1.    #1  
    I have not installed any new 3rd party apps in a year. A couple days ago, every time I hotsync, all looked okay (even the log), but then after the "Cleaning up, please wait" message, the device resets itself, and I find that none of the new Calendar entries were synched to the Treo. So, I tried a soft reset, then a system reset, and finally I did the renaming of the backup folder, and did a hard reset. Since I am using the Datebk5 instead of the Palm calendar, that was the first thing I tried to reinstall. To my dismay, the first hotsync after the hard reset still caused a reset, nothing synched, which now means that I do not have ANY calendar entries. This is disastrous for me, as I REALLY REALLY need it. I wonder if there is something wrong with the Treo itself, since none of the 3rd party apps were reinstalled? Suggestions please, anyone?
    Use dbScan (get the latest version from Pimlicosoftware site) and run it.

Post (or search) here if you need help in running it.

Do you have your calendar entries in Palm Desktop?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Luckily, all data is still on Palm Desktop. Actaully I found that even if I add any new Contact entries on my computer, it does not get synched also, ever since this reset problem occurred.

I would like to try the dbscan. The only thing is, I cannot get it on my Treo as everything that was synched and installed seem to get erased by the reset after the "Cleaning up, please wait message". I noticed also that after the hotsync (which the log says was okay), there is this dingdong sound from the computer (which is normal), and it is THEN that the Treo resets and erases everything. Is there a way to install dbscan right on the Treo without going through Palm Desktop?
    One of the last things it backs up is Saved Preferences. Maybe that's corrupt ..

The fact that after renaming the Backup directory, and a hard reset, you still cannot complete the Hotsync.

How about giving the Treo a new name on Hotsync after hard reset. Does that complete? If so, then the problem is in the Calendar data on your PC under the original Hotsync ID.

If you disable all conduits but Calendar, do a hard reset, rename Backup directory, and Hotsync, then problem is in the Calendar data. Try exporting all, closing Palm Desktop, deleting the files in the Datebook directory on the PC, importing the data back into Calendar on the Palm Desktop. Maybe that will clear it up. But you could lose your data if there is a glitch in this process of export+import. So beware..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your detailed instructions. Somehow, the syncing started to work BEFORE I did anything, meaning everything got synced! It still hangs on "Cleaning up" screen, and it resets itself when I took it off the cradle. So, I thought, phew - lucky. But, silly old me, I tried to install everything back using the newest versions. Lo and behold, I upgraded to the Datebk 6 from Datebk 5, and then the device went into a continuous reset loop after I installed the new Datebk 6! So, I had to redo everything, hard reset and all. Then, I discovered something really odd - there were some random entries in the last 4 months that got missing immediately after the clean installation after the hard reset- it's like for every day, 6 out of 8 entries were gone, and some days nothing got synced. Luckily everything is still on Palm Desktop, and I made sure that I had "Desktop overwrites handheld" everytime. Even after several tries of hard resetting and renaming the old Backup folder, I am still missing the last few months calendar entries.

Sigh, I should have left well enough alone, and not try to upgrade to the Datebk 6.

I tried searching the forums for a similar problem, but it seems that people's calendar problems do not get partly synced. I also thought about the dbscan, but then part of the instruction says to do "Handheld overwrites desktop". I am deathly afraid that I will lose all that data if I do this, so I dare not run it. Any suggestions other than manually putting in ALL the entries in the past 4 months into my Treo?

Thanks so much for your help. I am so bad at things technical, and your expertise is really appreciated.
  6.    #6  
    BIG problem now. With subsequent hot syncs after my last post, I was able to retrieve ALMOST ALL of the past 4 months' missing calendar entries, except for the 3 entries I made tonight. I then tried to install dbscan (to check for corrupt database) by hotsyncing (desktop overwrites handheld). The result? All data from the calendar is lost, EVEN ON MY DESKTOP!!!! Strangest thing is, the 3 entries that I entered tonight are still there, but every other calendar entry from the past several years are gone!!

I then checked the backup file in C:\Program Files\Palm\userid. I found that this file only contained 3 things: Temp007, Datebk5DB.PDB, and dbscan.prc, totalling only 82KBs!!! There is still a backupold file that had 3.5MB of data in it, so I can go back to that one if necessary.

Another thing that may help - last week I installed Palm Desktop on my husband's computer (when the "Cleaning Up, please wait" problem was occurring), so most of my data is on his computer's Palm Desktop. I did the hard reset and renaming the backup folder on his computer. Now after a few hotsyncs, I checked his "backup" file in C:\Program Files\Palm\userid, and found that it is EMPTY on his computer! There is also a backupold file on it that seems fine. The important thing is, I can still see all my entries on his Palm Desktop.

My hands are trembling as I type this, as I have no idea what I did wrong, and don't want to do anything to lose my data on my husband's computer. I am tempted to buy a 680 (as I am fairly sure there is something internally wrong with my 650), and try to do a clean install from my husband's computer. Only thing is, the backup file on it is empty! How do I install the new device cleanly? I am sorry if I am not thinking right - I am so desperate and disoriented when I lost all the calendar entries on my computer.

Please please please HELP asap ...
    The calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Memos are not stored in the C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Backup directory. They are in the C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Datebook, C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Todo, C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Address and C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Memopad directories.
    The C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Backup directory has the program files and data for the 3rd party software.
    It is important to keep track of what is overwriting what when Hotsyncing after doing resets etc.
    Your husband's computer has your calendar (under your Hotsync ID) on the Palm Desktop. Make a copy of the files in his C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Datebook directory as a backup. Disable ALL conduits except Calendar (right-click the Hotsync icon and select Custom, select each conduit and click Change). Set the Calendar conduit to Desktop overwrites Handheld and Hotsync.

That should get the Calendar data on to your Treo. Now run latest version of dbScan V-2.0a (the program is documented in the manual, links below):
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm has dbScan
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6-v60a-manual.zip has dbscan documentation.
    If you have a card reader, you can copy the dbscan.prc over to the \Palm\Launcher directory of the SD card. This is another way to install the program.
    This should clear up any corruption and remove deleted records.
    For all things related to Calendar, Datebk, post in http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/pimlicodatebk/
    There are very helpful and knowledgeable folks there including the author of Datebk.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the quick reply. A couple more questions before I proceed, just to be exact:

1. To make a copy of the files in his C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Datebook directory as a backup, I should select the 3 items on it (datebook - DAT file, datebook.bak, and UiPref-DAT file) and then copy to, say, his desktop, right?

2. Disable the other conduits - does this mean I should change everything to "Do nothing", except for Calendar, which should be "desktop overwrites handheld"?

3. I found that on my C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Datebook, the largest file is the datebook.dat file containing 5300KBs was last modified in 2/05! (The datebook.dat file modified yesterday had only 3KBs.) I then checked my husband's C:\Program Files\Palm\<userid>\Datebook. I found that the datebook.dat file modified last week is 2059KBs only! But it seems that all entries are there on his Palm Desktop. Why the doubling of file size in mine, I wonder? Corrupt entries?

4. Just to be on the safe side again, I tried to make a copy of the address and memo (the only 2 things I use) on my husband's desktop, but a message popped up to ask if I wanted to replace the UiPref file (of the Datebook) with the UiPref file for Address. Should I say yes, or should I not try to copy the address and memo at all?

Aprasad, you are so helpful, and I really apprecitate it.
    1. Yes. Because of files having the same name (as you found out in 4.), create subdirectories and copy the files into these, instead of all into the Desktop on the PC (which is just another directory on the PC).
    2. Yes
    3. The doubling could be because of duplication. Palm Desktop has a Repair option (Tools->Options->Tools tab). Run that in Palm Desktop. Once you are convinced that the Calendar on the PC is OK, proceed to load it into the Treo using Hotsync with just the Calendar conduit, and that set to Desktop overwriting the handheld.
    4. Copy the files into their own backup directories (create the 4 subdirectories for this purpose).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  10.    #10  
    Since I did not sleep until 2 last night, my husband ended up buying me a 680 today. Was on the phone with the Palm tech guy for 3 hours!!!! Did everything using my husband's computer since he had my data, but the new unit kept resetting once the first hotsync ended. Finally had to change my user name, and add each category separately for hotsync, with him walking me through the entire process. I am still walking gingerly with the 680 hoping the no resetting in the past few hours continue ... Okay so now that I have the 680 up and running (I hope), I went back to the 650 and did what you suggested. Hah, it synced on the first try, and it did not even hang on the cleaning up screen! Everything seemed to work - all contacts, memos, and calendar are in there, but when I took it to dinner just now and fiddled with it, searching the contacts to call someone, it promptly reset. Tried several times to type in the contact name, but to no avail. So, I guess I have no choice but to give up this 650 for good. Something must be internally wrong with it.

I am not sure how to use the dbscan - installed it, chose "neither" and tried to delete records from both palm source and palm something else. It seems to hang for very long, and then the unit freezes, and nothing happens. Am I doing this correctly?

One more question - I set up the 680 on my husband's computer with a new user name. So now, on my computer, I opened a new user name on Palm Desktop, and did a hotsync to get the data onto my computer. I did not use the new 680 CD which came with the unit. (I did use it on his computer earlier.) Do you think this is okay? If not, should I still try to install that CD on my computer, even though it will be fiddling with a good thing ...

THANK YOU again.
    I think it is always a good idea to use the CD that came with the latest device. Uninstall Palm desktop and install it from the CD. You should also check out the CD in case there are any free stuff on it.. like games etc.

As far as dbScan is concerned, the most common procedure is to select Neither on startup and then do a Menu-Options-Remove all deleted records.

I'd advise you to start totally clean with the 680. You could try exporting the Contacts etc from the older hotsync ID on the PC and importing them into the 680 profile. Do a fresh install of all applications after you are sure that the basic phone+Calendar+Contacts+Tasks+Memos works to your satisfaction.

And buy a good SD card based backup program. I like Resco Explorer or Backup.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #12  
    Do you mean NV Backup?
    Resco Backup is a separate more featured software. Resco Explorer has a fully functional backup feature in it (no scheduled backups, though).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Why would you need a backup to the sd card when there is a back in the palm folder on the computer?
    The backup to the PC does not back up all files, only those that the developer has chosen (by setting the Backup attribute of the files). Good 3rd party backup software will typically backup all files. Some settings are in Unsaved Preferences file that does not get backed up to the PC

If your Treo crashes while on the road, you can restore it from a SD card based backup.

You can have multiple backups (like before and after installing a major application) on the SD card.

Generally speaking, the PC based Backup conduit will get you the Treo almost to where you want it.. but because of the above reasons, most people use a 3rd party backup software as well. Belt and suspenders.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I was getting a reset after every hotsync. So I typed the ##377 and found out it was Docs to Go - PowerPoint to Go. I had made a powerpoint and failed to close the program correctly. So I reset the settings on Docs to go and no more resets.
    I get them frequently but after typing in the same number it just tells me Hotsync and fatal exception?
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I think it is always a good idea to use the CD that came with the latest device. Uninstall Palm desktop and install it from the CD. You should also check out the CD in case there are any free stuff on it.. like games etc.

As far as dbScan is concerned, the most common procedure is to select Neither on startup and then do a Menu-Options-Remove all deleted records.

I'd advise you to start totally clean with the 680. You could try exporting the Contacts etc from the older hotsync ID on the PC and importing them into the 680 profile. Do a fresh install of all applications after you are sure that the basic phone+Calendar+Contacts+Tasks+Memos works to your satisfaction.

And buy a good SD card based backup program. I like Resco Explorer or Backup.

THANK U FOR all this useful info

dbscan got me out of a freezing issue when i hotsynced

My T650 started resetting at the end of every hotsync this morning. I haven't added much new info the past couple of days, so I just reverted to my backup from night before last.

Did I mention how much I like NVBackup????

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.