Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dad gum it. The form factor is really cool, etc.

But this pathetic LED is a huge step backwards from the 650. On the 650, I had Chatter do solid orange, corporate e-mail do fast green, slow green for connected to my provider, solid green for charged, solid red for charging/making a network connection.

The 680 LED does not do fast green or solid orange. Chatter will do solid green, but my corporate e-mail can no longer control the LED. I can't look at the LED anymore to see if my phone is actually on or with a network connection.

This is sad. I've lost huge functionality with the 680.
    Can the LED go to green, orange, and red at all? If so, you can bet that there will probably be a 3rd party app that will give you that functionality back. I like the multiple colors too. Using butler, I have orange for sms, red for voicemail, flashing green the rest of the time.
    is this tongue in cheek? u can't live without the flashing led?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cutoffcirc View Post
    Can the LED go to green, orange, and red at all? If so, you can bet that there will probably be a 3rd party app that will give you that functionality back. I like the multiple colors too. Using butler, I have orange for sms, red for voicemail, flashing green the rest of the time.
    No, the device is physically incapable of showing orange or fast green.
    I don't use Chatter but isn't realistic to expect that it will have to be updated to work with the 680? I would think this is something that could be fixed in a future release.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    Dad gum it. The form factor is really cool, etc.

But this pathetic LED is a huge step backwards from the 650. On the 650, I had Chatter do solid orange, corporate e-mail do fast green, slow green for connected to my provider, solid green for charged, solid red for charging/making a network connection.

The 680 LED does not do fast green or solid orange. Chatter will do solid green, but my corporate e-mail can no longer control the LED. I can't look at the LED anymore to see if my phone is actually on or with a network connection.

This is sad. I've lost huge functionality with the 680.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    is this tongue in cheek? u can't live without the flashing led?
    I can't. In a meeting, I could set the device on the table and just see what was happening, without it making noise or vibrating. That was awesome.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I don't use Chatter but isn't realistic to expect that it will have to be updated to work with the 680? I would think this is something that could be fixed in a future release.
    It is a device limitation. I guess this is a Palm for the masses after all.
    It is a device limitation. I guess this is a Palm for the masses after all.

How did you determine that it's a device limitation. Did you find this out from Marc at Chatter or someother reliable source......or is this just a rant?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    How did you determine that it's a device limitation. Did you find this out from Marc at Chatter or someother reliable source......or is this just a rant?
    Yep! Reliable source, and a rant too. I really wanted to keep the 680.
    Yep! Reliable source, and a rant too. I really wanted to keep the 680.
    What reliable source? Cuz, if you talked to Palm tech support and didn't talk to a level 3 tech or supervisor - they typically don't have a clue because they are script readers.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It has been updated to work with the 680 and, indeed, it works fine with the 680. The 680 just doesn't have those color combos in its LED. It was really nice to have that feature, it's true, but the real killer seems to be the battery. It's one thing not to have a feature. It's another not to have a working device at all.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I'm colorblind, anyway, so I can never tell the difference. But I understand your situation. It seems like there were definitely a few steps backward on the 680. Overall, though, the benefits outweigh the downsides by a long shot so far. At least for me. Blazer is a whole new experience.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    It has been updated to work with the 680 and, indeed, it works fine with the 680. The 680 just doesn't have those color combos in its LED. It was really nice to have that feature, it's true, but the real killer seems to be the battery. It's one thing not to have a feature. It's another not to have a working device at all.
    Saves $1 off the parts cost for the bi-color LED and blink hardware ;-)
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo View Post
    Saves $1 off the parts cost for the bi-color LED and blink hardware ;-)

It is bicolor. Turns Red from the charger or when the phone is turned on. That is the only way that you can get red, so any combo color (orange for ex. ) is not available to programmers.
    oh my god.. you want to return the device because of the status light... unbelievable.

but I think you should return it though, I know for sure you will find every tiny bit of problem and will use that as an excuse.
    I didn't even know that was possible with the LED. I just accepted what was stock and never messed with it. I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 680!
    Enjoy what you do, or do something else!
    The 600 handles the LED the same way... Green when charged, Red when charging, blinking when the SIM is out. I haven't felt limited by this.

However.. I'm returning my 680 IMMEDIATELY because it's missing its antennae! What a huge oversight! How am I supposed to know whether the cell phone is working without that stubby little nubbin?! OUTRAGEOUS! Back in the box it goes... stat.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    The 8125 mixed green and red to make orange when needed, so I'm sure the time will come where the 680 will be able to do the same with a 3rd party app like on the 650. Have patience, and realize that you are one of the chosen ones to have a 680 before lots of us do.

Enjoy the other good features of it for me.
    I say let the third party programmers come up with new, creative solutions. I bet that within a month or so ChatterEmail, Butler, etc. has come up with ways of using the 680 LED almost like the 650 LED but without the orange color. A red/green blink, two green blinks and one red blink, things like that can tell you what's going on with your email, voicemail, missed calls, charging etc.

~Christopher
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    What reliable source? Cuz, if you talked to Palm tech support and didn't talk to a level 3 tech or supervisor - they typically don't have a clue because they are script readers.

Well, the creator of Butler had this to say….

“this sucks. I can't think of any way I'll be able to bring other colours back...”

Hows that for a reliable source?

Joe
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast