1.    #1  
    Is the Pocket Tunes Deluxe that comes with the music pack a trial or a registered version?
    I think it is a trial. But I hope it is the deluxe edition. The deluxe allows shoutcast streaming.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    It's just the standard Pocket Tunes - not the delux version (although you can run it in delux mode for 14 days).

Can't see any advantage in buying the delux vesion. I used RealPlayerOne on my 650, but now using Pocket Tunes on the 680 cos it comes bundled. It plays all my music that I installed using RealPlayer, so does the job.
  4.    #4  
    Interesting. Isn't the Pocket Tunes Deluxe one of the "benefits" of the music pack? I'm curious how they get the $135 value - certainly it can't all be the 1G card and headphones. You can get a 14 day trial for free!

I primarily want the Deluxe because it seems to be the only player out there with bookmarking. I listen to a lot of long podcasts and being able to mark my spot and go to it quickly would be great. It's a pain to routinely try and find where I left off. A quibble, but for $135 you'd think it would be the full version.
    The Unlocked Palm bonus pack promotion description claims:
    Palm Treo 680 Music CD includes Pocket Tunes™ Deluxe and FREE 30-day trial to Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go

Since they mention that the Yahoo! Music thing is a 30-day trial, I would expect that they would have done a disclaimer if the Pocket Tunes Deluxe was only a limited trial.
    Last edited by Bruce; 12/01/2006 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The promotion description claims:
    Palm Treo 680 Music CD includes Pocket Tunes™ Deluxe and FREE 30-day trial to Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go

Since they mention that the Yahoo! Music thing is a 30-day trial, I would expect that they would have done a disclaimer if the Pocket Tunes Deluxe was only a limited trial.
    On the Cingular CD (Not Palm Unlocked), it is a 14 day trial, plus you can buy the deluxe version at a discount, for $24.95. The Deluxe version gives you the ability to stream audio, podcasts, etc, plus you can bookmark, etc.

I am not sure about the Palm bonus pack.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    My question is: What program is in ROM? If I do buy (or otherwise obtain) a registration code for PocketTunes Deluxe, do I need to install the Deluxe version into RAM, or does the ROM code already include the Deluxe pieces?
    The Deluxe version allows you to hotsync WMA files to you Treo from Windows Media Player. The basic version does not. This is why I upgraded.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    For everyone wondering, the version of pocket tunes deluxe that comes in the music pack is in fact the full version. I just installed it and it isn't a trial.
    guess the Cingular locked version is trial while unlocked GSMs are full...sweet!
    I am talking about the one that came on the music pack cd, not the one that came on the getting started cd.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    The Pocket Tunes Deluxe that comes with the Music pack CD is full version. While the Yahoo! Unlimited is only a trial.
    If anyone already has PocketTunes and would like to sell me the one that comes on the CD then send me a private message. I have a lifetime version of Aeroplayer and would like to switch to PT deluxe if I can get it at a good price.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Don't worry about receiving a trial to Pocket Tunes. The promotion clearly states "Buy a Treo 680 smartphone, and get Pocket Tunes Deluxe free (with 1GB card etc).

It said nothing about unlocked phones getting Deluxe or locked phones getting the trial Pocket Deluxe..
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Must be a different package in the UK - it *is* the 14 day trial with the unlocked GSM.

.... about the delux version doing bookmarks. The version of Blazer on the 680 will run streaming and podcasts - and you can book mark the pages. So I won't be upgrading to delux as I can listen to web radio using Blazer.

Also - Pocket Tunes is in ROM and RAM. I did the free upgrade as part of the registration process - so I'm not sure if it started off all in the ROM or not.
  16.    #16  
    Thank you! That's what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    For everyone wondering, the version of pocket tunes deluxe that comes in the music pack is in fact the full version. I just installed it and it isn't a trial.
    I think you have to buy the cingular version FROM THE PALM STORE to get that music pak. I didn't check the UK site though.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop_dtx View Post
    I think you have to buy the cingular version FROM THE PALM STORE to get that music pak. I didn't check the UK site though.
    Nope. Unlocked version direct from Palm came with it as well, so no need for the Cingular version.

I do find it a little lame that they come up with a pay-required upgrade within a few weeks of the 680 release. P-Tunes doesn't seem to recognize the version that comes on the 680 as a "real" purchase, so if we want 4.0 - even though we just purchased 3.x a month ago - we have to buy it. Whatever.
    sorry, what i meant was that if you buy the phone from palm, either the unlocked version or the branded one you get the music pak.

if you buy from cingular store you might not get the free music pak with card and ptunes deluxe.

i have the unlocked version. no trial came with regular ptunes, upgraded the other night to deluxe. no trial.