Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i don't get it. what REAL purpose does a different/blinking LED light offer you in a business meeting? i'm at a loss. what do you mean you could "see what was happening, without it making noise or vibrating" ? i'm trying to understand is all. don't you need to pick up the phone to actually see the emails or who may have called? perhaps the blinking LED sends morse code signals and that's what i've failed to realize.

On my 650, solid orange means a Chatter (personal) e-mail or a voicemail attahment has arrived. Fast green means a corporte e-mail has arrived. Slow green means I'm at least on the network getting signal.

On my 680, I can't tell (from the LED) if the phone is actually on. Chatter will be solid green, but corporate can't light the LED. When my 680 is in the cradle, I can't tell "charged" from "new Chatter e-mail." My 650 clarifies this.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I would always leave a meeting to take an email. But then again, the meetings are generally about me.
    I'll discretely, under the table, take a glance at the new e-mail. Sometimes in a meeting someone will ask a question; i'll email someone for the answer; then be able to tell when I have a response by the LED.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Wah wah wah. Has it occurred to anyone the target customer for the 680 is not a corporate user but a first-time smartphone user? These are the folks who have never installed a third-party app....
    I think that's right. Corporate users should stick with the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    On my 650, solid orange means a Chatter (personal) e-mail or a voicemail attahment has arrived. Fast green means a corporte e-mail has arrived. Slow green means I'm at least on the network getting signal.

On my 680, I can't tell (from the LED) if the phone is actually on. Chatter will be solid green, but corporate can't light the LED. When my 680 is in the cradle, I can't tell "charged" from "new Chatter e-mail." My 650 clarifies this.

why does this matter? at some point you still have to pick up the phone. perhaps what you're meaning to say is that it serves as a reminder of some case. as for your phone being on, it's probably on...wouldn't you think? as for being on the network, do you really have to know that when meeting with people?

interesting original post. very interesting and demanding needs.

best success
    This is interesting.

I remember when the Treo 650 came out, there was a thread where the focus was the complaint was on the LED, as to how bright it is, blinking drives them nuts, it was a bad design compared to the Treo 600, etc.

Maybe, next time those design engineers can come up with a custom design your Treo before you buy it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    This is interesting.

I remember when the Treo 650 came out, there was a thread where the focus was the complaint was on the LED, as to how bright it is, blinking drives them nuts, it was a bad design compared to the Treo 600, etc.

Maybe, next time those design engineers can come up with a custom design your Treo before you buy it?

I was just going to comment on the very same thing. I remember all the countless threads at the 650 release from people who were calling Palm every name in the book, and claiming headaches, anxiety from driving at night with the blinking light, not understanding the need for all the colors, etc. There were SO MANY COMPLAINTS about the blinking LED, that developers write programs to shut them off. It also appears that a few developers took advantage of this LED to write applications.

I am sorry, but it is humorous, but unbelievably predictable to watch the evolution of these threads...except the process is so much quicker now.
    Yesterday-"I am soooo excited to get my new Treo, why can't they send it to me?
    Today - "Hooray, I finally got my new Treo!!!"
    Today + 5 minutes - "This things sucks - it does not make my coffee mug tell me it's down to only 1/3 full"
    Last edited by MattM2G; 12/02/2006 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Bad speeling ;)
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I sure hope so. But it sounds like, from the developers, it's just not possible. But, once that's fixed, i'll re-purchase a 680, and maybe the price will have come down.
    You are too negative. Can you post the developers' websites who said that it's just not possible to alter the LED settings? I don't see the point in Palm purposely blocking that off from 3rd party apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I was just going to comment on the very same thing. I remember all the countless threads at the 650 release from people who were calling Palm every name in the book, and claiming headaches, anxiety from driving at night with the blinking light, not understanding the need for all the colors, etc. There were SO MANY COMPLAINTS about the blinking LED, that developers write programs to shut them off. It also appears that a few developers took advantage of this LED to write applications.

Well this certainly proves you can never please everyone no matter what you do! Honestly I never even knew the 650 has so many LED colors and functions until this thread, all I remember is red and green solid and I think green flashing.

Any phone with a blue LED? I think that'd be cool!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    The obvious solution would be to make the LEDs configurable in the Palm's preferences. Shouldn't be too hard for Palm? Wouldn't this please all of us?

~Christopher
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    You are too negative. Can you post the developers' websites who said that it's just not possible to alter the LED settings? I don't see the point in Palm purposely blocking that off from 3rd party apps.
    This from Marc Blank, developer of ChatterEmail over at www.chatteremail.com:

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:29 pm

The 680 has VERY limited control of the LED (problem is in hardware); there's only the solid green that can be controlled.

Marc
    But I'm still hoping!

~Christopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I don't use Chatter but isn't realistic to expect that it will have to be updated to work with the 680? I would think this is something that could be fixed in a future release.
    Chatter was apparently tested on the 680 months before it launched... as long asd you're using the latest Chatter betas, you're all set now.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post

I am sorry, but it is humorous, but unbelievable predictable to watch the evolution of these threads...except the process is so much quicker now.
    Yesterday-"I am soooo excited to get my new Treo, why can't they send it to me?
    Today - "Hooray, I finally got my new Treo!!!"
    Today + 5 minutes - "This things sucks - it does not make my coffee mug tell me it down to only 1/3 full"
    lol.....Sounds like one of the traits of Affluenza if you ask me!

affluenza, n. a......painful, contagious, virally transmitted .....the dogged pursuit of more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affluenza

I think sociologists have some other term for it too...Consumer dissatisfaction or something like that...the excitement of a product purchase...is soon followed by feelings of remorse..did I buy the right one? Did I get the wrong colour? I should have got the next model that's coming soon!

You know we could have a Treo with an 80 gb HD...1024x768 Screen Res...quad core processors...5.1 digital audio...High Def video...WIFI, inbuilt GPS...20 day battery life....unfoldable 15 inch screen...all in the compact size of a matchbox...and I reckon we'd all manage to find something wrong with it!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'll discretely, under the table, take a glance at the new e-mail. Sometimes in a meeting someone will ask a question; i'll email someone for the answer; then be able to tell when I have a response by the LED.
    So you read your emails while in my meetings?? YOUR FIRED!!! -Trump
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    To quote Rob, of Butler etc fame :
    "this sucks. I can't think of any way I'll be able to bring other colours back..."

Checkout the below if you still can not believe it

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,42699.0.html
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    actually it was nice to see if the phone was on or off, or if you have signal without turning the screen on.

I would like this functionality back (as well as the 650 phone app - I preferred the favorites method. actually if truth be known, the BEST phone screen was on the 600 where u could assign apps to the 5 way key. I wish that still existed).
    i'm trying hard here.....and am trying to remain respectful.....

if the phone was on/off last time the user handled it wouldn't that still be the case after the fact?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Man, just lest this thread DIE already.

So many people are "trying to understand" the need for the LED controll. No need to try. It is a thing some used and liked. That's it.

Joe
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Man, just lest this thread DIE already.

So many people are "trying to understand" the need for the LED control. No need to try. It is a thing some used and liked. That's it.

Joe
    Agreed Joe! There seems to be bigger issues that we can gripe about, i.e lag issues, software compatibility, and actually receiving the unlocked Graphite 680's! An LED not working like it use to? Come on. If anyone hates it that much, just return the darn thing. Geez.
    Last edited by wcarr3; 12/02/2006 at 10:40 AM.
    I don't care about the LED, I do care about the battery life. I charged it last night. This morning I used the phone for 38 minutes and my battery was a little bit below half. Hopefully it will get better. Also the stylus is as cheap as they come. Holding it in your hand when you touch the screen it flexes. Can't wait for an aftermarket stylus that is metal to come out. HUGE difference after using the 650 stylus for so long!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i'm trying hard here.....and am trying to remain respectful.....

if the phone was on/off last time the user handled it wouldn't that still be the case after the fact?
    Sometimes on the 650 anyway the phone would just turn off, for no apparent reason. Maybe the 680 will never do that. But at least on the 650 you could tell from the LED that it had happened.

Or sometimes you´ve been running around and have forgotten whether you turned the phone on. Whip it out, glance at the LED, and you know. Those days are gone now...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast