ESID number with your network in order to use it. Since you didn't specify what network - I'm guessing that if you got a hold of a Cingular branded unit and haven't notified Cingular of the new device or that you are in Japan, well it's a simple (perhaps a cost would be involved) for them to "enable" the phone for overseas operation.
    Hey dude -- make sure you know what you're talking about, "quad band GSM" obviously doesn't work in countries that don't use GSM (e.g., Japan)
    we were just over there 4 months ago and our Cingular Moto phone could never find a network. I would rent....
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Actually 3G is also GSM CMIIW, but we're 2.5G here.

Japan is listed here: http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_jp.shtml
  11.    #11  
    so what phone that cingular has can i get to travel over there i just want to pop a sim card in and bang be on my way
    heheh new treo 680

Quote Originally Posted by rickster1221 View Post
    so what phone that cingular has can i get to travel over there i just want to pop a sim card in and bang be on my way
    You cannot. Most people rent a phone for use in Japan and forward their calls. Of course, you must setup forwarding before you leave a GSM country.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickster1221 View Post
    As stated - you'll have to rent one. Cingular doesn't yet use 2100 Frequency.
    Moose Man
    Prepaid GSM is the best site I know for boning up on different countries:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/japan.html

Japan has always been quite isolated talking about mobile phone technology.

Their extensive 2G networks are in the PDC standard, which is not used outside Japan, while they have a CDMA (upgraded to CDMA 2000 1x Ev Do) network as well (KDDI) which could be good for some foreigners coming from Korea or America, but not for the big GSM public.

In the last years NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone are building their new W-CDMA 2100 networks, which have a good coverage in bigger towns, but still lack behind the 2G networks throughout the country.

By now there is no prepaid offer on W-CDMA, so the best way to use a dual-mode GSM/UMTS phone in Japan is with a United Mobile prepaid card.

The strange fact is that officially there should be no roaming in Japan, but our friends Donald and Stu used their Riiing (now UM) card there with no problems, so we can actually say that it works.

Travelsim also states that it works in Japan, with free incoming calls, but no one of our friends have tried by now.
    The only Palm Treo that will work in Japan is the 750v. It has quad-band GMS and tri-mode UMTS (850/1900/2100).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I was in Japan recently, and was pleasantly surprised to see that my 3G phone (a GSM/UMTS Nokia E61) did work like a charm over there. That wasn't the case last time I had tried with a quad-band GSM phone, you'll absolutely need UMTS to connect, there are no (2G or 2.5G) GSM networks out there...

In other words, the 680 will be a nice unconnected PDA (save for bluetooth, of course) in Japan. Probably the reason why you never find any Treo in Akihabara's shops!

On the other hand, it's true that the UMTS capable Treo 750 would most certainly work like a charm in Japan, if you absolutely want a Treo. But if you want to stick to PalmOS instead, you're out of luck...